Lt. Commander
# 41
11-09-2011, 11:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPJappic View Post
I am extremely curious about one thing once the game hits F2P in January. On their F2P site (http://www.startrekonline.com/f2p) it says the following.

1) Episodic Gameplay Ė Experience new weekly episodes that feature story-based gameplay and put your captain's ability to command to the ultimate test.

My only problem with this is... is it actually going to be happen?
The FEs were supposed to be a weekly feature since the Devidian series, last . That's when the 'weekly' bit was added. Then they stalled and told us the next two FEs (Cloaked intentions and whatever comes next) were taking longer than expected. They told us that the FE would last approximately 4 to 6 weeks per story arch.

The Devidians story ended November 13, 2010, with Cloaked Intentions starting March 5, 2011. We were promised this next series by the end of October... and here it is going on the middle of November. Now we have to wait until F2P which is mid January. But, yes, at some point, they'll make these weekly. Honest.

And don't ask me for quotes, because I don't wanna get banned. I have enough points as it is
Lt. Commander
# 42
11-09-2011, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinPike
I made my account yesterday after a long time of doubts about STO. People should make their decision based on in-game experience so I will give it a fair try now (at a quite interesting stage the game will go through, I believe). I just hope the community will not divide so much that the whole point of enjoying a virtual Star Trek together will get lost.
That used to exist.

During headstart / launch everyone was helping each other out, there was no to virtually no flames, and it literally felt like Star Trek....then as time passed on things started to not seem as bright, many left to never come back, and flamming / dividing became a norm. The recent shape the community is in will most likely be perminant unless those who have the courage to say 'no' to Cryptic get banned.

I wish you were there at the beginning...though then you would have put up with the disgusting treatment that we've have to deal with too.

Best of luck with you though and welcome.
Lt. Commander
# 43
11-09-2011, 12:06 PM
To be short, no I cannot recommend STO to a friend/s. I will how ever explain the history of STO and let them decide for them self.

Friends that got me in to closed / open beta and pre-ordering STO left long before me. Back then I was proud lifer. Today I regret throwing money for this *wana be* Star Trek game. Parts of this game are sub par compared to parts of older Star Trek games. It's sub par to some of the MMO's out there.

I'm not mad at spending my money, we all do bad investments now and then, and we live with them. I'm not mad at friends that got me to pre-order.

I'm mad at cryptic for taking advantage of my love for the IP. I'm mad at cryptic for treating this as a money grab / milk cow (at least that is how I see it).

Unlike some people that say, hey come back after F2P hits, which is totally valid, I will not. STO will see me when PvP gets some love, when bugs (that are here since start) get fixed! Not before. The longer it takes, the more distant *on a break* players get!
Lt. Commander
# 44
11-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mvs5191 View Post
Can you?

I can not. Why?
  1. We've gone 8 months without content, 10 months when F2P finally hits. Unacceptable.
  2. Everyone for Holodeck has been shelved in favor of F2P. Basically "lol Subscribers, thanks for paying to beta test for us!"
  3. Shoddy business practices. Cryptic has consistently misled us and baited us to say on a subscribers. "Don't worry, we'll have a steady flow of content post Season 4!" loljk. Sure, cite the PW sale all you want, but that's not an acceptable excuse.
  4. Straight up LIES when it comes to PvP. We've been told we're getting stuff "soon" for these past 2 years. Heck, basic PvP features were "in testing for deployment soon" back in July... of 2010. Have we seen anything of those? NOPE! (Chuck Testa)
  5. Misleading articles on other sites (IGN) based on "news" from the D'Angelo. Leveling in 1 day? Nothing in the C-Store that changes balance? No Pay-2-Win? Wrong.
  6. Not so stellar balance choices.
  7. Bugs that have been in the game FOREVER. Example: 3 Aceton Field's stacked on you will, in fact, make your weapons HEAL your target.
  8. Well known exploits being in the game for months, despite having numerous tickets submitted and forum threads. And anytime someone wants to talk about it, it ends up with infractions/bans.
  9. Since March, we've paid for... what? Pay to win ships, utter fluff like Geklis, and the introduction of new bugs? Oh right, I forgot, sorry. An elaborate Beta test.
  10. Deadlines are missed pretty much every time. Anytime they put out a date, 2-4 weeks to it. If not more. If it's a PvP related, just ignore it entirely. It won't come true anyways.
I donít go out of my way to talk up STO anymore to my friends that ask me about it.

Iíve lost a lot of the optimism that I use to have when it came to STO.

I keep holding out Hope that better days are coming for the 1st and only MMO that Iíve ever played that I shelled out money for upfront in hopes to be playing and enjoying for a very long time.

$360.00 Buy in
100.00 Buying different editions of the game (Granted at discounts)
100.00 or so to the C-Store
At times I find myself regretting the investment that I made.

Most of the people that I know that gave STO a try not to long after it launched stopped playing before or right after their 30 day trial ended.

I could not in good conscious recommend STO to anyone at this time
Lt. Commander
# 45
11-09-2011, 12:20 PM
I also could not recommend Cryptic's STO at this time. Too many broken promises and missed dates. I do however recommend that ppl try it out after f2p.

Although I believe the New opener for the STO will make the game look about 10X better than it is-after ppl get into the game and discover its not like that I expect another dip in "Overall Enthusiasm"
Lt. Commander
# 46
11-09-2011, 12:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaCat
I also could not recommend Cryptic's STO at this time. Too many broken promises and missed dates. I do however recommend that ppl try it out after f2p.

Although I believe the New opener for the STO will make the game look about 10X better than it is-after ppl get into the game and discover its not like that I expect another dip in "Overall Enthusiasm"
I'm not really sure what about the new trailer is misleading. That's pretty much the game I'm playing. That's all in game engine footage.
Lt. Commander
# 47
11-09-2011, 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I'm not really sure what about the new trailer is misleading. That's pretty much the game I'm playing. That's all in game engine footage.
The ridiculous portrayal of space combat via bridge viewscreen?
Lt. Commander
# 48
11-09-2011, 12:33 PM
I've been wanting my friend to try STO, but tuly can't find a reason to recommend it to her, even when it's F2P, as I've a sad feeling she'd spend more time downloading, installing and patching it, than playing it.
Lt. Commander
# 49
11-09-2011, 12:38 PM
Tbh I never could, the people I know would laugh if I mentioned Star Trek...... not because of this game.... becase of the image Star Trek has... A geeky/nerd thing. :p
Lt. Commander
# 50
11-09-2011, 12:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarvinPike
I made my account yesterday after a long time of doubts about STO. People should make their decision based on in-game experience so I will give it a fair try now (at a quite interesting stage the game will go through, I believe). I just hope the community will not divide so much that the whole point of enjoying a virtual Star Trek together will get lost.
How things have changed in 12 months time......first it was Feds vs KDF,then PvE'ers vs PvPers......and now it's players vs Cryptic/PWE.