Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
Hello All,

I am a loyal subscriber and player of the game Star Trek Online, I have red the dev's blog about the Borg invading defera, I think this makes absolutely no sense what so ever. First of all why would the Borg invade defera which is far from the territories they have already conquered? Second of all why do the Borg need this perserver technology? there ships and armies are already more than capable of adapting to all the major powers technology. Third of all I think the Borg would more than likely invade the romulans territory, I say this for several reasons 1. The romulan empire is in massive disarray making it extremely vulnerable to invasion. 2. If they can conquer the Romulans territory it makes a great springboard for conquering all the core worlds of the federation. I feel honestly that this invasion makes no tactical sense what so ever and I dont feel the Borg would carry out a large scale invasion of defera, they may have sent a small force to gather and assimilate the persevers technology also I would like to point out that the Deferi are a very weak race technologically and the Borg do not need a large force to conquer and assimlate the deferi. Lets also keep in mind the Borg are at war with pretty much all the major powers in the galaxy at least the alpha quadrant, why would the borg waste large troops ships and resources to occupy and conquer the deferi who pose no threat to them and there ships would not even stand up to the borg, heck there ships were barely able to stand up to the breen, how could they even have a chance against the borg, I have always been in favor of turning the borg into the real tactical threat they can be.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Because the Borg are not only interested in technology but biology and the preservers were masters of it. Its the same reason they invaded fluidic space. Also keep in mind that to get ANY new info the Borg have to assimilate an individual or race to get more intel, they would see spying as inefficient. Given all the crazy stuff we had to do to FIND the preserver archive, the Borg were in the same boat as the Breen. As for the Romulans, they might not have been as big of a threat as everyone feared, they might have had only 200 - 300 ships in their entire navy at their height. This would have easily explained all the sneaking around and backstabbing they had to do. Now with their homeworld gone and the empire fractured the Borg might not even bother with them. As for the reason for the assimilation of earth, aside from a plot point, is that there are hundreds of sentient species there, most of them ambassadors with important info on their respective worlds.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-10-2011, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo80 View Post
Because the Borg are not only interested in technology but biology and the preservers were masters of it. Its the same reason they invaded fluidic space. Also keep in mind that to get ANY new info the Borg have to assimilate an individual or race to get more intel, they would see spying as inefficient. Given all the crazy stuff we had to do to FIND the preserver archive, the Borg were in the same boat as the Breen. As for the Romulans, they might not have been as big of a threat as everyone feared, they might have had only 200 - 300 ships in their entire navy at their height. This would have easily explained all the sneaking around and backstabbing they had to do. Now with their homeworld gone and the empire fractured the Borg might not even bother with them. As for the reason for the assimilation of earth, aside from a plot point, is that there are hundreds of sentient species there, most of them ambassadors with important info on their respective worlds.
First of all the Borg would bother with them as assimlating the romulans give them a tactical springboard to invade the federations core worlds and from there they could move on to the klingon empire and did you read what i wrote, Even if the borg want the perserver technology they would send just a cube conquer the deferi and take the technology remember the borg are ruled by logic.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-10-2011, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo80 View Post
I think you are selling the Romulans short. If they were as worthless as you imply, why have they targeted Romulan sectors during their invasion? Try to answer that with an ingame story explination as oppose to "it is what the programers choose". ry to avoid metagaming, it ruins the suspension of belief, which is CRITICAL to good fiction story telling and Role Playing.

***Spoiler Alert****
A well known plot regarding "Khitomer Accords" and "The Return" is releaved below

Now that I have warned those who haven't gotten that far,

While Donatra was assimilated sometime during the Hobrus Supernova Incident, there are MORE Romulan drones in and around the Vega colony than can be reasonably explained when you assume that the Borg are no longer targeting Romulans.

Also, "The Return" has the player rescue a Romulan fleet under attack from the Borg. If the Borg didn't think the Romulans were worth assimilating, they likely would have simply destoryed the fleet and their contraband Borg technology rather than try to take it, the ships, and the crews.

