Lt. Commander
# 11
11-06-2011, 05:14 AM
English is not my native language, so I apologize in advance if something sounds a bit strange.

We are Star Trek Fans, we love this game, despite its very rocky start, the painful bugs, the lacking content for the Klingons and for the game in general.

We know that the guys at Cryptic are as passionate for the work they do, as we are for this game. You can feel it, whenever Gozer, Captn' Logan, Thomas, Heretic and all the others talk in interviews in all the great audio and video podcasts.

When DStahl took over, you could feel the energy. You could feel like there was someone at the helm who focused the Development Team, who had a Vison. To make this game much greater, and much more Trek. And with planning of the Feature Episodes as weekly Content, the Foundry growing and the Ground Update it seemed like the game had hit it's stride, the only thing missing was more manpower. But everything the Devs put out in that time was great, every FE Series was better as the one before... The future looked great.

Then came the talks about Atari selling Cryptic. And it got awful quiet. Then came the News that Perfect World bought Cryptic. We heard "Oh, Perfect World is great, they stand behind this game". Then DStahl left. Right now it feels like they stand in the shadows putting little price tags on everything. This is not an Asian MMO, this business modell won't work with STO! If they continue on this route, the game will be Free to play sure, but it is loosing its soul.

Sure, the devs still working their magic and producing great things (as we saw in the videos Chris and Jeremy brought back from their Trip to Cryptic). But everything is pushed or held back until Free to Play.

If we want to change things, we have to rant and scream and shout. So eventually changes will be made. If we want to change this course, we have to be united. I am usually quiet on the forums, because I am just one voice in the crowd.

But with the guys from Broadcast UGC, STOked, the Redshirt Army, Priority One we have a group of people who are in contact with Cryptic. Some of the Devs listen and watch the podcast and usually they come forward and answer to our grievances.

We should collect the best, realistic suggestions and ideas from the these forums, bring our podcasters together in a summit like the did before so the can present these suggestions and ideas to our devs.

We are the community and let them be voice. One loud voice that can't be ignored.
Lt. Commander
# 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikodas View Post
The crafting system, however, needs work. Adding such a high dilithium price to the particle traces and other components of crafting prevents crafters from helping their friends. I understand the need to nerf crafting so that players do have to spend some money on Cryptic points since this is going to be your only source of income from the majority of players. I mean... the Devs have families to support too, but this is going too far. I agree with other posters that this will ruin the crafting system in the game.

My suggestion would be to remove dilithium from the crafting system entirely, but remove all epic (purple) level items from crafting. Make the best thing that can be crafted be rare (blue) quality, with the possible exception of crafting only items like the aegis set, which could still have a dilithium requirement added to it. That way crafters in the game can still help new players, friends, and fleet mates with decent but no where near top of the line gear.

This way the crafters still have a purpose and don't feel bogged down with a 60% price hike (dilithium), and yet the items crafters create won't compete with the high-end dilithium gear from vendors.
thats a pretty decent start I think, and I could live with that, nice idea.
Lt. Commander
# 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
I think one of the main Ideas we need to get on top of is getting some form of endgame on the table that is more player driven than repeating the same missions over and over, and we need it before these new players max out and get bored.
Oh, you mean end-game like people have been begging for the past two years?

I'm quite sorry to be a wet-towel here, but I'm only being realistic.

And, you know, I really do hope I'm wrong. But I have been disappointed way too much to be positive anymore. So please forgive me for even posting in this thread.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-06-2011, 05:48 AM
Quote:
The thing that I hadn't realized as a long time player is that while I might be sitting on no content for 2 years, these guys are coming in fresh, and at the pace they play, will likely not hit the cap before newer things are put in place.
Yes, as a new player myself I was just mentioning this in another thread. Without a subscription people can play at their own pace and are less concerned about getting their money's worth every single month.

My general thoughts about the direction of F2P for the Podcasters:

1. Push the release back a few months until its ready. Shoving it out the door early is a very bad idea. This is the second and last chance STO has to make an impression on a wide audience of players. Do it right.

2. Do a major rethink on the revenue model. I know others will disagree, but I personally feel (the LOTRO model of) charging for content works better than the proposed Dilithium tax on everything and associated Dilithium grind and exchange. Don't base your revenue model on that or anything similar to other Asian F2P models. Maybe there's a third approach. Brainstorm and ask for feedback.

When you charge for content, that's also a huge benefit you offer subscribers ("free" access to that premium content).

3. Get rid of Dilithium as a secondary currency. Failing that, lower the Dilithium tax and grind drastically and raise the refine limits (or remove refining).

Dilithium is a bad idea all around (from gameplay and revenue standpoints). Forget the middle currency and simply sell items, services and perks directly in the C-Store. Allow players to earn C-Store points directly for Mission and Accolade completion. Maybe simplify and unify Marks, Merits, Emblems, etc. but keep them for certain barter items in-game, but do not link them in any way to C-Store points. Keep them as a separate reward. (So players would accumulate EC, Marks and C-Store points all directly in-game without any exchange or secondary currency.)

4. Skill revamp looks good. Keep working on it.

5. Ditto for Doffs.

6. Make more content (featured episode quality), player races and ships and charge for them.

The content has to come and players have to have faith that the game will improve and grow, otherwise they won't want to spend anything (a lack of such new content might be perceived as a failing, dying or dead game).

7. Take a look at what Turbine has done with veteran and past subscriber benefits in LOTRO. Past subscribers and people who subscribe for one month, then downgrade to a "Premium" (Silver+) account get more benefits than a standard Premium member. These downgrade benefits would actually form a hidden tier between Gold and Silver.

