Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 101
11-12-2011, 07:49 PM
I could not recommend this game or any other Cryptic game. I am done defending them. I went lifetime during OB despite the bugs and lack of content. I've participated on Tribble, given feed back and filled out bug reports time and time again. Yet nothing changes. There going to push F2P stuff live Dec 1 and there are still many issues. I won't even start on dilithium. They don't care about us, they want us gone because they think they can make more money off Silvers.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 102
11-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
It's a circular argument if they would have made a better game and managed it better. Atari would never have had to sell them because the game would have been successful. The problems with STO are their fault, not everyone else's.
Highly debatable. Hiring freeze is a problem with Atari and that is partially responsible for the content drought. The problem is that we do not see what the main company has instructed Cryptic to do. You can't go against the boss if you want to keep your job. So some of the problems we have seen could be due to directives passed by PW and Atari.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 103
11-12-2011, 11:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Highly debatable. Hiring freeze is a problem with Atari and that is partially responsible for the content drought. The problem is that we do not see what the main company has instructed Cryptic to do. You can't go against the boss if you want to keep your job. So some of the problems we have seen could be due to directives passed by PW and Atari.
There was no hiring freeze when large numbers walked away when their 30 free days were up, after launch. There was no hiring freeze when large numbers left after the 45 patch. There was no hiring freeze when more left after season two. They continued to leave up until now.

Cryptic is the one running this game and making most of the bad decisions. You can blame everyone else if you want too.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 104
11-12-2011, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
There was no hiring freeze when large numbers walked away when their 30 free days were up, after launch. There was no hiring freeze when large numbers left after the 45 patch. There was no hiring freeze when more left after season two. They continued to leave up until now.

Cryptic is the one running this game and making most of the bad decisions. You can blame everyone else if you want too.
Different problem. Problem with launch was releasing the game before it was ready. PVP and Klingon faction added as a secondary issue rather than giving the effort it deserves. That partially explains those two problems, but not hiring dedicated people for improving just PvP and Klingon faction is part of the reason why people kept on leaving. Atari was responsible for setting the launch date and giving money for hiring. If PW is trying to fix those problems by hiring more people, then there should be some PvP and Klingon faction fixes soon. After all, hiring people doesn't solve everything immediately. Although, I suspect it will be a more gradual fix than a major fix.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 105
11-12-2011, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
Different problem. Problem with launch was releasing the game before it was ready. PVP and Klingon faction added as a secondary issue rather than giving the effort it deserves. That partially explains those two problems, but not hiring dedicated people for improving just PvP and Klingon faction is part of the reason why people kept on leaving. Atari was responsible for setting the launch date and giving money for hiring. If PW is trying to fix those problems by hiring more people, then there should be some PvP and Klingon faction fixes soon. After all, hiring people doesn't solve everything immediately. Although, I suspect it will be a more gradual fix than a major fix.
Cryptic are the ones who agreed to the release date. Cryptic put the Klingons in with no content and called them PVP faction. Cryptic chose to ignore PVP.

Cryptic agreed to the launch date of STO before Atari bought them. As it says in this article http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/09/at...yptic-studios/

So you can believe Cryptic's blameless and it's everyone else's fault if you want.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 106
11-12-2011, 11:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
Cryptic are the ones who agreed to the release date. Cryptic put the Klingons in with no content and called them PVP faction. Cryptic chose to ignore PVP.

Cryptic agreed to the launch date of STO before Atari bought them. As it says in this article http://www.joystiq.com/2008/12/09/at...yptic-studios/

So you can believe Cryptic's blameless and it's everyone else's fault if you want.
Just says 2010. 6 more months could have made STO a much better game and it would still be in 2010. Not leaving Cryptic blameless, just that not all of the problems are purely Cryptic's fault.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 107
11-13-2011, 12:37 AM
KDF was never inteneded as PVP faction, promised was 2 full factions, but Cryptic never delivered.
So people keept on moving off theg ame with every new season and failed or wrong promises.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 108
11-13-2011, 12:40 AM
I would like to invite some friends to the game. But currently I fear I am just blinded by the IP and by the money I already invested. So I will wait on any recommendations on after the f2p launch and see how the game will be developing. And I will warn anyone that Cryptic will probably find a way to make them pay in the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 109
11-13-2011, 03:39 AM
From what I understand, the Klingon faction was an afterthought. Starfleet needed someone to fight so the Klingon faction was added. Think the Klingon Faction was only added a month or two before the game launched.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 110
11-13-2011, 04:43 AM
Oh wow, it's one of those threads again...

