Lt. Commander
# 31
11-08-2011, 01:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
This thread really isnt about whether the ship is "needed" or whether people need "patience" or not, its about what D'Angelo told us and what they are now planning on doing.
Okay, you want an explanation?

D'Angelo only said what was in the plans at the time but because of other things in the plans a hole was left in the 600 day Veteran Reward (ie, the removed Emblems) and they knew players were upset about losing the VA Token. So, they changed the plans. Since they removed the Emblems it probably seemed fitting to add the VA Token to that Veteran Reward rather than rework every other Veteran Reward in order to make it fit into your suggested time period (ie, two months). This makes it even more likely that a temporary player (as many F2Pers are) will rather spend the money to get the ship early rather than pay a sub and wait. Sounds like bean counter thinking to me. The player either subs and waits or pays for immediate satisfaction. Either way they profit.

Does that work for you?
Edit: Come on. You're the Grand Nagus. You should know how this stuff works!

Lt. Commander
# 32
11-08-2011, 01:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Gambit0 View Post
It just seems par for the coarse that Cryptic has been on lately.

It's hard to take anything that Cryptic reps have been saying seriously at all these days.

We here something from a rep one day and then the next day we're being told that we misinterpreted what they ment even though their words were 100% clear.

Let's face it giving us a VA token once we reach level cap will hurt Cryptics C-Store sales on VA retrofits and other end game vessels, they needed to take away that token and the 250 emblems to hopefully boost C-Store sales on max level ships.

There was no intention of ever giving the emblems or that token back; however, when the fourms started rageing Cryptic needed to tell us something to calm us down and buy them some more time to come up with a solution.

Wow, what a solution Cryptic has come up with!

Rejoice my friends... we now have our access to our VA tokens again and we'll be able to claim our free VA +1 ship about a year and a half after we reach level cap
Yes, but you already are a VA you will not get nothing.
Lt. Commander
# 33
11-08-2011, 01:48 AM
So.. the reason there isnt a Token at VA for golds is the Bean Counters got a hissy fit players could sub for a month at a 15$ value, get a token thats going to ostensibly be worth 25$ after the prices go up and cancel after the month?

Gee, and you wonder why people hate bean counters. Honestly how many people are going to do this? Oh boy 10 out of 100 people "exploited" the system! Thats too much money we just lost!

Way to go Ferengi.
Lt. Commander
# 34
11-08-2011, 02:37 AM
The 500 day reward replacement is pretty mediocre. They are giving back something they took away.

What happened to this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinig View Post
I'm not an artist, so I can't do any special uniforms or anything like that.

Currently exploring the possibility of giving a unique bridge officer who has the special trait "Veteran," which is not otherwise available . . . we shall see!
http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...94#post3787994

just add this disappointment to the pile that Cryptic has already built up.
Lt. Commander
# 35
11-08-2011, 07:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone1970 View Post
Yes, but you already are a VA you will not get nothing.
Your right,

Has a said in another post in this thread, these changes really do not affect me at all.

Iíve got over 650 days subbed, of my seven active toons; all but one is at level Cap.

I have all the end game +1 ships that I could need and if I never chose to pick up another C-Store vessel Iíll be just find; however, that is not the point that I was trying to make.

The issue for me with this whole VA token as a 600 day vet reward is the fact that itís almost pointless to any new player and makes little to no sense at all.

Unless Cryptic makes some major changes to the way STO is played and somehow gimps the rate at which a player can progress in STO by an insane amount, an average player will be able to go from start to level cap in about 30 days give or take.

The way it worked before once the player reached level cap they earned their free end game ship token has a reward for playing through the game and could choose from a select number of +1 vessel and begin their stint in purgatory (I mean End Game)

Now a player that reaches level cap only has 2 viable choices:

A. Grind up DL and use it to buy a stock T5 vessel that we use to be able to get for free or with energy credits.

B. Invest some cash in the C-Store and buy the +1 T5.5 vessels that they can afford.

Cryptic is well aware of the fact that once F2P goes live most monthly subs will switch over to F2P, I canít imagine anyone wanting to burn $15.00 a month for 20 months to get a 8000 C-Point stipend and a free +1 Ship token that will cost them a grand total of 300 dollars when for the small price of about $50.00 a Sliver STO player can get most of that in a month.

