Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 11
11-07-2011, 09:51 AM
I don't think the STO team could support three new mission creators. Last I heard the WoW team at blizzard has about 10-15. One person who is invested in creating content and who is passionate about it can pump out a surprising amount.

An issue with the STO content 'team' at present, is that they seem to be waiting for tools to be created for them to use in missions. To some degree, I can appreciate this, especially for the FE content - as new missions are all fine and good, but if they use the existing tools they will become very similar very quickly (much like the original missions on game launch).

I feel, if they were to hire three new mission creators who have good knowledge of foundry tools and creative personalities ofc, that it would be a bad thing since they couldn't put them to good use under the system in place.

Lt. Commander
# 12
11-07-2011, 09:51 AM
To the OP.... No.

This just leads to all sorts of Bad MoJo.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-07-2011, 09:58 AM
The last thing this game needs is more amateur and unprofessional devs.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-07-2011, 10:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter83 View Post
The last thing this game needs is more amateur and unprofessional devs.
That's just a Teense-Weensy, Itsy-Bitsy-Bit too Harsh...

And not really fair...

The Folks at Crypric are caught between Homers Very Large PWI Rock and the Hard Place Dilithium Bar...

Though it does seem at times, They may be been spending a bit to much time at the bar.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
I don't think the STO team could support three new mission creators. Last I heard the WoW team at blizzard has about 10-15. One person who is invested in creating content and who is passionate about it can pump out a surprising amount.

An issue with the STO content 'team' at present, is that they seem to be waiting for tools to be created for them to use in missions. To some degree, I can appreciate this, especially for the FE content - as new missions are all fine and good, but if they use the existing tools they will become very similar very quickly (much like the original missions on game launch).

I feel, if they were to hire three new mission creators who have good knowledge of foundry tools and creative personalities ofc, that it would be a bad thing since they couldn't put them to good use under the system in place.

That much is true. Especially when almost all Cryptic missions are pretty simple. So simple an average Foundry author likely be able to create a new mission once per day.

The most difficult obstacles would be the dependance on Art Teams and thinking of good mission stories.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Not a really good idea the foundry tools are probbly nothing like the dev tools for creating stuff if anything the foundry tools are pretty limited the one issue i have with them is the lack of Z controls and that most of the maps already have things populating them such as consoles that you can do nothing about.

You want to hire good story writers then do a story competition. if you want to hire map designers then host one in a free engine (UDK/hammer etc) if you want to do art then do it with an art program.

Dont do a best foundry mission competition because al ot of people just go "vote for me because im great" and you get all their friends / fans voting for them even if its a pile of poop.

I will eventually finish my own foundry mission but i want them to alter the tools to put in cut scene controls and better placment of items IE a proper 3d enviroment not a top down 2d one.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-07-2011, 01:05 PM
That is true, if it becomes an official competition then those with the larger friend pool will affect the outcome. This was viritually what happened with the Enterprise-F contest.

But Cryptic is indeed watching for talented Foundry authors.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-07-2011, 01:21 PM
Honestly, I thought this was one of the directions dStahl wanted to go. Nevertheless, there have been posts on here about having Foundry mission contests and those contests then become actual in game missions. This, I think would be the best course of action because right now Cryptic is not churning out the Story Drive Content (note it is a different type of content) like many other MMOs.

These missions would be great filler for all these empty zones we have. All the maps with nothing to do in them except look around and say, well the environmental art is cool but...

So, I would say not necessarily hire people, but have similar in game contests as the fan designed ship, but have it on a monthly rotation and for several categories:
  1. Best Combat Mission
    • Federation
    • Klingon
    • Faction Neutral
  2. Best Non-Combat Mission
    • Federation
    • Klingon
    • Faction Neutral
  3. Best 5-Mission Arc
    • Federation
    • Klingon

The community and developers play the missions and rate them, and then the winners go in for a round of "dev polish". Reward the winning contestants with an in game title and accolade, free up their Foundry Slots, and perhaps an additional foundry slot. Watch how fast content will fill the game!
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-07-2011, 03:16 PM
currently there is no real reward for players to do foundry missions also some of them dont actually list where you start or who you are meant to talk too. it would be nice if cryptic could put in the contacts or allow you to be able to flag up the contacts to start the missions instead of getting the mission then finding the contact. in some cases they dont exist or are incredibly cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-07-2011, 03:25 PM
There are a few issues:
1) This presumes Cryptic can afford three new content developers during the midst of a major change to their largest title's revenue model

2) There's no guarantee that Foundry proficiency means that the user will be a valuable asset on the content team, especially if new employee is unfamiliar with 3dsmax and other technologies.

3) Even hiring three content developers means new missions won't be seen for months due to the time spent familiarizing with the game's engine, toolset and other aspects that Foundry users don't have to deal with.

4) Why buy the cow when you're milking the playerbase for free? (Cryptic, if anything, can be more selective than just hiring amateurs)
With that said, I'm surprised that the game mission content created by the developers during the past six months isn't nearly as good as missions by Captain_Revo and others. I'm wondering if the devs will up the ante or settle for non-mission content?

A better solution:
  • A handful of developers vet player missions on every other Friday afternoon on a rotating basis.
  • Once a month, the best Foundry missions are packaged together into a Foundry Featured Series
    • For Creators
      • This featured series is made official game content and the player is awarded dilithium bundles (as well as having their name on the creation credit fly-by on the mission's start)
    • For Players:
      • The Foundry Featured Series boasts new game items, much like the original featured series
This benefits the game in the following ways:
  • cheaper on the developer end
  • fosters community building
  • recognizes good content for the playerbase