Lt. Commander
# 31
11-09-2011, 12:01 PM
I think many of you out there have missed the point of the game and yes Cryptic could have handled the introduction of newer content better. This initially was clearly a game that targeted the fans of Star Trek and of sci-fi games and now has probably increased the fan base a little and the interest in such. I for one am a fan of both but more a fan of Star Trek as it was a very well thought out depiction of one persons view of the future. The game can be a lot of fun for someone new to the game but once you've played all the missions, there is a drought of sorts for new content. Although did no one see the writing on the wall when the Foundry was introduced. The reason for the Foundry was obviously to keep players busy while they worked on content, "at a snails pace that is". I posted a thread stating as such not long after the foundry was released. I for one am going to stay optimistic for the future of STO as this is really the only online game I really like.
Oh for the point that everyone has missed it's a game developed to make money. How else do you expect them to employ developers, artists and so much more to keep the game running. As for CRYPTIC and PERFECT WORLD, so far the marriage has mixed reviews. Please don't wait till January before releasing any new content. You could at least introduce the borg ground invasion to cool down those needing content.

Live Long and Prosper
Lt. Commander
# 32
11-09-2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BW007
That is very sad to me. That is the kind of thing that hurts our faith in the game. If they want us to bring in new members, then they need to get into gear and put more game into the game.
Exactly. I want so desperately to vouch for this game again. I really do. I grew up on TNG, some of my best memories of my time with my father were either watching Trek, or going to movies or conventions. It was our guy thing when I was little.

I think Cryptic did a lot of things right by the Star Trek IP, a lot of the adventures in the game are really top quality stuff, from Kestrel's writing and lore, to Adam's ship designs, to Al's actual game mechanics. They did do good work. My problem is that they've stopped. They lied to us about the Free to Play for months, offering sob stories about how Atari was bleeding them dry. No cups, anyone?

We as a player base have given this company a lot of wiggle room, and it's cost them dearly. I pray they get their act together, but until I see definitive proof that Star Trek Online is improving.... I will not vouch for it. I will not attach my name only to have my word proven wrong. Not a second time.
Lt. Commander
# 33
11-09-2011, 12:07 PM
-Shrugs- I am still having fun with the game.

I do sympathize with those who do not and do understand their point of view. However I still have fun with the dailies and rp and trying out new ships so I am one who would recommend it and then let the new player or players decide for themselves.

I am certainly not on a crusade to recruit nor am I on one to ban the game from anyone.
Lt. Commander
# 34
11-09-2011, 12:08 PM
I could... but I will not until I feel that it is worth recommending and not just PWI in Spaaaaaaaace.
Lt. Commander
# 35
11-09-2011, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
Yeah...a new player wouldnt have any content issues until they hit max level, which would probably be after F2P and we'll probably be seeing the next FE series around that time.

But I would recommend that people wait until after F2P. That way they dont have to pay the monthly sub at all and if they dont enjoy the game then its no loss for them.

The experience for existing subscribers has definitely sucked these past months, theres no denying that. However I am very interested in hearing how people who start at F2P feel about what they are getting for free.
I agree with this !
Lt. Commander
# 36
11-09-2011, 12:15 PM
I tell people the good,the bad and the outright ugly and let them decide for themselves.If they want to try it,I do recommend waiting for F2P.......but most people walk away the moment I tell them the ugly part.Seems most people don't care for PWE's pay-to-win games.
Lt. Commander
# 37
11-09-2011, 12:23 PM
I am extremely curious about one thing once the game hits F2P in January. On their F2P site (http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p) it says the following.

1) Episodic Gameplay Experience new weekly episodes that feature story-based gameplay and put your captain's ability to command to the ultimate test.

My only problem with this is... is it actually going to be happen? Are there going to be consistent weekly episodes? They were advertised as such when we first got them a long time ago and we know how that ended up going.. systems got broken (not because of the FE) and needed to be fixed.. so we got 3 series and after that everything pretty much stopped. Can they even make a claim like they are doing without even knowing if they are going to be able to deliver? They are pretty much saying that once the game goes F2P, EVERY WEEK we are going to get a new episode.. not 3 episodes.. and then 2 months off... EVERY WEEK. Can they deliver this considering their track record thus far?

Pretty much - at this point - the only thing that would warrant me coming back regularly are the Featured Episodes.. I want to see the story progress.

And I would just like to say... I really, REALLY dislike the only STF I have been able to do thus far.. but not able to complete... Infected.. I've tried doing it a few times.. and in every group I'm in we couldn't beat the end boss. I've never been more frustrated in a dungeon thing in all my life and I'm a veteran MMO player.

I love Star Trek... but the devs have failed to convince me on various fronts that they love Star Trek enough (and not for the reasons listed above). As a result, I wouldn't recommend this game to anyone.
Lt. Commander
# 38
11-09-2011, 12:24 PM
No, I value my word much more that to think about it.
They've misled, and in some cases potentially outright LIED to us.
They've made clear moves to monetize every aspect of the game that they can with no realistic way to get anything outside of the store or some indirect money change.
They've changed things only based on MASSIVE OUTRAGE by the player base. (ship tokens, crafting change, all done because of the player base letting them have it)
They've introduced pay to win options into the C store when they said they never would.
They've bugged the game up more than fixed it.
They've blown time lines more than once and rarely if ever do anything to make the player base know they value us.

I have more respect for myself, and my friends than to put my word on this game. I will say this much, the changes indicate they are listening at least, so its a minor and tiny step in the right direction but they have a long long way to go before I will ever recommend this game.
I've said it before I'll say it again.
ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS
Lt. Commander
# 39
11-09-2011, 12:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJappic View Post
I am extremely curious about one thing once the game hits F2P in January. On their F2P site (http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p) it says the following.

1) Episodic Gameplay Experience new weekly episodes that feature story-based gameplay and put your captain's ability to command to the ultimate test.

My only problem with this is... is it actually going to be happen? Are there going to be consistent weekly episodes?

I love Star Trek... but I'm not sure that the devs love Star Trek enough for me to actually recommend this game to anyone.
Based on past actions, No. not even remotely close. Things can change but based on the actions of the past I highly doubt it.
Lt. Commander
# 40
11-09-2011, 12:26 PM
I made my account yesterday after a long time of doubts about STO. People should make their decision based on in-game experience so I will give it a fair try now (at a quite interesting stage the game will go through, I believe). I just hope the community will not divide so much that the whole point of enjoying a virtual Star Trek together will get lost.