Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
11-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil
MVAE can run shockwave I but granted its not as good as running shockwave III on a BOP.
Who runs shock 3? For the damage? As opposed to running CRF3???
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
11-04-2011, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Korhil
MVAE can run shockwave I but granted its not as good as running shockwave III on a BOP.
shockwave 3? you're kidding me, don't you?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
11-04-2011, 09:26 AM
The MVAM doesn't have cloak which is what makes the BoP attack so powerful. That being the speed and the surprise.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
11-04-2011, 09:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelus
The MVAM doesn't have cloak which is what makes the BoP attack so powerful. That being the speed and the surprise.
This thread here says that shockwave + BoP is an I-Win button.

Quote:
I've repeatedly used the alpha strike/photonic shockwave tactic with my BoP and seen how effective it is. It's an I-Win if you use it right
This thread says that the BoP is too weak against fed ships

Quote:
The BoP seems very weak when matched against any Fed ship with .8 shield power setting, less consoles, less BO's, etc. You have combat cloak but it doesn't offset the disparities in the BoP vs it's Fed counterparts. Cloaking isn't very useful since once you decloak it takes time for your shields to power up to full strength.

More teeth for the BoP - Give the BoP an extra fwd mounted weapon slot to mount either a light canon, turret, or single beam weapon.


Those are my suggestions and I hope they are good ones. I could be wrong about the handicap in KDF ships but after numerous PvP matches & PvE missions on both sides it appears the Star Fleet side has the advantage in ship combat.
heavens to betsy, who am I to believe?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
11-04-2011, 09:58 AM
PoBs are excellent for hit and run. Best in the game for it. Alpha strike and get out.

If you're not playing it that way you're going to be disappointed, because if you are fighting a good Fed team your BoP will always be focus fire targetted immediately after you decloak. So if you stick around you're dead.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
11-04-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelus
PoBs are excellent for hit and run. Best in the game for it. Alpha strike and get out.

If you're not playing it that way you're going to be disappointed, because if you are fighting a good Fed team your BoP will always be focus fire targetted immediately after you decloak. So if you stick around you're dead.
You need to expand your views on BoPs. Best harassers in game, bar none.

It really comes down to pilot ability / bo loadout / communication when facing off against another team.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
11-04-2011, 10:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H.Ramone
i thought they implemented vivox. although i've never tested it ..

well, even if only one team member is quick enough to throw a tac team the alpha is doomed ....
What the hell is vivox? :p
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
11-04-2011, 11:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelus
PoBs are excellent for hit and run. Best in the game for it. Alpha strike and get out.

If you're not playing it that way you're going to be disappointed, because if you are fighting a good Fed team your BoP will always be focus fire targetted immediately after you decloak. So if you stick around you're dead.
Try Auxilliary power to inertial dampners as the bad guy is decloaking, that will resist the shockwave stun. I agree its somewhat sillly, but it is what it is.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
11-04-2011, 11:15 AM
PSW has already been nerfed enough. The only time I have a rough time with it is when multiple Klinks are working together better (a well timed SNB is nasty) than the PuGs I'm usually flying around with. I LOL @ your iWin button. Situational awareness is key.

Lolly @ a BoP slotting PSW3 while I'm at it. Someone is, as Jorf might say, doing it wrong.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
11-04-2011, 11:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelus
I agree that teamwork should be rewarded however in this case teamwork is part of the issue. This is because of the speed of the attack.

Example: You have 2 BoPs decloak and focus fire. One of them uses photonic shockwave immediately after decloaking. Unless you screw it up you're guaranteed a kill almost every time because the victim is dead before they or their teammates can respond. If for whatever reason the target has already recently used their science team ability its even easier.

This kind of attack is particularly easy to pull off in take and hold missions where players slow their ships to capture points.

If players are in vent together they may be quick enough to help their targetted friend...maybe. However this game should not be balanced for Vent or Teamspeak players because Cyptyic doesn't offer a similiar voice communication feature ingame.

Also I think another important point was mentioned...that this ability was useful for scoring kills against premades. This very honest statement highlights exactly the problem. The combination of photonic shockwave and alpha strike isn't functioning to strengthen teamwork, but to circumvent teamwork.

As we can see with premades teamwork is obviously rewarded. Changing photonic shockwave would only strengthen the reward of teamwork not diminish it.
I disagree. Any change is not needed because what you described is just teamwork and pre-planing coupled with experience.
Many KDF pvpers can pug and have the same level of co-ordination without teamspeak, vivox or ventrillo.
Many feds pvpers can pug and have the same level of co-ordination without teamspeak, vivox or ventrillo.

I surmize that you may wish to play more before making these judgement calls.
For instance; PSW and Alpha striking are not destroying teamwork but actually require it to function properly.

Commander: HE1 TSS2 TSS3 PSW3
Ltc: TT1 CRF1 BO3
Lt: EPTS1 EPTS2
Lt: TB1, PO1

a simple build that many will find fault with but when it comes in first decloaks, pops BO3 to drop a shield, tractors target and softens the target with tactical buffed DHC fire leaving the target prime for being destroyed by a wingman, that is teamwork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelus
I've repeatedly used the alpha strike/photonic shockwave tactic with my BoP and seen how effective it is. It's an I-Win if you use it right especially in coordination with another player. .
Experience and teamwork are King in PvP.
When it fails though the crap flies fast into the fan, and thats where you can really tell the good from the bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gx4th View Post
Who runs shock 3? For the damage? As opposed to running CRF3???
I do.
Then again most of my BoP are designed to a purpose. Damage, Crippler, etc.
One that uses PSW3 is designed to be a "door-Opener" or crippler, weakening the target for easy clean-up by the rest of the team and as a mild healer.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:25 AM.