Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > PvP Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 121
11-12-2011, 02:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustrumRidcully View Post
Cryptic won't go for this, obviously.

Even if we assume they always prioritize such bugs at 100 % priority - some might take simply take longer to fix. They have no interest in anyone posting the details of an exploit on the forum. This will not help the situation on the player side, it will lead to more people exploiting, and more people no longer having fun in the game because they know others are exploiting.
Of course, even this was a generous assumption - they will not prioritize all exploits that high. If they did, I have doubts it took them so long to address this latest issue. (Or we don't want to know what other exploits this game included that took precedence...)
Then why is this exactly the agreement (time varies) that exists in the software busines about much more important security issues. The same argument could be brought forward:

Terrible things happen if you publish the XY security bugs of e.g. windows.

True, but that is why they get the time. And if they didn't care, it is their fault that the thing got published.

Also true, no one is eager to allow a situation that puts presure on him BUT: Over and over again, it has been prooven that without any means of presure it is often more comfortable (less work) to try to keep things secret as to try to fix the problem.

But only fixing the problem is a solution on the long run and doesn't result in endless unfair infractions.

And that is exactly why companies like microsoft, google and others agree that there has to be such a mean of presure... eventualy it is in thier interest because they profit from this gentelmans agreement that they do get time before publication at all!
Lt. Commander
# 122
11-12-2011, 02:09 PM
"No pressure, no diamonds." - Thomas Carlyle

These Devs need much more diamond maker.... we all know diamond is not a word we would use as an adjective; when describing this production.

.... fixing game breaking bugs should be priority number one.... and well put a better way;

"Pressure is something you feel when you don't know what the hell you're doing." Peyton Manning
Lt. Commander
# 123
11-12-2011, 11:30 PM
I've submitted countless times to Cryptic about this issue. This problem has been going on for a very long time now. Either I'm not being heard or they really just don't care. I agree though. I am getting sick and tierd of this crap where people are exploiting powers, abilities, etc and NOTHING gets done about it. This just reminds me how unbalanced and poorly thought the game powers really are.

Perfect example is look back in the day when SNB and Viral Martix were out of control. Now the problems are Scramble Sensors which just needs to be removed from the game period along with Tactical Team.

In all honesty I have given up caring what happens to this game anymore. Which is why I don't play anymore. I haven't played in over 15 months.
Lt. Commander
# 124
11-13-2011, 12:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchland View Post
Then why is this exactly the agreement (time varies) that exists in the software busines about much more important security issues. The same argument could be brought forward:

Terrible things happen if you publish the XY security bugs of e.g. windows.

True, but that is why they get the time. And if they didn't care, it is their fault that the thing got published.

Also true, no one is eager to allow a situation that puts presure on him BUT: Over and over again, it has been prooven that without any means of presure it is often more comfortable (less work) to try to keep things secret as to try to fix the problem.

But only fixing the problem is a solution on the long run and doesn't result in endless unfair infractions.

And that is exactly why companies like microsoft, google and others agree that there has to be such a mean of presure... eventualy it is in thier interest because they profit from this gentelmans agreement that they do get time before publication at all!
But do you think Microsoft or Sony or Steam will ever have a forum policy stating: "We will not moderate any posts detailing exploits and bugs that would allow people to hack our databases etc."? Probably not. It's a policy you can make as someone that found the exploit -I give you 2 months to fix it, then I'll release it to the public. But you will not find the other side making it a policy to be lenient on this. If they have the option to do something about (or rather: against) releasing exploit details, they will take it, and it's always in their interest to do it.
The only thing you can do is protect yourself from repercussions. F2P also brings us the gift of dispoable accounts, at least. But also watch your e-mail and IP.
Lt. Commander
# 125
11-13-2011, 12:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand Al Thor
Well when i use a tac team along with a transfer shield strength plus running my emergency power to shields with borg shields on my cruiser they go to 100%... even sometimes it looks like they go up when i just use a tacteam while running emergency power to shields so just watching them go up is not a cry for hax....
I have seen a super increase of player cheating and I would relish the chance to explain some of these things but I would get an infraction for discussing exploits if I talk about what they are doing or reporting people for using them. People who run MMO's don't care if they cheat because they like to keep them as paying customers. As far as what yer doing thats a standard thing I use too but when ppl do obvious things I know are not suppossed to be legit thats when I cry foul.
Lt. Commander
# 126
11-13-2011, 01:22 AM
there are ways to get it public without going thru these channels
Lt. Commander
# 127
11-13-2011, 05:57 AM
I think that a lot of people are overreacting. I can't tell you how many times someone has been accused of double shield stacking but independently checking the log showed that they were in fact innocent. I even took the word of one person I believed to be knowledgable and reported someone who, after checking my logs, wasn't doing anything fishy at all. It's tough trying to get something fixed with all of these ridiculous ego or ignorance driven erroneous reports. I had to file another ticket to try to fix it but it ends up being a lot like the boy who cried wolf.

Let me be clear. That someone won't die with x number of people shooting at them is evidence of nothing. People are purposely abusing this but it can happen accidentally.The Borg shield proc also makes the logs more confusing so please do some research, ask some questions before accusing anyone. This exploit does exist but the amount of paranoia is disproportionate to its abuse.

They claim to have identified the problem so hopefully they get a fix up soon and we can get back to other issues like the z-axis tanking and cannon blind spot.
Lt. Commander
# 128
11-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
I think that a lot of people are overreacting. I can't tell you how many times someone has been accused of double shield stacking but independently checking the log showed that they were in fact innocent. I even took the word of one person I believed to be knowledgable and reported someone who, after checking my logs, wasn't doing anything fishy at all. It's tough trying to get something fixed with all of these ridiculous ego or ignorance driven erroneous reports. I had to file another ticket to try to fix it but it ends up being a lot like the boy who cried wolf.

Let me be clear. That someone won't die with x number of people shooting at them is evidence of nothing. People are purposely abusing this but it can happen accidentally.The Borg shield proc also makes the logs more confusing so please do some research, ask some questions before accusing anyone. This exploit does exist but the amount of paranoia is disproportionate to its abuse.

They claim to have identified the problem so hopefully they get a fix up soon and we can get back to other issues like the z-axis tanking and cannon blind spot.
agreed. I dont know how many time ive been accused of this hack. Every time I ask why, its either because they say im taking too much damage, or they cant produce any log evidence to back it up. Its always because they're just frustrated. Same as the "spammers" comment. Gets thrown around a lot more than it probably should.
Lt. Commander
# 129
11-13-2011, 12:48 PM
Yeah, I've read Raph's post on how to distinguish a real multi-shielder from a normal player.

And from my logs of the games I've played in they fall in line with the claims of other fleets of those certain players.

One thing I learned from my experience in various multiplayer games is that once something that gives an advantage is known: people will abuse it until it is closed.

Meh, it doesn't bother me anyway. I'm too busy plowing through my other games to care to login right now. I just hope Fark's post is legit and they did find and will squash that bug so that when I come back they will have put the exploiters right where they belong.
Lt. Commander
# 130
11-13-2011, 02:40 PM
My only problem is, even if they fix the bug where you can't Equip another shield, or other item in the wrong slot, what about the people that already did that, and have it already set that way?

Will the wrongly slotted items just cease to function? Will they get ejected from the slot and placed in your bag (provided there's space, or an Overflow if there isn't)? Or Will they just delete the wrongly placed items completely?

Me.. I'd like to see the Third option happen.. not that I'm vengeful or anything.. but I have little respect to anyone who feels they have to exploit to get ahead in this kind of a gaming environment.