Lt. Commander
# 101
11-08-2011, 09:01 PM
With conservative reservation to see how this is actually implemented, this is one of the best Blog posts.

I actually like the date, as it gives a reasonable amount of time to get things polished. It will also be available pretty much right around the end of SWTOR's first 30 days and could capture some diheartened players. And this allows a couple of weeks prior to the anniversary, so that the party can be big, but the new players don't feel like it is normal and then get dissapointed/dissolusioned, when it goes away.

While I would have really preferred some of the recommended crafting solutions, that would actually make it as much fun to do as the Doff system, at least fleet crafting can continue. This, however, is greatly awaiting the pricing models of the dilithium mats. Please make them reasonable. Implementing the 60% dilithium cost of a vendor will still kill crafting.

Really like the concept of the patrol missions. While I understand the irritation factor of trying to get to one place and getting the pop ups, that is more Trek. Picard didn't just shoo away Worf when an emergency call came in. I would prefer it to feel random. I also like the suggestion of multiple missions per system, and have those randomly pop up too. But I am probably asking too much for that.

Thanks for listening. However, I would suggest you let the community know about future large changes so that we can help design it. There are some bright people out here. Granted, there are some idiots too, but we all love Star Trek and really want this to be a success. Let us help!
Lt. Commander
# 102
11-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Btw Cryptic, I like the proposed patrol changes. This is how "exploration content" should be done in Star Clusters as well.

All of those "exploration" missions where some base/planet already knows of Starfleet/KDF and needs help with X is not exploration. Or the hundreds of "secure system" maps... Those are patrols not exploration.

For true exploration, you need to make plenty of new missions. Ones where the player can come across worlds and species never encountered before. Things like Under Cover Pre-Warp Civilization Studies for Feds. And Subjugation / Resource Exploitation for Klingons. Ancient mysteries to uncover. Unknown diseases that infect your away team upon investigating a new planet.

Make plenty of these and make them random planets in Star Clusters that get changed/shuffled frequently. THAT is true exploration.
Lt. Commander
# 103
11-08-2011, 09:33 PM
I am highly skeptical of this "compromise" for Crafting.

First off, I hope that the total Dilithium required for these "Material Blocks" will turn out to be far less than the current Dilithium tax on Tribble, as on the order of only 1/6 to 1/5 as much. If it's still taking two or three days to get the Dilithium up to craft one item, it's too much Dilithium, and not good enough.

Secondly, no matter how much or how little this "compromise" may satisfy the needs of large fleets, it will still negatively affect the Small ones. My KDF House has only two players in it at the moment (due to the exodus over the various P2W & Grind or Pay debacles). No matter how much or how little Dilithium is required, it's still going to require an additional, previously unnecessary (and as far as I'm concerned, ethically unjustifiable as far as it affects Golds) grind.

Thirdly, if you've still gated all but odd-mark common gear with Dilithium, the game will still be an unplayable grind for anyone but those happy with the absolute bottom-of-the-barrel gear. I can understand Dilithium gates for Uncommon Even-Mark gear, and for Rare and Very Rare gear of all kinds, but dors Common Even-Mk gear really need a Dilithium (grind or) pay gate? They're not exactly over-powered or status symbols.. At least give us access to Common gear of all Mks.
Lt. Commander
# 104
11-08-2011, 10:03 PM
I'm wondering if this patrol thing will include anything for the KDF or if it is just something for the federation side. Anyways it would be nice to test it out hopefully its before my sub runs out or else I'll just wait until it goes F2P. I cannot justify paying cryptic for making new content paying a sub and getting nothing but making new characters in return. Odds are I probally may not play again even after it goes F2P unless they start going in a direction where they are using feedback from other than the fanboi's.
Lt. Commander
# 105 Old issue fixes
11-08-2011, 10:23 PM
So old issues are getting fixed? Does this include the Dynamic Lighting problem that many people, including me, have where the game crashes when DL is enabled?
I've checked my computer software and drivers and the problem isn't there from what I can find. It never records an error and it always says "Cryptic App Error" instead of "Driver Error" (or similar).

And I love the patrol updates. I've liked the idea but never really liked the structure.

Also: when is exploration re-vamp coming? Is that the teaser announcement!?
Lt. Commander
# 106
11-08-2011, 10:35 PM
The crafting changes and patrol changes look great on paper. We'll see how they end up once released.
Lt. Commander
# 107 Thanks for a cool game
11-08-2011, 10:49 PM
It's both the players and the devs that make this game great -- the combination.

Just wanted to express that. Cheers.
Lt. Commander
# 108
11-08-2011, 11:20 PM
While the dilithium cost will still hurt crafting... making it so that Fleetcrafters and the Main Crafting Char on an Account aren't completely out of a job... ok that seems to be an improvement.

Also having these *Crafting blocks* (huh? no fancy Trek name?) may open up the option to get these, in appropriate amounts, in other ways, just to give a better percentage on crafting.
Maybe through the DOff System?

..oh and obvious tease is obvious
Borg Ground Invasion/Red Alerts here we come!

@ Bug fixing... about time something happens on that front !!! i hope Q&A did it's job and forwarded everything we reported over the last few months into your bug tracking system... (which we were allowed a little peak at in STOked )

@ Patrols ....as long as there is a little Q (for quest) on the minimap i am fine with pulling those out of the Contacts Menu.
I also hope while doing so you fix the anomalies stuck underground... there are 3 or so that i run into on every alt just because i follow my Tricorder on the *scan clickie* missions.
Lt. Commander
# 109
11-08-2011, 11:22 PM
crafting could still use some work, ie taking dilithium completely out of it. but at least they show they are listening. i would say well done cryptic, but alas, its not well done. just done. keep at it though, your bound to get something right soon
Lt. Commander
# 110
11-08-2011, 11:29 PM
Will there be also some KDF Patrols?

The Crafting compromise is still far from where I'd want it to be, but at least fleet crafters can still work.

I hope you realize that people can't play horrendous sums of Dilithium to level up their Crafting, though, and retain a way to improve your crafting skill without spending a lot of Dilithium.