As for continuing to target Earth, I believe the Borg Queen herself explained it to Seven of Nine. Something about assimilating a species that has so sucessfully resisted the Collective. Only Humanity and Species 8472 (Undine) have been able to shrug off direct attacks so well.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCell View Post
I think you are selling the Romulans short. If they were as worthless as you imply, why have they targeted Romulan sectors during their invasion? Try to answer that with an ingame story explination as oppose to "it is what the programers choose". ry to avoid metagaming, it ruins the suspension of belief, which is CRITICAL to good fiction story telling and Role Playing.

***Spoiler Alert****
A well known plot regarding "Khitomer Accords" and "The Return" is releaved below

Now that I have warned those who haven't gotten that far,

While Donatra was assimilated sometime during the Hobrus Supernova Incident, there are MORE Romulan drones in and around the Vega colony than can be reasonably explained when you assume that the Borg are no longer targeting Romulans.

Also, "The Return" has the player rescue a Romulan fleet under attack from the Borg. If the Borg didn't think the Romulans were worth assimilating, they likely would have simply destoryed the fleet and their contraband Borg technology rather than try to take it, the ships, and the crews.

As for continuing to target Earth, I believe the Borg Queen herself explained it to Seven of Nine. Something about assimilating a species that has so sucessfully resisted the Collective. Only Humanity and Species 8472 (Undine) have been able to shrug off direct attacks so well.
I never said the romulans are worthless, but the romulan empire is in disarray, and i dont think that they are in a position to really resist the borg being that there defensive capabilities have been so weakened and the borg are targeting the Federation right now, listen from a tactical viewpoint, the romulan empire or whats left of it is right above the sirius and regulus sectors in those sectors are key federation worlds. Now targeting the romulan empire makes alot of sense for the following reasons, 1. the romulan empire is in disarray. 2. The romulan forces are in complete disarray. 3. taking romulan space give the borg a good launching point to strike key federation worlds. 4. The borg are logical and are already at war with the federation. 5. all the resources spent occupying the world of defera would be better spent fighting the war with the other major powers (I.E. The Klingon Empire and the Federation). 6. Assimilating the romulans gives the borg additional resources and one less enemy to deal with. Tactically speaking that is why the Romulan empire makes such a great target, you can fight with all the strength and valor you want and I am sure the romulans would but they are in no position to stop even a medium sized borg fleet. You have to keep in mind the Borg are targeting the Federation and other powers right now they have invaded everywhere and also keep in mind in war you want to get rid of the biggest threat, resource expenditure is very important even more important in this case because the borg are fighting a war on multiple fronts, conquering the romulans gives them more resources and one less enemy to fight and the Romulans are in a very weak position military right now.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Because Klingons aren't allowed in Romulan Space
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-10-2011, 11:22 PM
I would have no issue to see some lame-*** Deferi drones running around. It'd be kinda funny, like a Gungan Jedi.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBlack10 View Post
I never said the romulans are worthless.
I never said you did, I was saying Mondo80 was selling the Romulans short. It seemed to me that he was putting them in the same boat as the Kazon(the Borg ignore them as being a waste of time and resources). I completely agreed with your previous post. You justification was spot on!
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-11-2011, 12:59 PM
Quote:
First of all why would the Borg invade defera which is far from the territories they have already conquered?
When you have Transwarp hubs the only place to far from your territory is a place you can't generate an exit aperture. Plus it's possible that the Borg may have learned the effect Breen Energy Dampeners can have and may wish to assimilate that technology as a preemptive measure, and to add it to their own arsenal. The Breen also use organic tech in their ships something else the Borg might be interested in. Invading Defera space before driving deeper into Breen territory allows them to gain resources (something they may need to sponsor a campaign in Breen Space since they're fighting the Undine, Starfleet, and the Klingons, not to mention what's going on in the Delta Quadrant), acquire more knowledge about the Breen and the space around it. Think of it as establishing a beachhead.