In LOTRO, things like the currency cap, storage and fast travel are some of the things that lapsed subscribers can permanently keep on characters made or played when their subscription was active. Characters created after they downgrade do not get these benefits. (So they would still have to buy the unlocks later for future characters or subscribe again.)

If you count this hidden tier in the LOTRO F2P matrix, there are actually four levels: 1) VIP (Gold) 2) Premium downgraded from VIP 3) Premium (anyone who spends cash but has not subbed) 4) Purely free players. Think about adding a third tier between Silver and Gold.

There should be permanent benefits for subscribers even after they stop paying and anyone who pays for something in the store should be raised a notch above purely free, non-paying customers. In LOTRO, the Premium (non-subscriber) gets a permanent raised (but still limited) currency cap and an extra character slot.

8. There are so many positives about this game and it has a lot of potential. It does feel thin on content and unfinished. If Cryptic gets it right and hits all the points players are looking for, they may be able to keep people around long enough and bring in enough money to grow the game and bring it closer to fulfilling its promise.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-06-2011, 06:15 AM
Quote:
I did a test recentley with 5 of my freinds that were otver for a poker game last night,
while this doesn't speak exactley to your point on the positives of the changes individually it was still interesting.

What I did was fire up LOTRO, DDO,Fallen Earth, *** and STO.

I gave them a very objective tour of each game, answering questions but not going out of my way to mention pros or cons.

An interesting result was that all 5 agreed that they were going to install and play STO after it went f2p and the reasons why were:

They thought the ships were varied and interesting, and offered something the other games did not.

The option to play traditional MMO combat or shooter mode was a huge factor.

The doff system, bridge officers, skill point advancement, dilithium exchange, and foundry all made them say that complexity wise there was a pretty large amount of things to tinker with and learn, where the other games were very similar to one another.

The most positive response was bridge officers, they loved the idea of having an rpg like party you could gear up and choose thier powers.

They also like the mission style of gameplay as oposed to the kill ten rats style, the ability to log in and do a mission was a cool feature.

I was really surprised and had to take a step back, especially in regards to the cstore and dilithuim aspects. Most of them agreed that given the models used by the other games, besides fallen earth they would spend less money for more options, and all of them agreed that they would as I said be playing come launch.

The thing that I hadn't realized as a long time player is that while I might be sitting on no content for 2 years, these guys are coming in fresh, and at the pace they play, will likely not hit the cap before newer things are put in place.

I think one of the main Ideas we need to get on top of is getting some form of endgame on the table that is more player driven than repeating the same missions over and over, and we need it before these new players max out and get bored.
The new people that come to STO have nothing invested in the game,WE have! That's the problem right there.....things look ok for the 'freebies',but not for the people that have a sub.
Podcasts can be a powerful tool,as long as they are impartial......can't say that Priority One is impartial after hearing the last 2 episodes.Oh,and the rage on the forums?That should be a que to Cryptic that we are not pleased at all.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-06-2011, 06:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaqua
You mean to say that at least they listen to suggestions from a select few that they have a personal relationship with and take employees from.

But, I digress with my jest.
Typical snarky and useless response.

Posting positive comments on these forums is a waste of time
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-06-2011, 06:44 AM
It is a shame that some people can't appreciate biting humor.
But, if I had said something that wasn't true, please let me know.

It is ALSO a shame that noone has commented on the other point I made either.
That is the true waste of time here.

But I think the biggest point that I would like to make is that until these "podcasts" quit coming off as sycophantic fan-**** then they are useless as agents of change.

That ought to be the true "challenge" to Stoked, Priority one, Podcast UCG and RSA
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-06-2011, 03:08 PM
Here is a simple idea for fixing the use of dilithium in crafting. Allow crafters to use either dilithium or rare particle traces in their crafting.

This way people get to choose what they grind for their crafting and doesn't break fleet crafting like the current system in tribble does.

The sheer amount of rare particle traces required in recipes (which is a good thing) already takes days to grind for high end recipes give. That most drops are not what you want, I think that is part of why people are angry about rare particle traces plus dilithium as it is now.

----------------------

A second idea is to make loot drops from normal missions and non-dilithium vendors only be odd level. This gives a premium to crafting, STFs, fleet events, pvp, and other special activities.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-06-2011, 04:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithaqua
It is a shame that some people can't appreciate biting humor.
But, if I had said something that wasn't true, please let me know.

It is ALSO a shame that noone has commented on the other point I made either.
That is the true waste of time here.

But I think the biggest point that I would like to make is that until these "podcasts" quit coming off as sycophantic fan-**** then they are useless as agents of change.

That ought to be the true "challenge" to Stoked, Priority one, Podcast UCG and RSA
When you are producing a podcast based on a game you enjoy it's hard to walk that line. Putting out negativity every week loses people's desire to continue downloading the product.

Lets do our best to keep this thread from becoming like all the others, and focus on positive suggestions. If we can get some compromise on the major points of crafting and new content that people can get behind we can most likely get another auto refinement type win.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-06-2011, 04:58 PM
Quote:
When you are producing a podcast based on a game you enjoy it's hard to walk that line. Putting out negativity every week loses people's desire to continue downloading the product.
It seems to work just fine for Fox News. :p

Quote:
Lets do our best to keep this thread from becoming like all the others, and focus on positive suggestions. If we can get some compromise on the major points of crafting and new content that people can get behind we can most likely get another auto refinement type win.
But... no, I'm not advocating negativity. Just objectiveness.
Those with an inherent BS detector are just as turned away.

I would still like to hear someone explain the 'pro' reason for the tagging of dilithium to crafting. That way a 'reasonable' compromise can be addressed.