Lt. Commander
# 11
11-04-2011, 04:16 PM
Agreed to the above posters, i actually lost a lot of DPS to this system, also shield heal and so on.

Plus, the core point was also not met this time: Ground and space skills need a separate skill pool, otherwise you have yet again two options:

- Suck in space
- Suck on ground

What I would like to see:

-Separated skill points for Space and ground, gained separately but without SP loss (Meaning 72K space X ground)
- More ground skills to make sense

- XP costs back to normal

- Damage gained from skill back to normal (Weapons having once dealt 5k deal 4800 now)

- Stop forcing us to spend X skill points in total to unlock the next tier and make it more progressive.
Make it more like: x points in skill X unlock the next skill of this row an make the character level play a greater role in return
e.g.:
X points shield emitters ---> Starship shield systems--->Starship Power Insulators--> Inertial dampener-->Starship counter measures

Just as an example. It is imho better than spending X skill points in total to gain the next skill tier.

Another option would be separating skill points from XP and giving us 1 SP per level;
therefore a total of 51 Skill points to allocate with some skills having more than one rank and others less (To a max of 5 ranks per skill)

I actually had a pretty good space/ground balance before the revamp:

Now:
- Space looks meh
- Ground horrible

This is probably due to the fact that a Holodeck can have 4 full fledged t5 skills while a tribble char can't.( I think the max is exactly 3 fully fledged skills now

Also why is there a skill to increase cloaking efficiency when it also increases by allocating points to AUX?
Plus on the Gal X you have about 5030 Stealth without the cloaking skill and just 5080 with it...(tested on two tacs having the Gal X)
I would say 'considerably buff it', but the last this game needs is a super cloaked Bird of Prey-R.

My suggestion is to remove, replace or integrate it into another skill.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-04-2011, 04:20 PM
I used to be very skilled in ground, and decent in space. I'm not crap in space, and crap in ground...
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-04-2011, 04:22 PM
I have to agree with everyone else that said this new skill tree system is bad for the player. The only way I see it remotely working is to lower the skill point costs to their original levels.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-04-2011, 04:24 PM
I don't have enough experience with the old tree to say "the new one sucks" but a couple of things do leap out.

Sci stuff (my holodeck toon is a sci cap) seems to be heavily weighted towards the more expensive end of things, with 3 at T5. To make things worse, the resistances to those sci powers are T4.

Having (as an example) Hazard Emitters boosted by an engineering skill seems, well, wrong.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-04-2011, 04:28 PM
As I wrote in another thread:
I'm decidedly meh on the changes:

You need to spell out exactly what skills are affected for each box I can put skills in- it is still is as clear as mud in most cases.

My character/ship is significantly less able than before- even after jettisoning almost ALL ground skills my toon had, I still can't build a space spec that is even close to what I had before. Maybe you are looking to crank down the power of builds, but I think the 50% increase in skill costs is too much.
I went from an effective space build/fair ground build to a less effective space build/mediocre (if that) ground build.

This has got to change...
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-04-2011, 04:32 PM
Im not excited about it either. Hopefully, they will split the ground and space skills. I think that will improve the situation.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
I am not liking it either. Its needs to be at 100 intervals across the board. Not this whole 150 crap.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-04-2011, 04:45 PM
What i don't like is that every power is supposed to be influenced by only 1 skill but Gravity Well uses both Graviton Generators AND Particle Generators
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-04-2011, 04:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony-Jade View Post
I'm finding the whole new system horrible.

No matter what I seem to do with my points, I keep being left with 100. I'm sat here almost banging my head against the desk trying to figure out where I can tweak my build to get the points spent but no matter what I do, I'm still faced with points left over.
They ninja upped the skill cap 50 points and some people are using the lack of patch notes about it to lord over other people for being stupid and not knowing about the non-announced update.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-04-2011, 04:46 PM
I Strongly Dislike the new skill system, I was completely happy with the old one.... unnecessary nerf and a waste of tech resources.

STO is getting dumber.