Lt. Commander
# 1 Warp Core Skills - The Numbers
11-05-2011, 02:01 PM
I've just run through and tested WCE with 4 different combinations of Efficient BOs and Efficient Captain.

As I have no idea how to do a table here, or if it's even possible, I've colorcoded the results. Numbers before the slash are bonuses at 50 power, after at 25 power.

White: No bonuses
Green: Efficient BO
Blue: Efficient Captain
Purple: Efficient BO & Captain

Rank 0: +0/+0 +0/+1 +1/+2 +1/+3

Rank 1: +1/+2 +1/+3 +2/+5 +3/+6

Rank 2: +2/+4 +2/+5 +3/+6 +3/+7

Rank 3: +2/+5 +3/+6 +3/+7 +3/+7

Rank 4: +3/+6 +3/+7 +4/+8 +4/+8

Rank 5: +3/+6 +3/+7 +4/+9 +4/+9

Rank 6: +3/+7 +4/+8 +4/+9 +5/+10

Rank 7: +3/+7 +4/+8 +5+/10 +5/+10

Rank 8: +4/+8 +4/+8 +5/+10 +5/+11

Rank 9: +4/+8 +4/+9 +5/+10 +5/+11

I've also run through Warp Core Potential, but I don't have a toon with Warp Therorist to get all the numbers. What I have, going ranks 0-9 is:

No WT: +0/+2/+2/+3/+3/+4/+4/+5/+5/+5
With WT+2/+3/+4/+5/????
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-05-2011, 02:27 PM
this is exactly the kind of nonsense they need to get rid of. when you invest in a skill you should know with out any doubt what that investment gets you. should be as simple as rank 1 is oing to give you X, rank 2 Y etc etc. meaning it simply gives you a concrete bonus, not some number that is then compared to other numbers and calculated so you end up getting retarded returns that you have to go to some chart to determine if/what level you should spec a skill too.

thanx for, yet again, someone running the numbers......but it shouldn't be somethinng players have to do.

I love how with the exception of the first 2 ranks you always pay skill points twice before you actually get any tangible benefit......every rank should give an actual bonus, not part of one that will later pay if you put another rank into it.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-05-2011, 03:14 PM
What's nonsensical about it? The skill description is pretty clear that it gives bonus power to levels that are low, with no bonus at 75. So max it and you get +4 to power levels that are set at 50, and +8 that are set at 25. Thanks to the OP, it looks like the bonus is consistent no matter your other skills.

So...

If you're running 100/50/25/25, max it to get 100/54/33/33... if those extra powerlevels are worth your skillpoints, get the skill... if not... get another skill.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-05-2011, 08:17 PM
what i'm calling rediculous is that if you rank up from rank past rank 3 you have to rank up twice before you see any improvement again. Thats just retarded. I don't like systems where you get fractional benefits that you don't see an improvement until you commit yet more to. In this example of skills it is LITERALLY pointless to go from rank 8 to rank 9 because there is ZERO benefit so why is it even an option? Havn't seen the break down for the performance skills but as i recall they followed a similarly retarded pattern which also resulted in ZERO difference from rank 8 to rank 9.

also the fact that most skills say at a given rank you get +xx where the number is completly meaningless as its plugged into a formula somewhere so yet again you don't actually know WHAT benefit you see from ranking up a skill. you know it will improve x/y ability but no clue how how much your buffing it unless you find someone who has gone to the trouble to calculate everything out. The game needs transparency which it certainly does not have at this point. Heck they can't even change the skill tooltips to completely list what all skills are buffed by a certain skill.

it will list some and then as if the system can't list any more it'll have the last entry of .......
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-06-2011, 06:06 AM
Not getting full points per point makes sense, getting a full 9 for Warp Core Potential for example would make it 4 times as powerful as the higher teir individual power boosting skills.

I'm guessing that it's fractional and that the fractions from each skill will add together to give whole power points. That'll need a lot more respecs to test though.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-06-2011, 08:05 AM
Even so it's stupid that ranks 8 and 9 offer no benefit at all. Not even a measly extra power point at rank 9. What's the point other than being a skill point waste?

Thanks for running the math.

I also wish the Skill descriptions were way more transparent. Now is the perfect opportunity to change this and I hope Cryptic doesn't drop the ball. Looks like they will, though.

Oh well, if it isn't changed at least that's extra skill points we can spend elsewhere.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillingMeSoftly
Even so it's stupid that ranks 8 and 9 offer no benefit at all. Not even a measly extra power point at rank 9. What's the point other than being a skill point waste?

Thanks for running the math.

I also wish the Skill descriptions were way more transparent. Now is the perfect opportunity to change this and I hope Cryptic doesn't drop the ball. Looks like they will, though.

Oh well, if it isn't changed at least that's extra skill points we can spend elsewhere.
I suspect the rounding of the game system is at fault. Maybe you'd see a difference if you had one of those +3.5 energy consoles on top of it (as the +0.5 plus the fraction of efficiency might lead to something being rounded up instead of down.)
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-06-2011, 09:03 AM
so either you get an extra point at rank 8 or 9 but only IF you use one of the hella nerfed power consoles.....yeah that really resolves the feeling of getting next to nothing for the skill point investment. And the very opaque skill system.