Lt. Commander
I have been hinting in a number of my posts as to what the future could hold for everyone in this game if it goes full swing Perfect World Model but I have not laid it fully out. I played Perfect World International for quite a while and learned first hand exactly what their model is and what it entails. I have been seeing some of that model leaking into STO's test server practically unchanged. So here is a preview of the worst case, but not completely unlikely, scenario of what could be to come:

The skill revamp will simplify things but will nerf your overall power. This will not effect PvP that heavily because everyone will be nerfed equally there. It WILL effect PvE heavily however and the disparity between Players and NPC's will grow. The NPC's will be made stronger while the players are made less effective. Why? Because in order to be as powerful as you were BEFORE the change you will need to buy C-Store Items. These can be new ships with new consoles, healing devices, stat boosters, and things to reduce the sting of defeat.

It seems likely that they would make the best drops only obtainable under Elite Difficulty and that eventually the only real way to fix your ailments when you die will be through Dilithium or the C-Store.

You will be able to Level Up at a reasonable pace but you will not be able to outfit yourself with proper ships or gear without buying Dilithium from other players with C-Store Points.

All items/Services that can be unlocked for Individual Characters only will be. You will see a lot more items that can be gotten via a random fashion. Basically any way they can package items such that you spend a relatively small amount of RL money to buy a CHANCE to get the item you want from the package.

Future sales of cosmetic items will be sold piece by piece if possible. You do not get a full uniform but instead you can buy the boots, the belt, the pants, the shirt, etc all individually.

Many items you purchase from the C-Store may well become trade-able to other players in-game. (That can be a good thing... Leave it up to you to decide.)

There will likely be introduced some form of elusive end game item or items that are truly Godly but are unobtainable. These will be there to make you strive to get them even though for a single person to do so could take the likes of 40 years. (... I am not joking... They had that in PWI... We did the math. )

Travel will be made as slow as possible and likely a bit more dangerous with C-Store remedies for both problems.

Crafting will be eliminated altogether, made useless (that is as it is now), or made to produce "Random" results which may on some rare occasion be useful but usually be useless.

Customer Service will be strictly reserved for billing issues.

Bug fixes will come even more slowly and from time to time they will be allowed to stay with the excuse that either they cannot be fixed or that they are working as intended.

Pay to Win in PvP will be standard and there will be a lot more PvP influence as well as open PvP but it will NOT be balanced or made better in any way.

If Star Bases do come out they will be able to be Captured by other Fleets and all your effort put into them taken out from under your nose.

Prices in the C-Store will universally rise but there will be sales where they are brought back down to near or exactly the same price they are today.

I could go on further but I think the general idea is fully stated. Now all of this is the worst case scenario and none of it has been promised or said to happen by any of the Devs. If we are lucky we could see this stuff never happen to STO but considering who is in charge and who owns the above Model it seems unlikely.

With that, I just say watch what is going on with Tribble and when they finally unveil the final product check to see how much of the above got filtered in. At least you cannot say no one told you what to expect now
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-01-2011, 08:53 AM
I couldn't agree with you more. I've haven't played any of the PWE games well because I've heard that most of them are crap. I Hope that someone in the main office realize that the same model that works in one part of the world wont work everywhere.

I enjoy Star Trek its sad to see where its going.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
I have been hinting in a number of my posts as to what the future could hold for everyone in this game if it goes full swing Perfect World Model but I have not laid it fully out. I played Perfect World International for quite a while and learned first hand exactly what their model is and what it entails. I have been seeing some of that model leaking into STO's test server practically unchanged. So here is a preview of the worst case, but not completely unlikely, scenario of what could be to come:

The skill revamp will simplify things but will nerf your overall power. This will not effect PvP that heavily because everyone will be nerfed equally there. It WILL effect PvE heavily however and the disparity between Players and NPC's will grow. The NPC's will be made stronger while the players are made less effective. Why? Because in order to be as powerful as you were BEFORE the change you will need to buy C-Store Items. These can be new ships with new consoles, healing devices, stat boosters, and things to reduce the sting of defeat.

It seems likely that they would make the best drops only obtainable under Elite Difficulty and that eventually the only real way to fix your ailments when you die will be through Dilithium or the C-Store.

You will be able to Level Up at a reasonable pace but you will not be able to outfit yourself with proper ships or gear without buying Dilithium from other players with C-Store Points.

All items/Services that can be unlocked for Individual Characters only will be. You will see a lot more items that can be gotten via a random fashion. Basically any way they can package items such that you spend a relatively small amount of RL money to buy a CHANCE to get the item you want from the package.

Future sales of cosmetic items will be sold piece by piece if possible. You do not get a full uniform but instead you can buy the boots, the belt, the pants, the shirt, etc all individually.

Many items you purchase from the C-Store may well become trade-able to other players in-game. (That can be a good thing... Leave it up to you to decide.)

There will likely be introduced some form of elusive end game item or items that are truly Godly but are unobtainable. These will be there to make you strive to get them even though for a single person to do so could take the likes of 40 years. (... I am not joking... They had that in PWI... We did the math. )

Travel will be made as slow as possible and likely a bit more dangerous with C-Store remedies for both problems.

