Lt. Commander
# 1 F2P Details Revealed at IGN!
11-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Head over to IGN to learn more about Star Trek Online's Free-to-Play launch, including dates, details and an exclusive trailer!

Link to the news article.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-08-2011, 06:28 PM
From the article:

"The developers found that players didn't really like paying for content"

I think you'll generally find players have no problem paying for good content. It's bad/lacking/no content they begrudge shelling out for.

"it's possible for players to hit the level cap and get the best gear inside of a single day"

That's a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it? Surely. I'm two years in (off and on) and happily plodding along at Lt. Cmdr.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-08-2011, 06:30 PM
yeah nobody buys expansion packs to games. You are correct Cryptic.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-08-2011, 06:33 PM
t's a shame that the video is better then alot of the content in the game right now. I hope that there's some Polish to the Game before F2P that adds more "Remastering" to Eposide missions to improve them.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-08-2011, 06:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
yeah nobody buys expansion packs to games. You are correct Cryptic.
Guild Wars:Factions, Guild Wars:Nightfall, Guild Wars:Eye Of The North..

World of Warcarp and it's bloatedness...

And STO.. is a lone parent.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-08-2011, 06:35 PM
Amazing work on the new intro cinematic!
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN Article
According to D'Angelo, it's possible for players to hit the level cap and get the best gear inside of a single day.
It's also possible to produce regular content updates.

What does the above quote and my first sentence have in common? Neither one happens often in STO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGN Article
The developer has a target price per Dilithium they hope the market hits, but they'll for the most part leave it up to the playerbase to establish prices.
Don't suppose you guys would mind telling us what that price is since you're just going to manipulate the system until it gets there? I mean, why pretend players set the exchange rate?

It's good to know how long I have until F2P hits, though. Now I can plan out all the things I need to do for my characters before F2P takes those options away.

EDIT: The new video is nice, though. Probably because Dilithium isn't in it. :p

Z
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varlo
From the article:

"The developers found that players didn't really like paying for content"

I think you'll generally find players have no problem paying for good content. It's bad/lacking/no content they begrudge shelling out for.

"it's possible for players to hit the level cap and get the best gear inside of a single day"

That's a bit of an exaggeration, isn't it? Surely. I'm two years in (off and on) and happily plodding along at Lt. Cmdr.
Its not an exaggeration LOL. If you look at players who got so bored but loved star trek so much they stayed around for a long time and kept buying character slots there are a lot of accounts out there that have 10-50 VA/LG's. Is only difference between the factions is that the federation side's content is more from the end of commander to VA. Where as the KDF sides is more of from Lt to Captain. It's all about how you grind each faction out you can casually play a few hours a day and be a VA or LG within a week thats what they are talking about and when you hit that rank you pretty much have enough data samples to craft out the best gear in the game do 3 STF's and you got nothing to do on that character after that.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-08-2011, 06:39 PM
good video, hope the jem hadar scene is from the upcoming DS9 FE series

I'm just worried that with a January date people are going to be too wrapped up in playing SWOTOR for it to be a strong relaunch.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-08-2011, 06:39 PM
Two things stuck out for me:

1)

Edit: [snip] I was corrected by another forum member and found I was incorrect in what Dstahl had previously said.

2) "The developers found that players didn't really like paying for content, so for Star Trek Online Cryptic is taking a very different approach."

With respect, this is an unfortuante conclusion to come to considering many developers successfuly sell DLC in addition to their games. The simple fact is, if it is worth the buy, they will buy the content. If it is not, they will not.

I propose that we bury the term "Content" here once and for all and replace it with a new term that might be more clear: STORYLINE MISSIONS
Players want missions. If it is worth it, they will buy even more missions, if not, they will not.