Iím a bit confused about the how 600 Day VA Token that is being given out now will work.

Does every Character on the 600 day vet account get to claim that token or is it set to 1 token per account?

If it is set at 1 token per account, lifers and monthly subers that have over 600 days in but only have one or two Characters on their accounts and have not purchased any T5.5 account wide unlocked vessels for themselves will find that any alts they may role will be in the same boat has a F2Per.
Lt. Commander
# 36
11-08-2011, 07:28 AM
I'd be happy enough to keep this as a 500 day vet reward (not 600, since it is supposed to be replacing the emblems lost at 500 days), providing it was one token per character and not per account. I'm sure I saw in the original dev post about this that the token was going to be for an account wide unlock. So, 500 days subscription, then every character you create unlocks a VA ship across your account.

Given the limited number of charcater slots, and the fact that such long term players have several VAs, and most likely a lot of ships already from the C-Store, this arrangement might actually work out ok for Cryptic.

Of course, if it is 600 days, one token per account, then hell no. That is an awful deal.
Lt. Commander
# 37
11-08-2011, 08:42 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Startruck
Then to my point, the battle to fight in this case is to get the stipend a subscriber receives adjusted.

If the stipend sits at 400 a month, then a subscribing customer needs to wait 3 months to get a 1200 c store ship.

now I have read somewhere there was some kind of discount for subscribers in the Cstore? or was I imagining that....not sure.

basically what it boils down to is is a free ship worth two months of sub fees or three months? as a ship costs 25 bucks to buy outright then I'd have to argue that the stipend needs to be 600 a month, that way both methods are equal in cost, but favour the monthly subscribers...thus adding another incentive.
If I'm not mistaken these ship prices are being raised to 1600 or 2000.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackavaar View Post
Okay, you want an explanation?

D'Angelo only said what was in the plans at the time but because of other things in the plans a hole was left in the 600 day Veteran Reward (ie, the removed Emblems) and they knew players were upset about losing the VA Token. So, they changed the plans. Since they removed the Emblems it probably seemed fitting to add the VA Token to that Veteran Reward rather than rework every other Veteran Reward in order to make it fit into your suggested time period (ie, two months). This makes it even more likely that a temporary player (as many F2Pers are) will rather spend the money to get the ship early rather than pay a sub and wait. Sounds like bean counter thinking to me. The player either subs and waits or pays for immediate satisfaction. Either way they profit.

Does that work for you?
Edit: Come on. You're the Grand Nagus. You should know how this stuff works!

I completely understand their goal is to make money. However his statements in the OP arent "plans" that were changed, they were him talking about how he felt about not wanting to penalize players who got to VA quickly by making them wait. So apparently he now does want to penalize players who get to VA quickly by making them wait until 600 day?
Lt. Commander
# 38
11-08-2011, 08:50 AM
Another thing that really irritates me is that Klingons get shafted....again.
The Marauder and Varanus which are currently obtainable with a VA/LG ship token are being moved down to Brigadier General, which means they will become unobtainable with the token.
Lt. Commander
# 39
11-08-2011, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingdox View Post
The 500 day reward replacement is pretty mediocre. They are giving back something they took away.

What happened to this: unique Bridge Officer with the "vertarn" trait

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...94#post3787994

just add this disappointment to the pile that Cryptic has already built up.
Thanks for telling me what my new Android Bridge Officer trait might be
Lt. Commander
# 40
11-08-2011, 09:34 AM
This might be the wrong thread to post this in, but there's so many VA token threads currently...well..I apologize if this post is in the wrong place.

With all discussion over the VA token and it's now-reintroduction as a Veteran Reward..could we change the VA token? As it now stands, it will give you one of the VA retrofits (Defiant, Galaxy and Intrepid) for free, rather than having to buy it in the C-Store/with emblems, correct? Could this be changed to allow one free VA ship of any sort?

If this was in place as the "new" Veteran Reward VA Token, it me it makes it more fitting as a Veteran Reward. And it's a new Veteran Reward, so the people who missed out on the 250 Emblems get something else (in my opinion, equally as valuable, since it can be used for all VA level ships, not just the aforementioned three classes), where those of us who did earn the 250 Emblems/current VA token would not earn this new reward (retroactively), but players who earn the "new" Veteran Reward would get the "new" token.

I think this is a reasonable solution. What do you all think?
Closed Thread