Go Back   Star Trek Online > Test Servers > Tribble - General Discussion and Feedback
Login

Lt. Commander
The Skill cap needs to be raised to be evenly divisible by 150 to remove the Cludge.

The Global Cap should raised by 500 points from 72700 to 73200 to smooth out the points spending headache.

The reasoning for is very simple... Each new tier should be unlocked with an exact number of skillups bought from the previous tier, with no points leftover, currently you are left with uneven amounts of excess points which leads to headaches later in the game.

If i unlock Tier 2, i should only have to put points into tier 2 to obtain the perfect number of points for tier 3, and so on.

the only way i see you can do this is to redo the points distribution//unlock levels and maximum skill points obtainable to "Smooth out the curve"

Skillpoints totals/unlocks should be

Tier 2 at 6750 spent (45 Tier 1 skillups)
Tier 3 at 18750 spent (40 Tier 2 skillups)
Tier 4 at 34950 spent (36 Tier 3 skillups)
Tier 5 at 52950 spent (30 Tier 4 skillups)
Tier 5 to Cap (27 Tier 5 skillups, or 20250 points spent)

This should be very simple to address as adding 500 points to the XP requirement needed to hit max level is a simple change... as is the skill point table change.

Hopefully this is addressed shortly... its very annoying to have to mess about playing skillpoint tetris to try and spend all skill points.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-05-2011, 03:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackadda
Hopefully this is addressed shortly... its very annoying to have to mess about playing skillpoint tetris to try and spend all skill points.
*sighs* Once again, they raised the skill cap by 50 exp. Do a mission, get the extra 50 exp, and spend the 150 exp you have on a tier 1 skill. Problem solved.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-05-2011, 03:45 PM
Skill cap has been raised by 50 to 72750.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-05-2011, 04:46 PM
Yep. Skill tree works just fine when you get those extra 50 points you're missing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Skill cap has been raised by 50 points to balance this change.

It's in the patch notes somewhere.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-05-2011, 06:06 PM
Or... just remove the fixed amount you have to spend at each tier and allow folks to put points ANYWHERE they like.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-05-2011, 06:15 PM
Raising the level cap still doesn't change the fact that to unlock the tier 2 skills it says you have to spend 6700 points, however the least you can actually spend to get passed this barrier is 6750.

Add to this that fact that by the time you spend all you points in tiers 2-5 you are left with 150 points that can only be spent in tier 1. Thereby forcing you to actually spend 6900 points in tier 1.

Once again, Cryptic threw something out the door without checking it properly first and shows the flaws in Cryptic's skill tree design.

Having each tier cost progressively more points just makes things overly complicated. Why not separate the skill tree from xp and just give us single points to spend as we level? (much the way WoW does it). All Cryptic would have to do then is put something in place that requires us to spend x number of points in tier 1 before tier 2 unlocks and so on for the other tiers.

That way once you have unlocked tier 5 you then have the choice to put all remaining points into tier 5 skills or add them in lower down the tiers.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-05-2011, 06:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony-Jade View Post
Add to this that fact that by the time you spend all you points in tiers 2-5 you are left with 150 points that can only be spent in tier 1. Thereby forcing you to actually spend 6900 points in tier 1.
Not entirely true. I specced my sci character and she had enough for her last skill to be purchased being T2.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-05-2011, 07:49 PM

I've seen a lot of people posting that they're having the same problem. Some of them posting replies saying that they continue to have problems after getting the last 50, so maybe Cryptic needs to look at this and see if there is confusion that can be cleaned up.

Having said that, I've been playing with skill balances multiple times on 3 tribble characters and have yet to have a problem spending all my points.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-06-2011, 01:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
Not entirely true. I specced my sci character and she had enough for her last skill to be purchased being T2.
Fair enough, but you still had to go back to a lower tier to finish spending your points.

It still highlights the same flaw in the system. you're having to go back to lower tiers to add filler points long after you have unlocked the higher tiers, just to finish spending your points.

Once a tier is unlocked, you shouldn't have to go back to a lower tier to spend points, unless you want to.