Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
Info:
I wish to propose to Cryptic to host a Foundry Contest:
Goal to find 3 new employees to focus on creating the best content for STO only.
By utilizing the Foundry System the User Base would try the best missions and vote for there favorite, the time
period could be a full month, the top 10 foundry author's would then be reviewed by Cryptic and the top 3 would be hired to create "REAL" "FULL" Content for STO only.

Just an idea, vote at the link below
Please Vote here
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 2
11-06-2011, 08:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek7820
Info:
I wish to propose to Cryptic to host a Foundry Contest:
Goal to find 3 new employees to focus on creating the best content for STO only.
Programming Content and understanding a Programs tools are two different things.

Would you consider anyone who can use paintshop effectively, a true artist?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 3
11-06-2011, 08:28 PM
well the tools are very similar, i imagine the most creative and dedicated authors will be able to handle the tools. I personally think Nagarak would be an excellent candidate
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 4
11-07-2011, 01:30 AM
i hear the tools are similar, but i think you still need some extra skills. the foundry is a dumbed down version so anybody can use it. i dont think its quite the same thing as doing their job.

anyone who feels they are good at the foundry, and maybe has some extra IT skills can of course just submit their CV and show their foundry work. Cryptic can then decide in face to face meetings if that person is right for the job.

having competitions and hiring people based on what they produce is neither practical or something any business is going to do.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 5
11-07-2011, 08:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reon View Post
Programming Content and understanding a Programs tools are two different things.
Yes, which is why one of the goals behind a system like the Foundry is to automate content-programming tasks into simple templates any content designer can use.

I recall DStahl saying he used the Foundry to create some of the Deferi dailies and then programmers enhanced his content probably with additional logic scripts before the dailies went into the game.

STO could definitely use more people who exclusively design content, even if they only interact with the Foundry.

The true question is funding. It always was.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 6
11-07-2011, 08:53 AM
What they should IMO do is canonize the GOOD foundry missions....
Just imagine if every dev chooses one foundy mission per week and adds that to the official STO-missions, eqiped with a propper emblem/dillithium reward or an item now and then....
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 7
11-07-2011, 08:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
What they should IMO do is canonize the GOOD foundry missions....
Just imagine if every dev chooses one foundy mission per week and adds that to the official STO-missions, eqiped with a propper emblem/dillithium reward or an item now and then....
That would take some dev-time to do, especially putting the rewards into the mission.

I feel though, that Cryptic doesn't really need to do this, but it's just that some players want rewards in Foundry missions more than they want the missions themselves.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 8
11-07-2011, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
That would take some dev-time to do, especially putting the rewards into the mission.

I feel though, that Cryptic doesn't really need to do this, but it's just that some players want rewards in Foundry missions more than they want the missions themselves.
I dont thing that putting up a fitting emblem/dillithium reward would take much time, why should it?
And of course looking through the mission takes some time, but somebody had to do that anyway for once, and also I didnt say it would be no efford, just relativly little compared to the "reward".

And I feel VERY WELL that this is needet.

People want to make some kind of PROGRESS within the game, not just toying arround. And "just toying arround" is what foundry mission playing is.
It may be nice but it means no progress, has no consequences at all. Especially when dillithium is needet in as many areas as it will be soon.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 9
11-07-2011, 09:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
having competitions and hiring people based on what they produce is neither practical or something any business is going to do.
You don't watch much TV, do you?
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 10
11-07-2011, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
I dont thing that putting up a fitting emblem/dillithium reward would take much time, why should it?
Because not doing so allows Cryptic to control how much resources people can get in a given time-period, and in MMO games that's very important for the business people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
People want to make some kind of PROGRESS within the game, not just toying arround. And "just toying arround" is what foundry mission playing is.
It may be nice but it means no progress, has no consequences at all. Especially when dillithium is needet in as many areas as it will be soon.
Progress is a nice thing, however allowing Foundry missions to add to this progress means that players may start to feel the normal in-game content that Cryptic has made is trivialized. In other words, things need to be balanced and balance takes time.

It's not that I don't want to see Foundry missions offering rewards, I just happen to know that adding those rewards into the Foundry system is a complex issue for Cryptic on several levels. That's why the only rewards you can get from Foundry mission(s) is that daily wrapper mission.

And lets be honest here... the moment Foundry missions bring a more substantial reward than the satisfaction of experiencing a new story in the STO Universe, people will exploit them even more than they already do.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:46 AM.