Lt. Commander
By StarTrek.com (check out the offical poll)

November 08, 2011

It’s Election Day, and with that in mind we thought we’d pit two of Star Trek’s legendary captains – Kirk and Picard – in a battle of wits, wisdom, brawn, compassion and more… with no less than the presidency of the United Federation of Planets at stake. And we need your help. Answer the 12 questions below and post your thoughts on either StarTrek.com or the Star Trek Facebook page. OK, let the debates rage on.

Forgetting the fact that James T. Kirk and Jean-Luc Picard are fictional characters, who would you vote for if they both ran for President?

If one were a Republican and one were a Democrat, who would belong to which party, and why?

Who is the more compassionate man, Kirk or Picard?

If the country were going to war, which captain would you want serving as Commander in Chief?

Who’s the better diplomat?

If Kirk and Picard were to hold a debate, who’d win – and why?

Who’d be their respective running mates?

Who’d be their respective campaign managers?

If Kirk and Picard had to marry in order to become President, who’d make the ideal respective First Lady for each men?

What would Kirk and Picard’s respective campaign slogans be?

Kirk and Picard tie in the election and the winner must be determined by a mano-a-mano, knock-down/drag-out fight, no phasers allowed. Who triumphs?

If Kirk and Picard ran on the same ticket, who’d be President and who’d be Vice President? And if they won, how do you think that administration would work out?

Bonus question: You refuse to vote for either Kirk or Picard. Who is your write-in candidate, and what would make him or her better than Kirk or Picard?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-08-2011, 09:54 AM
picard would be the better president. he would mesmerise people with his speeches.

kirk would have as at war by lunch time after dropkicking the gorn king in the face.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Forgetting the fact that James T. Kirk and Jean-Luc Picard are fictional characters, who would you vote for if they both ran for President? Picard

If one were a Republican and one were a Democrat, who would belong to which party, and why? Iowa is more often shown as a Democrat leaning state, therefore I'll say Kirk is a Democrat and Picard the Republican.

Who is the more compassionate man, Kirk or Picard? Picard , Kirk liked getting Redshirts killed Often

If the country were going to war, which captain would you want serving as Commander in Chief? Picard since the Commander in Chief roll isn't a "Generals" roll, it is still far more diplomatic

Who’s the better diplomat? Picard

If Kirk and Picard were to hold a debate, who’d win – and why? Picard, he is far better spoken, and people would start getting annoyed with the ... dramatic pauses... from Kirk.

Who’d be their respective running mates? Kirks would be Spock because of his incredible wisdom. Picards could be Troi for her ability to be in touch with the people.

If Kirk and Picard had to marry in order to become President, who’d make the ideal respective First Lady for each men? Kirk-Carol Marcus, Picard-Anij

What would Kirk and Picard’s respective campaign slogans be? Kirk "We come in peace, Shoot to Kill" Picards "Make it so"

Kirk and Picard tie in the election and the winner must be determined by a mano-a-mano, knock-down/drag-out fight, no phasers allowed. Who triumphs? Kirk of course

If Kirk and Picard ran on the same ticket, who’d be President and who’d be Vice President? And if they won, how do you think that administration would work out? Picard President, Kirk Vice ; Drama would erupt Kirk when "accidently" shot a Redshirt, thinking he was a bird. Later a scandal would erupt when 32 female Orion illegal immagrants were found "working" at Kirks ranch.

Bonus question: You refuse to vote for either Kirk or Picard. Who is your write-in candidate, and what would make him or her better than Kirk or Picard? Worf, he would bring Honor to the Empi-... I mean Federation.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-08-2011, 12:21 PM
I'd say Kirk would make the better president, but both have strong qualities that would make them desirable leaders.

Picard is definitely the better diplomat, (though both men are far from weak in that area). Debates might run long, but his diction would be excellent and would certainly sway many minds. He'd be the best to solve conflicts without threat of violence, but it capable of kicking *** if absolutely necessary.

Kirk would be better, though, I think. He's a fine diplomat in his own right, but isn't afraid to "carry a big stick", and is less afraid to utilize it. He'd back his words with muscle, but is wise enough to know the line between backing words with actions and plain old bullying. Put simply, he'd get s*** done, and without needless delay.

DISCLAIMER: I am not nearly as educated in political workings as I ought to be, so my viewpoint is pretty... well, uneducated, I freely admit.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Kirk is the obviuos choice during these war-torn times and he won't even need a security detail in public becuase he is the Kirk.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-08-2011, 01:34 PM
Forgetting the fact that James T. Kirk and Jean-Luc Picard are fictional characters, who would you vote for if they both ran for President? Kirk - Plenty of Charisma and plenty of forseeable initiatives to counter issues. (alot of them being high risk and on the spur of the moment)

If one were a Republican and one were a Democrat, who would belong to which party, and why? Kirk would be a democrat because hes clearly descended from Bill Clinton. But I don't think Picard would be a Republican.

Who is the more compassionate man, Kirk or Picard? I think later era Picard would win here. While Kirk underwent some significant character changes, especially in his attitude of the potentially dying Klingon empire... I think Picard wins out for me in how he responds many times to the sufferings or misfortunes of others and often times does him self harm because of it, be it career wise, or personal happiness etc

If the country were going to war, which captain would you want serving as Commander in Chief? Locutus of... um, lol

Who’s the better diplomat? Kirk short-term (charms the pants off people, easy to get along with, diffuses situations), Picard long-term (builds foundations of long lasting trust and cooperation and mutual respect etc).

If Kirk and Picard were to hold a debate, who’d win – and why? Kirk, as he would repeatedly set the tone of the debate, quicker than Picard could build a factual argument

Who’d be their respective running mates? Picard-Guinan (safe hands, solid advice, fantastic hats, keeps a gun on hand like **** Cheney) / Kirk-Bones (reality check, ego check, mirror universe imposter check)

Who’d be their respective campaign managers? Picard-#1 (master tactician, beard) / Kirk-Uhura (communications, pr, fan dance)

If Kirk and Picard had to marry in order to become President, who’d make the ideal respective First Lady for each men? Kirk-Hillary Clinton (a woman who would lie for him) / Picard-Lieutenant Commander Nella Daren (a better match than that silly ba'ku lady)

What would Kirk and Picard’s respective campaign slogans be? Picard-"Engage! In Democracy!" / Kirk-"KHAAAAAN-template a brighter tomorrow!"

Kirk and Picard tie in the election and the winner must be determined by a mano-a-mano, knock-down/drag-out fight, no phasers allowed. Who triumphs? Kirk. It just doesn't even factor in for Picard.

If Kirk and Picard ran on the same ticket, who’d be President and who’d be Vice President? And if they won, how do you think that administration would work out? Kirk would be president but Picard would clean up after him.

Bonus question: You refuse to vote for either Kirk or Picard. Who is your write-in candidate, and what would make him or her better than Kirk or Picard? Ensign Robin Lefler - Someone reliable with a good heart and a solid rulebook to fix a nation and a people's woes.

Quote:
"Every time I learn something essential," she explained, "I make up a law about it, so I never forget."
17. When all else fails, do it yourself.
36. You gotta go with what works.
108. It's not over until it's over, and sometimes not even then.