Lt. Commander
# 11
11-07-2011, 07:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
2) isnt putting the VA token at the 600 day reward a DIRECT contradiction of saying you dont want to penalize people who get to VA quickly by making them wait for the minimum time?
I don't see this as an issue, because people would have had to play for almost 2 years before they are eligible for that. If it takes someone 600 days to reach VADM, then maybe they deserve a free ship. by this point I think most players will have already reached VA on at least one toon and gotten their ship long before day 600.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-07-2011, 07:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
I don't see this as an issue, because [snip]
Its an issue because instead of fixing it for the reasons he stated, he instead is actually making another reason why it would be penalizing the customer.

1. Get VA after a month and a day - can fly VA ship.....
.... need to wait 1 full month for the token to kick in (bit of a penalty forcing the customer to wait 4 weeks after getting to VA).

2. Get VA after a month and a day - can fly VA ship.....
.... need to wait 19 full months for the token to kick in (more of a penalty forcing the customer to wait 133 weeks after getting to VA).

So the exploit is solved. Just like how you can put a fire out in your kitchen using explosives (to deny the fire air) instead of just water (less damaging that blowing up your entire kitchen to stop the fire).

It devalues the reward for those who only play one character, or those who do not want to get the ship via dilithium or cash. For the reason he gave, there is no reason to add it to the 600 day other than to replace the emblems with something they had to hand.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACES_HIGH View Post
I don't see this as an issue, because people would have had to play for almost 2 years before they are eligible for that. If it takes someone 600 days to reach VADM, then maybe they deserve a free ship. by this point I think most players will have already reached VA on at least one toon and gotten their ship long before day 600.
Your right.

most players will have there VA ship well before they reach the 600 day mark; however, there will only be 2 paths to that VA ship now.

The 1st path leads to Grind road.
The 2nd path leads to the C-Store

Once appon a time there was another path and on that path all the travler had to do to earn there VA ship was to level to VA.

This change does not effect me at all, I'm well over 600 days and I have all the End game ships that I want for now.

The problem with this mess is that we are told one thing by Cryptic and then they do something completly different and tell us that we misunderstood what they ment.

The game is slowly railroading newer players or players the role alts to the C-Store.

It would be eaiser if Cryptic would just stop telling us what we want to hear and start telling us what we need to hear.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-07-2011, 07:54 PM
Neeeeeevermind. Nothing to see here. Move along.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-07-2011, 08:06 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Q
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-07-2011, 08:14 PM
This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Community Rules and Policies. ~Q
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-07-2011, 08:21 PM
I'm curious as to what they are supposed to do to please everyone on this one.

They can't just give away a free ship at VA to everyone, it's probably the only guarnateed item they can sell to a new player, and basically it's pricing is equivalent to the cost of a 2 month sub, likely about the same amount of time it will take an average casual f2p player to get to VA.

So if the complaint here is that gold members should get a free ship as part of a subscription fee, then basically what needs to happen is two months worth of a stipend should equal a ship.

If you a current subscriber, then like the above poster said level up your characters now, and get the token before F2p comes along.

Running this game is going to cost money, they can't just give everything away to free players and hope that the one guy buying vanity pets is going to support the cost of keeping the servers on.

At some point you have to charge money, as a lifetime subscriber I don't really care about the VA token, I'll have my characters with tokens by the end of the weekend and in two months ill get the 600 day reward. I'm pretty sure many players are like me as well, either they have a VA ship or are close to a token on holodeck.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-07-2011, 08:32 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
I'm curious as to what they are supposed to do to please everyone on this one.

They can't just give away a free ship at VA to everyone, it's probably the only guarnateed item they can sell to a new player, and basically it's pricing is equivalent to the cost of a 2 month sub, likely about the same amount of time it will take an average casual f2p player to get to VA.

So if the complaint here is that gold members should get a free ship as part of a subscription fee, then basically what needs to happen is two months worth of a stipend should equal a ship.

If you a current subscriber, then like the above poster said level up your characters now, and get the token before F2p comes along.

Running this game is going to cost money, they can't just give everything away to free players and hope that the one guy buying vanity pets is going to support the cost of keeping the servers on.

At some point you have to charge money, as a lifetime subscriber I don't really care about the VA token, I'll have my characters with tokens by the end of the weekend and in two months ill get the 600 day reward. I'm pretty sure many players are like me as well, either they have a VA ship or are close to a token on holodeck.
Your right; this game definitely needs to take in money to stay running. And if someone is paying a monthly sub then they are providing revenue for the game. So as long as someone has subbed 2 months then that negates the "exploit" issue D'Angelo talked about. And if a subscription is required to get a VA ship then its not "free", so Cryptic is still getting their money.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-07-2011, 08:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
I'm not sure I actually agree with all of that, but either way I'm not sure what you mean or are implying in relation to what I am talking about in the OP. Are you saying he really didnt mean the things he said or what?
I think what Katic is saying (and forgive me if I misinterpret) is that D'Angelo was hired to just bring out the currently known facts of the transition to F2P, and when something changes, he doesn't explain why it was changed, just brings out the new, changed facts of what's going on. If players get mad/angry/emo and rant at him, it's okay, because he's there to take all that.

Once the dust has settled, his job is done and he'll move on, and we'll have somebody like DStahl used to be in charge who everybody will love in comparison.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-07-2011, 08:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destinii
I think what Katic is saying (and forgive me if I misinterpret) is that D'Angelo was hired to just bring out the currently known facts of the transition to F2P, and when something changes, he doesn't explain why it was changed, just brings out the new, changed facts of what's going on. If players get mad/angry/emo and rant at him, it's okay, because he's there to take all that.

Once the dust has settled, his job is done and he'll move on, and we'll have somebody like DStahl used to be in charge who everybody will love in comparison.
I see. Well regardless of D'Angelo's communication style, as far as I know Stormshade is the community representative which means he serves as the intermediary between the community and Devs. So even if D'Angelo isnt going to come here and explain his sudden "change of heart" regarding the quote in the OP, Stormshade can do so.
Closed Thread