Lt. Commander
After the recent patch I leveled a fed science char from scratch, at LT8 I finished "Researcher Rescue" and the Journal suggests Skirmish as the next mission, however its greyed out. I repeated missions from LT8 upto LT Cmdr 1, No option to start the mission. Only thing you get if you hail from the journal window is an explanation from Franklin Drake about what Section 31 is.

I'm sure someone might have spotted this earlier but I do wonder how many people actually role new characters after major changes like the skill tree revamp?

Oh and might be worth mentioning that their is currently no means that I could see to inform players new or old that between missions they might have to do pvp/exploration missions/red alerts or repeat missions to fill in the xp gaps between missions, for a new f2p to play the game as is they might wonder after completing a mission in the journal window why the next mission is greyed out.. I had to repeat some missions before researcher rescue to get that mission, and imho in the early levels forcing a player to repeat something they just did because their isn't enough of a xp reward is going to loose you potential players fast.

Bug Ticket 23,645

FIGURED IT OUT: It looks like the xp gain of each mission has dropped substantially, as a result the skirmish mission won't start till Lt Cmdr 2, so currently you have to grind from Lt 8 to Lt Cmdr 2, Might be the same with later missions too if they are also having to compensate for lower xp values on rewards.

Additional note: seems that the accolade for LT Cmdr 1 Ability is also buggy as instead of lt cmdr 3, it was achieved at lt cmdr 1..
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-06-2011, 05:25 PM
I've noticed the same issue. I finished Research Rescue at Lt 9 then found myself without the next mission. I grinded to LT 10 then Lt Cmdr 1 thinking that would solve it but it didn't. New players shouldn't have to grind to get through the early levels of the game.

Perhaps it'd be an idea to keep some of the patrol missions - the ones that were actually interesting, because there were a few, especially the ones that offered diplomatic xp to jump start new players into the diplomacy ranks. This would give the needed extra xp to get between levels. Or alternatively just ramp up the xp you get from each of the starting missions (though it seems a bit ridiculous as it is getting more xp for lower level missions than you do for the higher level missions, that is if the rest of the patrol missions haven't been scrapped)
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-06-2011, 05:34 PM
you have not earned enough skill points to get the mission, you have to get more skill points before it lets you continue. This whole missioin Chain thing is STUPID !.. and Broken. needs to be undone.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-06-2011, 11:27 PM
There's a huge difference between the early mission xp rewards and after lt cmdr 2, missions after this offer 900 - 1250 xp, i think missions before lt cmdr 2 offer only 500. If the intention was to reduce the xp amount they forgot to reset the level requirement for devidian missions and beyond. After Lt Cmdr 2 though its good, I got to Cmdr without issue, still I had to do some missions a few times to fill the gaps, but the rewards helped anyway. At least I won't have to see that animation that can't be interrupted for the ss azura again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OOP View Post
you have not earned enough skill points to get the mission, you have to get more skill points before it lets you continue. This whole missioin Chain thing is STUPID !.. and Broken. needs to be undone.
I kinda agree with you, I think the journal needs to be suggestive not enforced, or at the very least more informative when you don't have enough xp to start the next mission especially for brand new players.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-07-2011, 02:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by OOP View Post
I disagree. Up until the last patch I think the new mission progression worked really well. Previously it seemed like it was just all over the place - now it's actually cohesive.

Having said that - they need to undo whatever they did in the latest patch and restore the XP gains that missions previously gave you. Oh and give us an explanation and/or an ETA on what is happening with patrol missions which have disappeared too.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-07-2011, 07:05 AM
I may be mistaken, but I think xp from missions was boosted to help people level up faster. Getting rid of extra xp only makes sense the closer we get to F2P being ready to roll out, especially considering the points you can get from the DOFF system to supplement your mission rewards.

Of course, that doesn't change the fact that the content gating system in place is a bug-ridden, arbitrary mess that only limits players' choices in what they want to spend time doing. Scrap it and go back to episodes opening up at certain levels instead of needing ALL prior episodes.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-07-2011, 08:10 AM
I had the same problem with skirmish, So i mistakenly thought i needed to lvl up to get that mission. I was WRONG. You have to physically fly to DS9 to start the mission. The only part broken is that there is no explanation telling you what to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogart99 View Post
After the recent patch I leveled a fed science char from scratch, at LT8 I finished "Researcher Rescue" and the Journal suggests Skirmish as the next mission, however its greyed out. I repeated missions from LT8 upto LT Cmdr 1, No option to start the mission. Only thing you get if you hail from the journal window is an explanation from Franklin Drake about what Section 31 is.

I'm sure someone might have spotted this earlier but I do wonder how many people actually role new characters after major changes like the skill tree revamp?

Oh and might be worth mentioning that their is currently no means that I could see to inform players new or old that between missions they might have to do pvp/exploration missions/red alerts or repeat missions to fill in the xp gaps between missions, for a new f2p to play the game as is they might wonder after completing a mission in the journal window why the next mission is greyed out.. I had to repeat some missions before researcher rescue to get that mission, and imho in the early levels forcing a player to repeat something they just did because their isn't enough of a xp reward is going to loose you potential players fast.

Bug Ticket 23,645

FIGURED IT OUT: It looks like the xp gain of each mission has dropped substantially, as a result the skirmish mission won't start till Lt Cmdr 2, so currently you have to grind from Lt 8 to Lt Cmdr 2, Might be the same with later missions too if they are also having to compensate for lower xp values on rewards.

Additional note: seems that the accolade for LT Cmdr 1 Ability is also buggy as instead of lt cmdr 3, it was achieved at lt cmdr 1..
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-07-2011, 10:25 AM
DS9 - why would you need to go there for the mission to start, it's almost on the other side of galaxy map!?
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by eslavac View Post
I had the same problem with skirmish, So i mistakenly thought i needed to lvl up to get that mission. I was WRONG. You have to physically fly to DS9 to start the mission. The only part broken is that there is no explanation telling you what to do.
Eh? DS9 has got nothing to do with Skirmish, DS9 is in Beta Ursla, Skirmish is in Eta Erandi (or however you spell them), they are not linked in any way other than the fact they are content in Startrek online..
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-07-2011, 05:46 PM
i am ltcm 5 and all my missions are now greyed out after everything old is new. this is game breaking if u ask me.