Go Back   Star Trek Online > Information and Discussion > Star Trek Online General Discussion
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
11-07-2011, 04:33 PM
I wish they would hire professionals who would and could make game play content. They have to redo so much of what they do. They need a polish team badly. The quality and amount of game play they have made is pathetic. People should have lost jobs for much of the work done and lack of it in this game.

They need professionals.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-07-2011, 05:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darren_Kitlor
A better solution: [snip]
They are appealing options since they keeps those who are GOOD with the foundry on the foundry and more importantly with the community. It is the missed chances of adding such interaction with the community to the foundry beta that really is its weakness, imo.

Lt. Commander
# 23
11-07-2011, 05:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Revo
i hear the tools are similar, but i think you still need some extra skills. the foundry is a dumbed down version so anybody can use it. i dont think its quite the same thing as doing their job.

anyone who feels they are good at the foundry, and maybe has some extra IT skills can of course just submit their CV and show their foundry work. Cryptic can then decide in face to face meetings if that person is right for the job.

having competitions and hiring people based on what they produce is neither practical or something any business is going to do.
Hate to burst your bubble but Bioware did this years ago with NWN1, and started work on DA: Origins with the people they hired. It is very practical and efficient. It's fine to gather resumes and interview people who have a portfolio, but this cuts the need to market the job.

Unfortunately Foundry doesn't include even an Nth of what Bioware gave in Aurora so the process would be somewhat limited here. Still it may be completely viable.
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-07-2011, 06:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reon View Post
Programming Content and understanding a Programs tools are two different things.

Would you consider anyone who can use paintshop effectively, a true artist?
The bulk of Cryptic's staff are NOT programmers and that's not really what content design is about. It might require some scripting but that isn't the same as programming.

There are two considerations that strike me as pretty big. Can a content designer use Cryptic's tools? Do they show awareness of good design, from story to to spelling/grammar to big picture things like flow?

A really good Foundry mission takes on both of those points UP TO A POINT.

Now, what I think is interesting is that the points a Foundry mission doesn't cover, things like solid use of the machinima tool do cover somewhat. If you can do insane custom machinima and use The Foundry well, I think that shows most of what you'd need, aside from:

A) History of dealing with a project workload.
B) Training, either academic or on the job, in some kind of narrative/artistic theory.

However... A contest slows things down and gets into questions of legality. It's a lot simpler if they do what they do right now and just ask for job applicants to list their Foundry mission; I just wish I could be sure my application, which is over a year old, was getting updated.

All that said... I do think the Foundry tools open up some possibilities down the road when they get more sophisticated, like Cryptic using temp/freelance content designers who could, perhaps, sketchup some elements of a mission in The Foundry. I could really, really see a scenario where they might have freelance map designers on a by-the-job work-for-hire contract 'cause I think that's one area that eats up way too much time with their core staff and STILL manages to have mixed results that are frequently outpaced by Foundry map artists.
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-07-2011, 06:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compston View Post
Hate to burst your bubble but Bioware did this years ago with NWN1, and started work on DA: Origins with the people they hired. It is very practical and efficient. It's fine to gather resumes and interview people who have a portfolio, but this cuts the need to market the job.

Unfortunately Foundry doesn't include even an Nth of what Bioware gave in Aurora so the process would be somewhat limited here. Still it may be completely viable.
Well, Cryptic now SUGGESTS telling them about your Foundry mission in a job application.

Bioware, in turn, requires all applicants to get a copy of NWN 1 and make a module showcasing their profiency with that toolset. They want a professional track record and everything else but before they'll look at your pro resume, they want a demo made using their tools, designed to a bunch of specific specifications.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-07-2011, 09:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
Well, Cryptic now SUGGESTS telling them about your Foundry mission in a job application.

Bioware, in turn, requires all applicants to get a copy of NWN 1 and make a module showcasing their profiency with that toolset. They want a professional track record and everything else but before they'll look at your pro resume, they want a demo made using their tools, designed to a bunch of specific specifications.
My post was a counter argument for someone who said no business would do what the OP suggests. The person who said that is wrong. It's as simple as that. It's already been done.
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-07-2011, 11:49 PM
I have used the NWN1 toolset and it is incredibly robust you can do a lot more with it than you can with the foundry.

I got my degree in games engineering and used a lot of level designers and 3d modeling software looked into story structure and artistic elements as well as programming and scripting, AI pathing and god knows what else i have now probbly forgotten.

If cryptic gave us access to both versions of the foundry IE the version they use and the online dumbed down version i am sure creative people could create some amazing stories. The problem is i bet the software that the devs use probbaly incredibly unstable on anything but the machiens they were programmed to run on and so wouldnt be feasable to be run on a home computer.
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-08-2011, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstAngelus View Post
What they should IMO do is canonize the GOOD foundry missions....
Just imagine if every dev chooses one foundy mission per week and adds that to the official STO-missions, eqiped with a propper emblem/dillithium reward or an item now and then....
One of the best ideas I came about since last friday in this forums.
There are good missions on Foundry Cryptic could learn from.
IMO it shouldn't be so much effort to convert them over to have rewads and XP.
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-08-2011, 12:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Compston View Post

Without knowing the ins and out of what bioware did or did not do, the neverwinter toolsets are totally unique. they literally are devs tools compared to the foundry.

did they hire them blind, did they have an interview?

edit - basically from what leviathan said these guys at bioware gave them a protracted interview with part of it being to impress them with the tools that would be incredibly similar to what they use. thats not the same thing as having people vote for their 10 favourite from dumed down tools then cryptic going through them and hiring them blind based on their mission. what if all 10 are unsuitable people? do they still have to hire 3 because its a competition?
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-08-2011, 01:08 AM
Why would Cryptic hire people to make missions for them when they provide the Foundry and people make missions for them and PAY CRYPTIC for the ability to do so ?

At best, Cryptic would take the missions they like and incorporate them into the actual game with adjusted rewards and some re-mastering.

Result: Cryptic dont need to hire staff for anything and actually get the content anyway.

Incidentally, Cryptic need WAY more technical devs than anything else. That seems to be the major failing with STO since Cryptic can put out loads of new shiny skins on stuff but they consistently suck for mechanics.

Perhaps then we can see more tangible content being provided like Fleet Starbases, Commanding multiple ships, new STFs, new Fleet Actions and new factions.