Lt. Commander
# 1 Can someone summarize for me?
11-08-2011, 08:42 AM
So,

I see that much of my "doom and gloom" outlook seems to be coming true. Still a dearth of new content, and now what I'm reading on sites like Massively suggests the game is being made much more grindy as a vehicle to push people to the store to purchase shortcuts. I've taken some time off from STO recently (nice thing about a lifetime sub), and I'd like to get a summary of what's really going on rather than just read the negative press and assume that's the whole story.

Should I patch up and come back to playing? I saw that DStahl left ... did they say anything other than the usual politicalspeak about that? From what I've read at places like massively, seems like maybe he left because of disagreement with blatant cash shopization?

Like I said, and obviously as you can see from my post, I've only seen bad press ... was hoping someone can show me some good stuff
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-08-2011, 08:46 AM
If you want the rose-colored glasses side of things, go here. Otherwise, log into Tribble and level a character. That's really the best way to learn about the F2P changes and whether you'll like them or not.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-08-2011, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWyndre View Post
Should I patch up and come back to playing?
Sure, why not? The most you have to lose is time. And who knows, perhaps playing the game would help you forget the Forum Drama.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-08-2011, 08:48 AM
I try to stay out of the forum drama these days. I'm not so far off from a permanent vacation from the forums, and sometimes I have something useful to add

Like ... this is kind of what it seems like to me. A very large percentage of the established playerbase is lifetime subscribers. Since the only way to make money off of us will be the c-store, it seems like much of the game is being rigged to reach into our pockets some more. It was already fairly grindy as it was to go grind up all the data samples and rare particles needed to craft the nice gear ... but now we will have to grind up something called "dilithium" on top of that?

From what I've read elsewhere, it can take as much as 15-20 hours of playtime to make one item ... I mean ... seriously?
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-08-2011, 09:19 AM
The game on Holodeck has improved for the most part. The game on Tribble is questionable but at least the DOFF system is there if you want to check it out.

I would say there is no real good reason NOT to check it out if you are a Lifer. See for yourself and if you like it then go for it.

I have no clue about why Stahl left and cannot comment on that. However, it is true that there is a high turn around in the developer market so it could be nothing more than that or he could have had an issue with PW's new goals it is hard to say.

As for a summery of what has changed on Holodeck: Bug Fixes, Ships that used to suck don't suck so much anymore or at all in some cases, Torpedoes are better than they were (IMO), Scramble Sensors is mildly nerfed, Boarding Party is buffed, new bugs have cropped up (normal), New C-Store Ships are available.

As for what is coming... weeelll... Doff system (Fun minigame basically), Major Slowing down of your ability to outfit yourself with the gear you need, Crafting will be obsolete and cost Dilithium thus slowing it down even further, STF's got broken into parts and generally improved but now you have to grind them to get what you want, One Currency to Rule them All (Dilithium) which you can only process 8K of a day which is not much vs. what you will be spending IF you can grind up that much a day to begin with, Added Grinding for Grinding's Sake, Simplification of the Skill Tree as well as overall power nerf especially in terms of survivability, Everything but ships from the C-Store unlocks for characters only and only once but may be tradable, these are at the account unlock prices though , Higher C-Store Prices, Missions now rail-road you through them limiting your freedom including the Featured Episodes which are set at a particular spot in the line-up, For instance the Breen stuff is saved for the 40 levels so you cannot just use it to get good equipment for yourself and your ship and level up , Lower Drop rates for all goodies from enemies to make you more dependent on higher Difficulties or Dilithium, EC's = Worthless... That about covers most of this stuff but that is on the Test Server, it may stay that way or it may not.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-08-2011, 09:23 AM
Wow ... one of the best things about the game was that you could do the FE's at different level ranges so that the rewards were good for players at all stages. STO was already a fringe game before honestly ... the more I read, the more sad I am about the new overlords.

This forced path through the missions is the worst idea I've ever read. Have the devs even played the DS9 invasion mission? There are so many bugs that make missions impossible to complete. The game already lacked choice. I mean, it's almost like someone said "What could we do to drive STO into the ground as quickly as possible?" and then went about implementing the answers.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkWyndre
Wow ... one of the best things about the game was that you could do the FE's at different level ranges so that the rewards were good for players at all stages. STO was already a fringe game before honestly ... the more I read, the more sad I am about the new overlords.

This forced path through the missions is the worst idea I've ever read. Have the devs even played the DS9 invasion mission? There are so many bugs that make missions impossible to complete. The game already lacked choice. I mean, it's almost like someone said "What could we do to drive STO into the ground as quickly as possible?" and then went about implementing the answers.
lol... Nah, this is just PW's standard model. It was not streamlines for STO. That is giving them too much credit. The ordered missions are okay but the FE being limited is kinda bogus IMO.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Stay away from the forums, until you load up and determine things for yourself. The F2P blogs are all the guide you need to get IN and knowledgeable about WTF is happening. They do present their own agenda though.

Its not all doom and gloom. Most articles on such sites are out of date now, since Cryptic has been folding like a house of cards on several important community issues lately. If you want to delve into the root of things, I suggest catching up on some of the podcasts or livestreames, in particular STOked which had a recent trip to Cryptic HQ which might be of interest to you.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-08-2011, 08:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik View Post
Stay away from the forums, until you load up and determine things for yourself.
Best advice, ever. MMO Forums can sometimes poison you away from a game faster than the worst PvP stalkers (in an open-world PvP game) ever could.

When I was playing City of Heroes, I didn't even know how much that game sucked until I started going to the CoH Forums. Eventually I discovered that some people love complaining about the game rather than play it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-08-2011, 09:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nynik
Stay away from the forums, until you load up and determine things for yourself. The F2P blogs are all the guide you need to get IN and knowledgeable about WTF is happening. They do present their own agenda though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
Best advice, ever. MMO Forums can sometimes poison you away from a game faster than the worst PvP stalkers (in an open-world PvP game) ever could.

When I was playing City of Heroes, I didn't even know how much that game sucked until I started going to the CoH Forums. Eventually I discovered that some people love complaining about the game rather than play it.
What the heck is it with people trying to bring logic to the forums? If there's no "DOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMM" or conspiracy theorizing going on, it doesn't belong here!