Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - Bug Reports
Login

Lt. Commander
When updating Tribble to the present build (available on 04/11/2011, from Version ST.16.20111023a.7) my operating system (Windows 7) gets a bluescreen crash. This occurs in the STO launcher (CL_2011_09_27_13_08) after selecting Tribble and clicking the patch button - the crash occurs during the patching process.

This crash prevents me from fully updating the game, thus denying me access to the Launch button to access gameplay on the Tribble server.

By contrast, I have had no problem updating Holodeck and Redshirt and both adequately launch.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-04-2011, 08:28 AM
Well, this in interesting (not really).

I checked this morning the launcher and patched Tribble again in the hopes of gathering more information. It actually downloaded everything without crashing. Surprised, I went and clicked 'Launch', only to have the game crash on startup.

One Cryptic Crash Report later, I reopen the launcher... only to see it stall after I log in. I see the note 'Patching' on the lower left corner, clicking Cancel has no effect, and it's the same for all three servers (Holodeck, Tribble and Redshirt). There was no prompt to verify the files after login either (there usually is after a crash).

Effectively, it has become impossible for me to play Star Trek Online in any way. I will need assistance for this.
Lt. Commander
# 3 You could try this...
11-04-2011, 08:49 AM
I'm no expert on this sort of thing, but if it were me, this is what I would do:

My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced system settings -> 'Advanced' tab -> "Startup and Recovery"

There, you want to uncheck the box that reads "automatically restart".

Now, when your computer bluescreens next time, write down whatever device or code or both that the screen shows you, and google it

I think there is a good chance that from there, you'll be headed in the right direction.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Well, it's no longer an issue of crashing now anyways. I'm just unable to start the game.

A ticket, #1221513, has been entered to that effect.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-04-2011, 10:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoberraz View Post
Well, it's no longer an issue of crashing now anyways. I'm just unable to start the game.

A ticket, #1221513, has been entered to that effect.
Thanks for the ticket Zob, can you get us a DX Diag as well please? You should be either to a) attch it to the thread, or B) Copy/Paste the information as a reply to this post.

I'll make sure our people start to look into it.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-04-2011, 10:51 AM
A couple of other different questions:

1) What was the Cryptic Crash Report #? Did you write it down?

2) It's been suggested that you run a RAM check program really quick, just to start down the trouble shooting process on your end as well.

Thanks,

Stormshade
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-04-2011, 11:29 AM
DxDiag: I've no way of attaching it to the already submitted report or this forum thread. Out of concerns for privacy, I'd rather not post it on a public forum. If it's needed, can I send it as a Private Message?

1. At the time, I did not think the crash would cripple my ability to play the game... so, I did not have that much foresight, no.
2. More below.

The idea of the RAM check program made me realize something. Since yesterday's patch difficulties and this morning, I had closed my computer in the evening and restarted it in the morning. That might've affected the PC's memory in some way.

So, following that hunch, I closed my computer, restarted it, and tried the launcher again. I found myself able to launch the Holodeck gameclient and got to the character select screen.

Then, I exited and opened my launcher again, clicking 'Force Verify' in the options before logging in and clicking over Tribble. The verification process began and eventually was complete. Clicking Engage to start the Tribble gameclient however resulted in the same crash upon gameclient start as before. I also got this message:

Quote:
Fatal Error: Unknown error decompressing data. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.:

Technical Details: Unknown error decompressing data. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.: Bin/Clientmessagesenglish.Bin:
...and an OK button, which I clicked.

Then egads! The CrypticError:Oops window. I went and wrote:
"Clicked the Engage button in the Launcher with the Tribble server selected after making a forced verification check and coming clean.

The gameclient crashed immediately."

Error Ticket ID was being requested, but hadn't shown up. So, I just went and clicked 'Submit'. Then I was left with my other window called "CrypticError PID:4612 ETID:0" that wasn't showing much progress aside from:
Quote:
Initializing...
Attaching to crashed process...
Harvesting data from crashed process...
Mode: Customer
Gathering Data Validation Info...
And that's it. Hasn't budged since I started writing this post. I'd pay attention to the crash number... except I don't see any so far.

...and clicking to open the launcher shows me the very same problem as I had before making my shutting down/restart: after login, it says patching on all 3 servers, without showing any progress or signs of responding (I can't cancel the patching progress, for example). And again, no verification process was initiative when I logged in either.

edit: ...and I could submit this post, so, the crashdump thingie and the Crash ID request process probably weren't stalled due to a bad net connection on my part.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-04-2011, 12:49 PM
If it were me, I would run a utility like DFT to verify that the hard disk is good. Sometimes you get I/O errors when your hard drive is failing or has unmarked bad sectors.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-04-2011, 03:16 PM
My hard disk does not appear to suffer any problem. Not to mention that it's only a few months old.

I attempted to get the new Tribble patch hoping it might alleviate my problems, but it was just the contrary. The new Tribble patch also cause a bluescreen crash during patching (I had forgotten to toggle off the automatic restart so I could not take notes). When I tried again to reproduce the bluescreen crash, the patching process actually completed and I could launch the game. When I tried, the gameclient again crashed on startup.

...and the CrypticError crashdump application again failed to function adequately. And reopening the launcher after that shows the same lack of responsiveness that I've described before with no ability to attempt launching any of the three gameclients (Holodeck, Tribble, Redshirt) until the computer is rebooted.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-04-2011, 04:13 PM
The CS representative I communicated to apparently cannot do anything more considering it was verified that I have ways to make the game function on the Holodeck live server.

Patcher problems, file verification and crashdump applications failing to function adequately strike me as fairly major. Is it possible to escalate this to people that can deal with Tribble problems? Or is there some bit of code that can be entered to perform more advanced checks with the STO Launcher?