Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Lets face facts all passive traits are not created equal. It's already proven that you can't build Spock in the game. because you would need 5 traits ( I guess that's what legends are made of) you would need Logical, Physical Strength, Nerve Pinch, mind Meld, and Astrophysicist.
But seriously if you want to be the most capable of characters Aliens blow Humans, Vulcans, and et al away.

The four biggies
Accurate
Efficient
Elusive
Warp Theorist
each and every toon I make is a human/ humanoid looking Alien just to take those four passives. ( And I'm not alone) I know there is a lot on the devs plates but with a skill tree revamp coming we need to look at the big picture. Skill trees are directly linked to B.O's and passive traits and now might be the optimal time to reconsider and allow for incentives to players not to have to make Aliens.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
11-03-2011, 02:03 PM
Personally I create characters of differing species to play those different species and experience their eccentricities. I build Alien characters to try to simulate some of the canon species that have not yet been released and create new species of my own. I never ever ever build a character with the objective of maximizing my effectiveness at any particular portion of the game (PvE, Raids, PvP) and I don't think the devs should spend any time reworking Traits so that min/maxing is the standard line of thinking when choosing a species.

Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
11-03-2011, 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakout View Post
Lets face facts all passive traits are not created equal. It's already proven that you can't build Spock in the game. because you would need 5 traits ( I guess that's what legends are made of) you would need Logical, Physical Strength, Nerve Pinch, mind Meld, and Astrophysicist.
But seriously if you want to be the most capable of characters Aliens blow Humans, Vulcans, and et al away.

The four biggies
Accurate
Efficient
Elusive
Warp Theorist
each and every toon I make is a human/ humanoid looking Alien just to take those four passives. ( And I'm not alone) I know there is a lot on the devs plates but with a skill tree revamp coming we need to look at the big picture. Skill trees are directly linked to B.O's and passive traits and now might be the optimal time to reconsider and allow for incentives to players not to have to make Aliens.
Aha! I find something we can agree on!

Indeed, strike while the iron is hot Cryptic.

In the meantime however, I do what Blackavaar does, in fact I have no "Alien" chars at all, I just live with it but it would be nice to be on a bit more of an even footing with "Alien". Is the human trait fixed yet, does anyone know?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
11-03-2011, 02:12 PM
Aliens should pay for their variety with having less traits than standard races.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
11-03-2011, 02:13 PM
it took a wile but i finally figured out that an alien with those traits is better then any joined trill or borg i could build
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
11-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Because not everyone is a min/max type.

I roll an alien when I want to make an alien character. I roll an existing race when I want to play an existing race. It's that simple.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
11-03-2011, 02:28 PM
Vulcan's make great crowd control science officers with mind meld and nerve pinch. Andorians make great ground engineers with aggressive, creative and fury.

Alien's also make great ground spec'ed tactical. with Acute senses, aggressive, creative and solider.

You can do very well in space PVP with character with all ground traits and ground spec'ed. They really make a difference in ground combat too.

I had a space spec'ed alien for space combat but abandoned him. Because I could do just a well with a ground trait and spec'ed character.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
11-03-2011, 03:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
Vulcan's make great crowd control science officers with mind meld and nerve pinch. Andorians make great ground engineers with aggressive, creative and fury.

Alien's also make great ground spec'ed tactical. with Acute senses, aggressive, creative and solider.

You can do very well in space PVP with character with all ground traits and ground spec'ed. They really make a difference in ground combat too.

I had a space spec'ed alien for space combat but abandoned him. Because I could do just a well with a ground trait and spec'ed character.
But the sad fact is an Alien can do each of those roles better than the mentioned races. I don't want to force people into min/ maxing, I want to give people incentives to make true races. I know the Devs have a lot on their plate but my original premise is still true. Revamping the skill tree is the only perfect time to address racial traits. I like Kitsurommels notion of limiting numer of traits, however I would suggest race characters get a total of 5 traits ( 2 race, 3 chosen) to an Aliens freeform 4. It would be to repressive to go back now and take 1 trait away from Aliens.

I don't like playing Aliens.. I became frustrated because I'd pick a race like Joined Trill and find out Aliens are better tacs. Or I wanted to make a Vulcan science officer and realized there is no benefit. I could make an alien and make them look like a Vulcan, and they would perform better.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
11-03-2011, 04:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakout View Post
I like Kitsurommels notion of limiting numer of traits, however I would suggest race characters get a total of 5 traits ( 2 race, 3 chosen) to an Aliens freeform 4. It would be to repressive to go back now and take 1 trait away from Aliens.
I should have phrased it differently but that was what I meant.

I don't think it's particularly fair either that if you make a "real" Vulcan or Gorn you have no choices in traits.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
11-03-2011, 04:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakout View Post
But the sad fact is an Alien can do each of those roles better than the mentioned races. I don't want to force people into min/ maxing, I want to give people incentives to make true races. I know the Devs have a lot on their plate but my original premise is still true. Revamping the skill tree is the only perfect time to address racial traits. I like Kitsurommels notion of limiting numer of traits, however I would suggest race characters get a total of 5 traits ( 2 race, 3 chosen) to an Aliens freeform 4. It would be to repressive to go back now and take 1 trait away from Aliens.

I don't like playing Aliens.. I became frustrated because I'd pick a race like Joined Trill and find out Aliens are better tacs. Or I wanted to make a Vulcan science officer and realized there is no benefit. I could make an alien and make them look like a Vulcan, and they would perform better.
Aliens can't do as good at crowd control as Vulcan's because they can't get any real crowd control traits. They are are superior over all. Even in appearance because they can look like a Klingon in one uniform slot, then look like Cardassian in another.

I have though for awhile traits need to be reworked. Some of the trait pools are pretty bad. Not long after launch people commented on how many aliens there are runny around.

KitsuneRommel idea is a good one.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:47 AM.