*yawn*

Would I recommend this game? Yes, I would. Why? Because dare I say it - it's fun, despite it's flaws. It may not necessarily be one of the best MMOs out there, but I do have fun playing it and the overall concept for me is like a dream trek game - a mixture of Starfleet Command, RPG and TPS in addition to multiplayer and social elements. Even with its bugs, I'm still having fun.

What I wouldn't recommend is going to the forums, because of this recent trend of blaming Cryptic for everything they do - regardless of what it is. It's just sad, seeing players trolling everywhere just because they don't like some ideas the game's developing. And even though I agree some of them are debatable, I'm still far from expressing my anger everywhere on every occasion just because of this.

If not forums rules and regulations I would openly say what I think of some of you. Because as it is now, it's either hypocrisy, or just trolling for the sake of trolling. Like some crybabies demanding their mom buy them candies or else they'll ruin the shop.

Many of you forget that Cryptic is a game company, and not a charity. They need to make money in some way and they need to present themselves in a positive light regardless of facts. This is just how the world works, so don't act surprised because a PR said something strange during the interview. You'll see similar cases everywhere else. Because, seriously, would you rather read "oh, the feedback players gave is great", as in one of the recent dev blogs, or "oh, the players are a bunch of whiners who aren't happy about anything we do, but still, please give us at least some feedback instead of trolling!"?

Also, some of you are way too passionate. If Cryptic is silent about an issue, you immediately accuse them of not listening or ignoring you. But if, instead, they say what their plans are, even long term ones, you hold them to their word like it was something that should be released on a daily basis, and act disappointed if it takes too long to develop, if ever (because DStahl has said way too much than he should...).

What is more, STO and Cryptic were in this unfortunate situation where many issues were forced on them. Either by Atari, or later with the transition to other company. No wonder there was a content draught, among other things.

Sure, STO isn't without it's problems, especially when it comes to content, but to be entirely honest what I saw after Season 4 launch and what I'm seeing right now on Tribble makes me optimistic. This isn't something that is developed over the course of a week. It takes time, and we're seeing the effects. And I for one am eager to see the content from Tribble go live. I see this as a new content, even if it still lacks real missions.

As such, arguments presented by the OP and many others here are not valid for the question asked. You separate the game itself and Cryptic's recent actions, which in most cases are not really related. Sure, there may be bugs, even long stanting ones, or PvP issues, but it has nothing to do with PR, publisher issues or content development time.
You even move as far as blaming Cryptic for public test server. It's not obligatory, and yet you still say something like "pay-to-test". Why? Because you're so addicted to the game you don't have the will to cancel your subscription for some time? You say there's content draught - if so, then don't play. This is what I did. When I don't feel like it, I just don't, and go back to the game after some time. Normally I wouldn't even expect new content to be released too frequently. And yet there are people who subscribe supposedly for the sole purpose of whining.
Lifetimers are a different story, but even in their case I wouldn't say they should have more rights than others. They knew what they're paying for and they should be aware of potential consequences. Still, the fact they've paid doesn't give them right to demand (a pony and a porsche).

So, going back to the question - would I recommend STO to a new player? Sure, now more than ever. Keep in mind that not all players are as passionate as you are - especially you lifetimers. Some of them just want to have fun, and don't care about what's coming when and where. There are people who won't care about recent content draught, or the fact that some things have been changed for the F2P transition. And will they have fun? I think many of them will, if they like this type of games. Now that STO is under PerfectWorld, I believe many good things will come in the near future. We'll just have to wait and see. For now, providing a bit of a feedback on Tribble forums wouldn't hurt. Because despite what many of you think and say - Cryptic does listen, and they've proven it. And even if some things (sadly) won't change, such as VA or respec tokens, others may - you just have to post something more constructive than "I quit" thread for them to see the issue.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:37 AM.