Lt. Commander
# 21
11-04-2011, 03:49 PM
Other than the fact that if one does design for all abilites then over-specializing in a particular performance role means you are highly vulnerable to those abilites, I have little issue at first glance.
Will test more.
It does seem to reinforce the Healer, Controller and Blaster archetypes and has the classic weakness of them if one specs to fill one of those roles. Generalization may be the name of the game under F2P.

Tier 1

SS Weapons training: 9
SS Batteries: 9
SS Hull Repair: 9
SS Flow Capacitor: 9
SS Shield Emitters: 9
Assualt Training: 0
Close Combat training: 0
Away Team Leader: Engineer: 0
Away team Leader: Science: 0
Away team Leader: Tactical: 2

Tier 2

SS Energy Weapons: 9
SS Projectile Weapons: 9
Structual Integrity: 9
SS Subsystem Repair: 0
SS Warp Core efficiency: 5
SS Power Insulator: 0
SS Shield systems: 9
Security: 0
Soldier: 0
Special Forces: 0

Tier 3

SS Maneuavers: 9
SS Target systems: 9
SS Electro-Plasma systems: 5
SS Impulse Thrusters: 9
SS Warp Core Potential: 9
SS Graviton Generators: 0
SS Particle Generators: 0
FireArms: 0
Grenades: 0
Martial Arts: 0

Tier 4

SS Attack Patterns: 9
SS Stealth: 0
SS Engine Performance: 0
SS Hull Plating: 9
SS Shield Performance: 9
SS Intertial Dampeners: 5
SS Sensors: 5
Stealth: 0
Tactics: 0
Threat Control: 0

Tier 5

SS Energy Weapon Specialization: 4
SS Projectile Weapon Specialization: 5
SS Armor Reinforcments: 4
SS Auxullary Performance: 0
SS Weapons Performance: 4
SS Counter Measure Systems: 0
SS Subspace Decompiler: 0
Advanced Warfare: 0
Close combat Protection: 0
Squad Command: 0

Possibly a carreer bonus of extra SP in our own carreer choice is needed?
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-04-2011, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
I just HATE the new system, it's even more confusing than it was before.

And I really HATE all the important survival skills are at Tier 5, thus making it harder for Cruisers to survive.
  • Right now my Vor'cha Refit turns worse than a Galaxy, and the weapon systems are just junk.
  • My Healing Potential has dropped 20% at the same time.
  • Fully skilled into Tactical, my Beams are now 100 points less and my cannons 300 points less powerful.

I am giving the V2 of the Skill System a massive thumbs down! To be honest, I'm so angry, I'm just not going to test anymore until the skill system is re-revamped.
Well turned out exactly as i feared... they cut away a big protion of potential damage/healing/effects while makeing even less skill useable...
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-04-2011, 03:52 PM
Total crap. NO... this will not do. I will not do anything in Tribble aside from DOFF testing as I'll be blown to bits.
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-04-2011, 03:58 PM
To me, it seems like this new skill system is attempting to import that stupid Trinity into STO... and I HATE it.

The flexibility is something I loved about STO. Now you pretty much have to pick a role and devote yourself to it, or pretty much be sucky to mediocre at multiple things.

I'm not a fan of this new system. The old skill system wasn't even that confusing, in my opinion.

Bring it back.
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-04-2011, 04:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanJabroni View Post
To me, it seems like this new skill system is attempting to import that stupid Trinity into STO... and I HATE it.

The flexibility is something I loved about STO. Now you pretty much have to pick a role and devote yourself to it, or pretty much be sucky to mediocre at multiple things.

I'm not a fan of this new system. The old skill system wasn't even that confusing, in my opinion.

Bring it back.
^THIS^

Now I dont have to post anymore, thanks!

Well... the new system really kills the ability to hybrid, I am a tac/eng mix and do pretty well, but under the new system I either work one class or die horribly.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-04-2011, 04:13 PM
I don't understand how people are dying or are 50% less effective...I did the Klingon defend the fuel depot mission before the patch and after the patch and reskill and was much more effective after the patch.
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-04-2011, 04:18 PM
Quote:
This is something that I can agree on. The system does appear to be going back to Tank/Blaster /Controller.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
I don't understand how people are dying or are 50% less effective...I did the Klingon defend the fuel depot mission before the patch and after the patch and reskill and was much more effective after the patch.
I could not say.
I found it extremely easy as a Tac to run around in Ker'rat and remain unscathed until I was TB'ed (which I put no points in to defending against)
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-04-2011, 04:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
Depends on your build Startruck. The fundamental flaw of the old skill system was it rewarded certain builds over others, because of highly inflated skill point costs.

The new skill system has the exact same fundamental flaw. It rewards certain builds over others. If I build my science skills around tier 2 or tier 3, I can now build more for dps and hulls and resistance.

DPS comes quickly in the system, tier 2 and healing in tier 3, so then you can spec for survivability. Any other kind of utility and it becomes less worth the exp spent.
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-04-2011, 04:37 PM
Quote:

Bring it back.
Agreed 100%..... the whole skill system is ..to borrow a term from my favorite band "stupified" now.

I cant spec up to get the same power levels on my ship, I have lost skills that I was previously able to train.... I can only hope this is some of the balancing issues refered to in the dev blog.

I miss the variety of skills you can train in. On holodeck I have several toons, each one specializing in space or ground, and 2 that are balanced. I feel like I really wont have this option anymore.
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-04-2011, 05:33 PM
I pay 50% more to be 75% less effective nice conversion, oh and you will feel it!! Unless that is all my nerfed consoles.

Unless they are adding in more points for the ground tree or points that can only be spent on one tree or the other (perish the thought space and ground XP) this does not fix the issue of everyone speccing into space and not ground.

I think it is time to give this a name we can all refer it to as this whole trainwreck of a beta plods along.

My suggestion is we start calling everything pre the F2P release, pre-D (pre dilithium). This will give us and the gaming community a nice point of reference to the other sci-fi mishap some years ago.

We can all say things like this on the intwerwebs:

"Pre-D I could specilize more and be more effective in space combat than you are now..."

"Pre-D was a fun time, we could play the game we wanted to play it...."

"Pre-D just needed more systems and content...."

The funny thing, well sad thing is - Gozer just spent months revamping the STFs to a point where he and the players like them. Now a global nerf on players and consoles tosses all that dev time out the window. Wait until he gets back from vacation.

Yeah this is going to have to be adjusted so as to not continue to waste resources.