Lt. Commander
# 11
08-04-2009, 08:56 PM
will a lifetime sub. be available for STO only?
Lt. Commander
# 12
08-04-2009, 08:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veglargh View Post
Its because they are trying to get some development money back and they don't really care who enters STO beta.
That's fine if they don't care. It's going to leave a sour taste in the mouths of a lot of people here on the STO forums who have been supporting them for close to a year now. Anyway you slice, it it's not a great deal. STO perks should be given to those who make purchases related to STO or participate in events/contests/etc. related to STO. Mixing anything for STO with Champions Online is tacky.
Lt. Commander
# 13
08-04-2009, 09:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veglargh View Post
Its because they are trying to get some development money back and they don't really care who enters STO beta.
That's an excellent idea. So do it by pre-emptively selling lifetime subs to STO rather than force feed them a game some people don't want
Lt. Commander
# 14
08-04-2009, 09:03 PM
personally i would rather pay for a game that i would actually want to play rather than pay for a game that i have no interest in playing even if it means passing up on a lifetime subscription and what are they going to do if half the community takes them up on this offer they are going to be loosing a lot of money.
Lt. Commander
# 15
08-04-2009, 09:05 PM
We agree with the other posters here.

Though we plan on playing Champions Online on the side, we will definatly NOT be bribed into subscribing for a game which we will stop playing once ST:O comes out.

Ugh... eh, nah. If anything I would rather save my money for a lifetime subscription to Star Trek Online.

Exactly. We will GLADLY pay for a lifetime subscription to ST:O. Get people who actually want to play this game to be in beta.

Please, Cryptic. At least have the same deal for when ST:O or ST:O beta comes out.
Lt. Commander
# 16
08-04-2009, 09:06 PM
I like the idea and it shows Cryptic's commitment to a sound business model. Which intern points to a prosperous future for STO and players alike.

Nobody can honestly complain about this either. Granted some will cry foul, but if you really really want to be in closed beta, a sum of 59.99 for six months (plus the game if you actually want your moneys worth) is small potatoes. If you polled the community and excluded the Champions online subscription, how many would gladly fork over that same amount to be in at the ground level? I'd say plenty, primarily due to the fact that there is no other game like STO out there.

True Atari and Cryptic want a cash injection (that's what lifetime subs are always used for) but they just spent a ton getting it in the box and have bills to pay.

I doubt I will participate (only because College football season is bout to start) but I do appreciate the effort on Cryptic's behalf. Champions hasn't been my thing but I often said, if a dual membership option with some sort of discount appeared I'd jump on it. This is even better!
Lt. Commander
# 17
08-04-2009, 09:11 PM
Yeah, I've been lurking here since the beginning but this has ticked me off enough to post.

This is a very bad idea using ST fans eagerness to see STO as a way to prop up Champions. Bad move. And not a good sign for things to come.
Lt. Commander
# 18
08-04-2009, 09:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominar View Post
Yeah, I've been lurking here since the beginning but this has ticked me off enough to post.

This is a very bad idea using ST fans eagerness to see STO as a way to prop up Champions. Bad move. And not a good sign for things to come.
Aye. If this is the kind of respect they have for the fans then I see a fast downward slope in actual game content once it releases

we are customers. not tools
Lt. Commander
# 19
08-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magmafire2374 View Post
Will there be other ways to gain a beta key to Star Trek Online? I really have no interest in Champions Online. I wouldn't mind you know paying a subscription fee for Star Trek Online to get to help with the beta testing and a snazzy mirror universe costume set.

I really think though that making exclusive STO content and beta keys available through a subscription of a totally different and unrelated game like Champions Online is really very tacky on Cryptic's part.

I mean seriously, why not make a Lifetime Subscription ($199.99 USD) for Star Trek Online which comes with the Guaranteed Star Trek Online Closed Beta Access and STO Mirror Universe Costume Set? Why mix this great offer up with Champions Online at all? It just doesn't seem right.

I don't mean to offend anyone but yeah, just my two cents. I think it's tacky.
My thoughts exactly.
I would consider a liftime subscripton for just 150 €, even though I didn't get my hands on it for testing (because i'm faithful that cryptic will deliver. I enjoyed COX also), but not for Champions Online...
Lt. Commander
# 20 Nuts
08-04-2009, 09:14 PM
Well this sucks. what are thay thinking i will not buy that game just to get som lame perks, pay for a game that i dont wanne play i have been in this forum for years now longing and talking and stud by them. And this is a thanks no way do better cryptic
Closed Thread