Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 1 Here's how you do it right
11-04-2011, 04:01 PM
Here is how the skill tree revamp could have been:
http://denkbassin.de/extern/sto/Skills1.png
Remove most ship skill boxes, unify them to generic T2/T3/T4/T5 ship skills with the same (100%/50%/50%/100%) rules that apply currently.
Problem of not being able to fly multiple ships: solved

Remove most energy weapon skill boxes, unify them to regular (phaser+disruptor) and advanced (all others) energy weapons at T3/T4. Do the same with torpedoes, there regular = photon, quantum and advanced = the rest.
Problem of skillpoint penalties for exotic weapons is significantly reduced while maintaining a bias towards the "canon" weapons to emphasize that these weapons are the regular load-out of most Fed/KDF ships.

Incrase the skill point cap by an amount X and force players to spend at least X points in ground skills.
Problem of ground/space only builds: solved, without making current specialised builds impossible.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
11-04-2011, 04:05 PM
I'm sorry. I disagree. The new system is much more simple, much easier to understand, and frankly, your idea is basically the same as the currently confusing and flawed setup we have had for 2 years.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
11-04-2011, 04:21 PM
except the new system is flawed, unfinished, and overall nerfs players by not allowing them to spec as effectively as they could.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
11-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase Quinnell
I'm sorry. I disagree. The new system is much more simple, much easier to understand, and frankly, your idea is basically the same as the currently confusing and flawed setup we have had for 2 years.
How is the newer system less confusing and flawed? What skill effects engineering team? I know which one effects sensor scan?

Why should I take scrambled sensors vs grav well? Why should I bother will photonic anything vs tractor beams?

Explain to me why I'm being forced to take say ship batteries, even if I've never used batteries before just so I can take a skill that effects energy weapons?

The flaws are still there, and they're just as blatant, its just that now you have overall less skill points to spend on a still flawed system.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
11-04-2011, 04:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom
Here is how the skill tree revamp could have been:
http://denkbassin.de/extern/sto/Skills1.png
Remove most ship skill boxes, unify them to generic T2/T3/T4/T5 ship skills with the same (100%/50%/50%/100%) rules that apply currently.
Problem of not being able to fly multiple ships: solved

Remove most energy weapon skill boxes, unify them to regular (phaser+disruptor) and advanced (all others) energy weapons at T3/T4. Do the same with torpedoes, there regular = photon, quantum and advanced = the rest.
Problem of skillpoint penalties for exotic weapons is significantly reduced while maintaining a bias towards the "canon" weapons to emphasize that these weapons are the regular load-out of most Fed/KDF ships.

Incrase the skill point cap by an amount X and force players to spend at least X points in ground skills.
Problem of ground/space only builds: solved, without making current specialised builds impossible.
Its prtey close to what it SHOULD have been.
To accieve what they wantet to achieve with the new skill tree basic + adv should have been removed and Cannon/beam + Torpedo/mines unified each.
then that would be EXACTLY what they WANTET (or statet they wantet) with the new tree AND would be fun.

Also everybody who just specced space could have kept their build (the one they worked hard on to get you know...), everybody who speced both would have a buff... nobody would have a reason to complain... cats and dogs living together... sunshine... guess you get the point
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
11-04-2011, 04:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastor_Forthright View Post
except the new system is flawed, unfinished, and overall nerfs players by not allowing them to spec as effectively as they could.
Amen to that!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
11-04-2011, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuffs View Post
How is the newer system less confusing and flawed? What skill effects engineering team? I know which one effects sensor scan?

Why should I take scrambled sensors vs grav well? Why should I bother will photonic anything vs tractor beams?

Explain to me why I'm being forced to take say ship batteries, even if I've never used batteries before just so I can take a skill that effects energy weapons?

The flaws are still there, and they're just as blatant, its just that now you have overall less skill points to spend on a still flawed system.
Maybe try it out first, then see for yourself?
The skill descriptions are very easy to read and clear on what they do and what they affect.
You aren't forced to take any skills, tiers are unlocked when you have spent the requisite number of points, just like they are now.
There may be flaws, and it's still in testing, but to say they're just as blatant when you haven't even tried it is unfair to the system, but is typical of the forums these days.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
11-04-2011, 05:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nileight View Post
Maybe try it out first, then see for yourself?
The skill descriptions are very easy to read and clear on what they do and what they affect.
You aren't forced to take any skills, tiers are unlocked when you have spent the requisite number of points, just like they are now.
There may be flaws, and it's still in testing, but to say they're just as blatant when you haven't even tried it is unfair to the system, but is typical of the forums these days.
LOL... seriously? Considering I had the first post on the subject, after I don't know... trying it out... maybe I know a bit more about then you do.

But lets take your points point for point.

Yes you are forced to take skills, if nothing in that tier interests you, but you want skills at a higher level. If you havent' spent enough points in a given tier, even if you don't want any more skills in that tier, you're forced to take skills in order to advance to the next tier. So yes... yes you are forced to take skills you don't want if the skillls you do want are at a higher tier,

So accusing me of not trying it out, is a bit hypocritical, when actually I've been trying it out since they reopened the server.

But then opening your mouth when you don't know what you're talking about is typical of the forums these days.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
11-04-2011, 05:02 PM
This would have been great.

/fail cryptic
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
11-04-2011, 05:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mancom
Here is how the skill tree revamp could have been:
http://denkbassin.de/extern/sto/Skills1.png
Remove most ship skill boxes, unify them to generic T2/T3/T4/T5 ship skills with the same (100%/50%/50%/100%) rules that apply currently.
Problem of not being able to fly multiple ships: solved

Remove most energy weapon skill boxes, unify them to regular (phaser+disruptor) and advanced (all others) energy weapons at T3/T4. Do the same with torpedoes, there regular = photon, quantum and advanced = the rest.
Problem of skillpoint penalties for exotic weapons is significantly reduced while maintaining a bias towards the "canon" weapons to emphasize that these weapons are the regular load-out of most Fed/KDF ships.

Incrase the skill point cap by an amount X and force players to spend at least X points in ground skills.
Problem of ground/space only builds: solved, without making current specialised builds impossible.
i agreee.... its to much of cookie cutting builds... who isnt going to have beam weapons and torpedo weapons?
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:51 AM.