Lt. Commander
# 51
11-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I'm not really sure what about the new trailer is misleading. That's pretty much the game I'm playing. That's all in game engine footage.
Wow really? When did we get bridge combat?
Lt. Commander
# 52
11-09-2011, 12:48 PM
No. I want to, but I can't.

I've brought people into this game before, they're all gone now. My fleet, small though it was, has all but died now, my main isn't even in it now, it's just extra storage for me.

The kind of people I could bring to STO play games that already do the things they like so much better than STO that it is hard to get them excited about F2P, nevermind not being worth their money, the game isn't even worth their time as far as they are concerned.
Lt. Commander
# 53
11-09-2011, 01:28 PM
I think the biggest problem for STO is that it's only superficially like Star Trek, partially because it's an MMO.

People who love Trek want story and character. They want humor, romance, drama, moral choices, first contact, technobabble, and that optimistic vision of the future. Any of that come through in STO really?

I only play because I enjoy the space PvP, and there's barely any of that to enjoy. Why space PvP? Because it's the only challenging part of this game and the only part where I get surprised.

So no I really couldn't recommend STO. I still have hope that will change though.
Lt. Commander
# 54
11-09-2011, 01:50 PM
Yes i would reccommend this game to a new player once F2P hits , as for them ,it would be all shiney and new and the game is fun .

If they were to ask will i still be playing it once F2P goes live , i would have to say ........ as a gold member i really don't know.

I wouldn't go silver as i would loose way to much stuff
Lt. Commander
# 55
11-09-2011, 02:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I can definitely recommend STO, even more so from January 17th 2012 than ever before.

No other game I know features:
  • The Star Trek universe including space and planet-side combat and settings.

• Multiple Star Trek themed ships and gear items

• Multiple Star Trek themed adventures.

• Adventuring together with friends, or strangers.

• A tool that allows any player to create and share their Star Trek themed adventures!

• And after January 17th 2012, doing it all without a subscription fee!
Do we even have any other Star Trek game that has these features?
These points and more. I have and still recommend this game. The Customization Options are single handedly the best on the market for an MMO.

Most WoW Raiders that I have gotten to play STO love the fact there isn't much of an elitist attitude with the community (You needz item level of 400 to do this 348 heroic with us. GTFO NOOB!!) And not to mention, STFs don't take 3 four hour days to clear. You can do an STF in 40minutes to an Hour with a coordinated group, and the learning curve isn't as steep as it was when the Borg used to have those "recharge" Nodes >< Space Combat is the biggest draw. My friends love it! One of them even said "it reminds me of Freelancer and I Loved that game to death" And alot of the CS/BF/CoD Players find the ground "FPS" settings to be an easy transition into the game. It feels familiar but new enough to make it exciting and different every time.

The Dilithium System has it's Pros and Cons. I believe that if it's a time currency it should not be limited to just how many dailies I can do. I like the fact that we can trade CPoints and Dilithium together, I wish we had more of a direct way (player to player) of doing this so I could help out my friends/fleeties with my unused Points/Stipend. Auction Houses have always been a fun mini game for me "how much can I make an hour, how much can I sell"....I guess its like gambling for me lol! In WoW, everything has a gold cost. Repairs, Crafting, Training, etc so I dont see why people are upset with Dilithium being used everywhere as its a MMO norm to pay gold for everything.

Some of the changes are abit worrisum, but I do not believe they will hurt me enough where I will stop having fun. Death is part of the game, and even then, death is just another adventure. In the end, I believe the level of satisfaction of any game is all in the attitude of the player, and the people he/she keeps. Surround yourself with people that just want to have a good time, laughs, and fun and you will always be rewarded. I never have any expectations when I play a game, and the only goal I have is to have fun. It's why I joined The Black Watch and I'm sure all of us will be playing the game exactly as we are now after F2P.My goal is to have fun. If I'm not having fun, there's no reason for me to keep playing.
Lt. Commander
# 56
11-09-2011, 02:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by USSDelphin View Post
Wow really? When did we get bridge combat?
I guess there's a reason why this label exists:
"Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly." On a child sized Superman costume.
Just because you see a combat scene from the Bridge perspective doesn't mean that's actual gameplay and gamers know gameplay videos and cut-scenes aren't one and the same.
Lt. Commander
# 57
11-09-2011, 02:47 PM
I understand that you all want a recommendation, and I very much want to make it for you. We just need to get through these next couple of steps in order to get to the point where we can start delivering these things to you...
Lt. Commander
I've attempted to recommend STO in the past with fairly mediocre results (that being a rather generous assessment on my part), mostly to friends and acquaintances who were hard-core Trekkers.

Unfortunately, it happened during the buggiest periods of that miscarriage known as Season 4, and they walked away less than impressed and a little miffed that I'd been responsible for having helped Cryptic/Atari cheat them out of $15.

As the game currently stands, I cannot, and will not damage any good standing I may still have with these friends and acquaintances, or anyone else.

In the future, depending on how the F2P conversion goes, I will re-assess the game and go from there.

In another aside, having worked for numerous entertainment companies of note (some of which have gone through... intense "re-structuring") and doing my time as one of the business-suit wearing drones (though thankfully never as a bean-counter, those damn dirty scumbags), you start to develop a sense of the impending... demise? "Re-purposing?" Whatever-- of a company that's in a downward spin and re-arranging deck chairs on the Titanic in a mad, mindless frenzy before the sphincters loosen and the decay begins.

Not saying that there's the stink of death in the wind, but some of the maneuvers that Cryptic has made seem disturbingly familiar.
Lt. Commander
# 59
11-09-2011, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordOfPit View Post
I guess there's a reason why this label exists:
"Wearing of this garment does not enable you to fly." On a child sized Superman costume.
Just because you see a combat scene from the Bridge perspective doesn't mean that's actual gameplay and gamers know gameplay videos and cut-scenes aren't one and the same.
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I'm not really sure what about the new trailer is misleading. That's pretty much the game I'm playing. That's all in game engine footage.

Its mainly the last part I was commenting on of Leviathan99's post "That's all in game engine footage." When clearly thats not true...... The bridge combat is a cut-scene.... not in game engine footage.
Lt. Commander
# 60
11-09-2011, 02:54 PM
It seems you can not recommend Cryptic, not necessarily the game.