Crafting will be eliminated altogether, made useless (that is as it is now), or made to produce "Random" results which may on some rare occasion be useful but usually be useless.

Customer Service will be strictly reserved for billing issues.

Bug fixes will come even more slowly and from time to time they will be allowed to stay with the excuse that either they cannot be fixed or that they are working as intended.

Pay to Win in PvP will be standard and there will be a lot more PvP influence as well as open PvP but it will NOT be balanced or made better in any way.

If Star Bases do come out they will be able to be Captured by other Fleets and all your effort put into them taken out from under your nose.

Prices in the C-Store will universally rise but there will be sales where they are brought back down to near or exactly the same price they are today.

I could go on further but I think the general idea is fully stated. Now all of this is the worst case scenario and none of it has been promised or said to happen by any of the Devs. If we are lucky we could see this stuff never happen to STO but considering who is in charge and who owns the above Model it seems unlikely.

With that, I just say watch what is going on with Tribble and when they finally unveil the final product check to see how much of the above got filtered in. At least you cannot say no one told you what to expect now
Interesting post. I think i'll be going silver when f2p hits.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-01-2011, 09:56 AM
I hate to say it but this is most likely what is going to happen. I hope CBS is watching all of this.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-01-2011, 10:30 AM
Its like watching a dystopia unfold before my very eyes.

I'm willing to bet that when F2P hits the forums are gonna get clamped down on with an iron fist.
How can they tolerate us revealing their grindthink for all to see when it will drive away potential silvers?
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ally_of_the_Force View Post
I hate to say it but this is most likely what is going to happen. I hope CBS is watching all of this.
That's part of the gamble, in my book.

LA did watch SOE's NGE and went directly to Bioware 1 month later (after the NGE) to start talks for SW:TOR. CBS is already licencing other ST games now and not putting their eggs all in 1 basket so I see no real reason they would even hesitate if they believe ST:O will not be as profitable and/or is not doing the IP credit as they're being told it will be.

As with LA, I doubt CBS will have any qualms about taking down the entire game when they believe it is time, also.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-01-2011, 11:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
That's part of the gamble, in my book.

LA did watch SOE's NGE and went directly to Bioware 1 month later (after the NGE) to start talks for SW:TOR. CBS is already licencing other ST games now and not putting their eggs all in 1 basket so I see no real reason they would even hesitate if they believe ST:O will not be as profitable and/or is not doing the IP credit as they're being told it will be.

As with LA, I doubt CBS will have any qualms about taking down the entire game when they believe it is time, also.
But is SWG going down because LA pulled the license? The only news I've heard of that is that Sony is saying that it's time and they're ready to stop supporting what they consider a dead game.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-01-2011, 01:25 PM
swg is being closed as it barely breaks even and they want the people who are left to migrate to swtor
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-01-2011, 01:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by V-Mink
But is SWG going down because LA pulled the license? The only news I've heard of that is that Sony is saying that it's time and they're ready to stop supporting what they consider a dead game.
No, in fact it really is not LA that is putting the closure out on SWG. LA hoped that SWG and TOR could live together and make them the licence fees from both. And why wouldn't they? 2 fee collections are better than one.

LA, however, did see very bad mistakes in development from SOE and decided to not have all the eggs in the same basket by heading to Bioware 1 month after the original NGE. They, in a sence, hedged their bet which seems now like they made the right decision as the poster above makes reference to.

SWG, via SOE, made enough really bad decisions (3 really major ones with CU, NGE, C6CD), on their existing playerbase, that they pretty much had none left to speak of in the aftermath. This ended up as not enough income made to pay the fees that came with the IP. It was basicly the only decision left open to SOE.

CBS, could do the same here. Not saying that they will pull the licence from Cryptic, per se (as long as the IP fees are being paid), but hedge their bet also with more Star Trek direct competion for STO. I would imagine that CBS has a producer in charge of their IP, just like LA did, who is watching, very closly.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-01-2011, 02:08 PM
I can confirm some of your "Worst Case Scenario".

I played Forsaken World for some Time.
Or as I would like to call it: Grind World.
Forsaken World was PW first MMO that was design t not only for Asia. Perfect World International is just a Port of the original and I my Eyes a fail.
You an level up but it is so close to impossible to gear up without heavy grinding. and not gear out it is harder and harder to level up.
P2W is not a big Deal in Forsaken World Most Store items dont work in PvP and 95% of the Store is Cosmetic and Fluff
In the Years as a PW Customer I have learned they are very cleaver.
Clever enough to not install Paywalls but temptations to go to the store.
Example:
There is this Ultra Cool Beast everyone wants to have (Hoarse of Flames) It gives you a incredible travel speed (like stacking several Borg engines), looks absolutely epic, defense x2 (exept PvP) and several other nice perks I dont have out of the Top of my Head.
You can go to the Store and Spent 24,50 (34,74 $) to get it (Account Unlock) or you play to Level 70 and get it for free (Character Unlock).

This sounds a bit like a VA Ship Token and some of Cryptic Philosophy leaking to them as well.

From my perspective there still is a lot of noise about nothing, and Humans driven by Fear are sometimes not rational