Lt. Commander
* Balance by sector does not seem logical; the more "core" sectors, which should have various Fed & Neutral facilities in quantity, seem to have mostly ship intercepts; while the exploration sectors, where fixed installations should be rare but lone ships easier to waylay, seem to have mostly installation and minefield raids.

* Even given the above, I'd like to see both a better mix in most sectors, and somewhat more choice; instead of having 3/0, more like 2/1 or 3/1.

* Odds are still seriously broken. Examples:
Raid on Mining Colony: 5 officers, 6 hours. Critical Success is aided only by Aggressive; all 5 are Aggressive, for a result of 9%, not bad although not outstanding. Success is aided only by being either from Security or Tactical; all 5 are one or the other, and Green to boot; success rate is only 57%. Combined, this means that 5 of the *best possible stats* officers of Green quality, you've got less than a 2/3 chance of success. With a High Casualty Risk, this is pretty dangerous; under the old system, I'm not sure I'd even take this. Failure is 31% and Critical Failure is a dangerous 3%.

Remember, this assigns the mathematically best possible mix of traits in all slots, with all DOFFs of Green quality. I will point out that after heavy play of the DOFF system for about 2 and a half weeks on this character, including aggressive recruiting, my Tactical roster is 5 Green, 9 White; and my Security roster is 1 Blue (not Aggressive, alas), 2 Green, 4 White. Thus I'm only able to mount one single force of this sort at a time with these odds; in the older system, I could usually mount two such raids with better odds each.

A worse example: Disable (Foo) Freighter: 3 officers, 2 hours. This starts with a 28% Failure and a whopping 28% Critical Failure chance; assigning the best officers I have to it (2 Green, 1 White, with 4 positive and no negative traits between them), takes it to a still horrific 6% / 47% / 23% / 23%. What should have been a fairly routine ship stop has turned into a horrific deathtrap; there's no way those sorts of odds are sustainable. You have to remember that these odds are faced every day (perhaps several times a day with active play), and effectively accumulate. Doing this mission just once a day for two weeks would lead to a 98% fatality rate! When your DOFFs would jump at the chance to be on a B-17 crew during the worst days of WWII since their odds of surviving 25 missions would be enormously higher, something has gone *badly* wrong.

* Possibly quick suggestion which might help noticeably... shouldn't several of these sorts of things have actual Security Officers (not just the large category, the specialty) significantly increase success and decrease failure chance? Specifically trained Klingon marines (or internal security...) ought to be dramatically better at this sort of thing than a Projectile Weapons Officer whose primary training as basically torpedo crew has far less to do with fighting a boarding action. This would also give some ability for players who specifically want to do marauding to pick up DOFFs that are better at it.

EDIT: Security Officer should provide a moderate increase; Assault Squad Officer should produce a far more significant one.

There are various more subtle issues and problems, but it's already later than I intended to stay up.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-09-2011, 12:48 AM
We're looking into many of the issues you have raised. One of the by-products of the new math is that the old outcome weights for some non-standard weightings (such as are common with Marauding) are resulting in some aberrant behavior.

We have some ideas on how to moderate this to more reasonable values; in the meantime, we definitely appreciate the info, especially on specific assignments where there appear to be particularly egregious issues or concerns.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-09-2011, 08:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heretic
We're looking into many of the issues you have raised. One of the by-products of the new math is that the old outcome weights for some non-standard weightings (such as are common with Marauding) are resulting in some aberrant behavior.

We have some ideas on how to moderate this to more reasonable values; in the meantime, we definitely appreciate the info, especially on specific assignments where there appear to be particularly egregious issues or concerns.
Just to let you know I posted about the failure rate being way to high. If putting all of the correct DOFF's on a mission is still giving me a 1 in 4 chance of failing that is too high. The best failure rate I've had with the new patch was 19%, That's failing 1 in 5 times ..... Too Risky.....

Heretic -- You have been doing a great job on this system and keeping us very informed. I just want to take the time to personally thanks you for all your hard work. This DOFF system is great and right now the thing that keeps me coming back to Tribble day in and day out ..... I will continue to test this system and help in finding bugs so this will be lots of fun when it goes to Holodeck.... If you ever need me to explain myself netter just comtact me and I'll try to explain the bugs I've found the best that I can ....

THANKS for the great work!!!!