Lt. Commander
# 111
11-13-2011, 05:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I guess there's a reason why this label exists:
"Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly." On a child sized Superman costume.
Just because you see a combat scene from the Bridge perspective doesn't mean that's actual gameplay and gamers know gameplay videos and cut-scenes aren't one and the same.
Just in case anyone forgets.....

We used to be able to invite klinks to our bridge and attack them........
Lt. Commander
# 112
11-13-2011, 05:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
From what I understand, the Klingon faction was an afterthought. Starfleet needed someone to fight so the Klingon faction was added. Think the Klingon Faction was only added a month or two before the game launched.
So, the press releases for nearly two years, which outlined the timeline which we would be playing.....didn't give you any idea of what cryptic was doing?

They specifically told us that the klingon faction was part of the game, we knew about it because they told us. No less than 18 months before launch.
Lt. Commander
# 113
11-13-2011, 05:23 AM
I can recommend the game, but yeah, I'd recommend it after F2P launch.

The main reason is based on my experience with CO. Not long after this content drought started, I started posting (look it up if you don't believe me) that the reason for the drought and (at that time) lack of Dev interaction was because the game was going F2P. If you go find the threads, you'll find just about everybody (except Nagus, who at the time was hoping for F2P) arguing that I didn't know what I was talking about, but I pointed out that there was a similar drought/silence before CO went F2P.

Then for awhile, CO's F2P was in Beta, and it was the only server people were playing on. It go so bad that almost no one posted in the regular forum for months, everybody was chatting in the F2P Beta Forum.

Since CO went F2P, however, it went from a ghost town with the only posts online being about how Cryptic had dropped the ball since launch and broken all their promises to a much more polished game with a busy content release schedule and a reasonably contented player base.

So far at least, the pattern on STO has been the same, other than starting out with a much larger playerbase, so there's nothing yet, even with all the complaints, to indicate that the results, after F2P launch, will be any different than they were at CO.
Lt. Commander
# 114
11-13-2011, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Can you honestly recommend STO?
Yes , I can ... , but not without a warning or two .
The second half of this linked post should make it clear how I feel about STO at the moment , however it also explains the Long Road that it took to get me to be so negative in general .

A few months ago I also proposed / volunteered to host a panel on STO at a local sci-fi convention -- a panel I was very close to canceling when the12-13 day long Excelsior Theft / Dev silence was in effect .
In the end only my sense of obligation got me through that panel , but let me assure you that I had a few choice statements to balance out the positive things i had to say about STO .

I'm not a "gamer" .
I'm a Star Trek fan , and STO was my first positive Star Trek gaming experience .
I honestly believe , that more Trek fans should share this gaming experience , not because the game itself is "outstanding" , but because it's not another poorly written Trek book , it's not another episode/movie we've seen 10 times , it's something new -- yet it's connected to something old-but-good (i.e. not the J.J. universe) .

I also know a lot of Trekkies that are not gamers , and they too do not follow the equation :
"nerd = Trek + Games" , but instead they are of the "nerd= Trek + books" variety (like myself).
And this is STO's No.1 problem , and has been from the beginning (IMHO) .
"Gamers" have / will come , check STO out and move on .
Trekkies might get truly hooked and stay longer ... , and this is why I'd recommend it .
I want more Trekkies like myself (who are not gamers) to experience the world of STO .
And this (unlike Cryptic's behavior) is nothing to apologize for .
Lt. Commander
# 115
11-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Once the game is free-to-play, sure. I would not recommend that anyone spend money to play the game in its current form.
Lt. Commander
# 116
11-13-2011, 07:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by starkaos View Post
From what I understand, the Klingon faction was an afterthought. Starfleet needed someone to fight so the Klingon faction was added. Think the Klingon Faction was only added a month or two before the game launched.
August 10th, 2008 - At Gen Con Jack Emmert said: "Starfleet and Klingon. Yeah. So two factions, full PvE content."

Yup, an afterthought.
Lt. Commander
# 117
11-13-2011, 08:04 AM
I have few problems recommending the game once it hits F2P. Prior I've had some reservations recommending it as a subscription. But when it's free to play, how can you not recommend it? For a free game that you can play as much or as little as you want, STO is pretty sweet.
Lt. Commander
# 118
11-13-2011, 09:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMiracle View Post
So far at least, the pattern on STO has been the same, other than starting out with a much larger playerbase, so there's nothing yet, even with all the complaints, to indicate that the results, after F2P launch, will be any different than they were at CO.
Except for the fact that A) STO is using a completely different F2P model than CO and, B) they're screwing their current playerbase to do it. I think the only similarities between CO and STO post-F2P is that they will both called F2P. It would be nice if both shared the same success, but I'm pretty confident that the grind-or-pay route STO is going precludes that. We shall see.

Z
Lt. Commander
# 119
11-13-2011, 09:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by zordar View Post
Except for the fact that A) STO is using a completely different F2P model than CO and, B) they're screwing their current playerbase to do it. I think the only similarities between CO and STO post-F2P is that they will both called F2P. It would be nice if both shared the same success, but I'm pretty confident that the grind-or-pay route STO is going precludes that. We shall see.

Z
It's still more favorable for subbers than DC Universe Online used, which is basically, subbers get $50 worth of extra storage and slots (which they lose if they stop subbing) and a $12 adventure pack expansion every six months for free as long as they sub.

I think this might just be one of many shifts in the industry towards a F2P model that emphasizes the "free" and there are already several games that made the transition with a stipend or any huge benefits for subbers or lifers.

Somewhat reluctantly, I have to acknowledge that this model is probably middle of the road in terms of F2P transitions, with many that gave subbers and lifers almost nothing.

I think everybody is looking at subs in a F2P game backwards. That no company who considers it a sub is doing it right, whether they value it high or low. It should become a $15 microtransaction with a 30 day duration, a service people would pay for periodically, not something that people feel locked into once they start.
Lt. Commander
# 120
11-13-2011, 09:28 AM
I agree with you on all the statements mvs.

Add to the list the numberous bugs which have been here since I play (1 year now) and possibly and highly likely have been in the game since launcher and NEVER got fixed.

I ask myself the same question, where did I pay for all these months? half a year? Hell when i started playing the only real new content I got was the Reman Series. Sure we get fluffy ships but lets be honest, i paid for 95% of them in the Cstore. Nothing subscription.

Do I pay for the newcomers which hit the game? I feel like I DO pay for those peope, while we (the people who have been playing for a long time) are being pushed away from the game. Useless changes, dumb changes, what not.

I hope SWTOR will give me better experience with the game and the choices they will make in the SWTOR future.