S
Quote:
Second of all why do the Borg need this perserver technology?
Good question I assume we'll find out over the course of the invasion or sometime later. the Preservers have something interesting history, and we do know they have repositories of knowledge in that sector of space. It might contain something that the Borg feel is worth having.

Quote:
there ships and armies are already more than capable of adapting to all the major powers technology.
Apparently not since they've been stalled in Gamma Orionis, and also have the Undine (Possibly the Iconians as well depending on whether or not they know of them and view them as a threat) to contend with as well.

Quote:
Third of all I think the Borg would more than likely invade the romulans territory, I say this for several reasons 1. The romulan empire is in massive disarray making it extremely vulnerable to invasion.
Maybe not as much as you think, since you have remnants of the Romulan Navy, a Klingon Invasion Force, and Starfleet operating in the area, not to mention the Remans trying to free themselves. It's also possible the Iconians are influencing them to target certain areas that would be away from the Romulans (Where the Iconians territory is that we know of). After all I doubt they want the Borg to gain access to their tech. It could also be that they view the Breen as a larger threat, and want to establish a foothold in the area in order to check them.

Quote:
If they can conquer the Romulans territory it makes a great springboard for conquering all the core worlds of the federation
How? The Federation had one of the most comprehensive defensive lines built up in that area. Also if memory serves the Borg had previously gone through the area bordering Romulan Space in their past invasion attempts so they might think that will the area where Starfleet is most expecting them to come from, hence have the most defenses against them. Also just because the Core Worlds appear to be semi-close to the Romulans in the game map, they probably aren't as close as you think in reality. STO's sector map ins't meant to be accurate, it's meant to be easy to navigate.

Quote:
I feel honestly that this invasion makes no tactical sense what so ever and I dont feel the Borg would carry out a large scale invasion of defera, they may have sent a small force to gather and assimilate the persevers technology also I would like to point out that the Deferi are a very weak race technologically and the Borg do not need a large force to conquer and assimlate the deferi.
Well like I said they might be using as a first step for conquering the Breen, also opening another front away from Gamma Orionis forces Starfleet and the KDF to split their forces between the two areas, weakening them on the whole. Also why do you think they are technologically a weak race? Just because they don't display combat prowess doesn't mean they don't have access to tech or knowledge the borg might want. Also the Borg might just want more bodies along with the resources in the area to prepare for an invasion of Breen Space.

Quote:
Lets also keep in mind the Borg are at war with pretty much all the major powers in the galaxy at least the alpha quadrant, why would the borg waste large troops ships and resources to occupy and conquer the deferi who pose no threat to them and there ships would not even stand up to the borg, heck there ships were barely able to stand up to the breen, how could they even have a chance against the borg, I have always been in favor of turning the borg into the real tactical threat they can be.
Because they are at war with most of the major powers. If they can force Starfleet and the KDF to split their fleets between multiple fronts they can't concentrate everything in Gamma Orionis which might allow the Borg to achieve a breakthrough there, or if the powers can't get enough forces to the Defera they might break out over there and star barreling toward the two powers from that direction. Also again they might be trying to establish a springboard for invading Breen territory. There are numerous reasons for them to invade the area, and you are right there are other places where they can invade that would make more sense as well, but the Devs placing it in Orellius Sector probably as a bit to do with CBS not letting them place the invasion somewhere more iconic, and it also means they can go nuts with the design of the city without offending anyone's established view of what another species homeworld might look like.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-11-2011, 01:03 PM
i think it makes perfect sense. the borg have been know to attack places that you would not expect. the attacks on earth dont seem to fit conventional thinking as they are so far away from the delta quadrant yet they do it anyway. they attacked gamma orianis and eta eridani if you follow the game storyline and they are out of the way, so they are not moving out in logical way taking territory to increase there own space like most species would. they move across the galaxy to take what they find interesting even if its tactical haphazard.

the preservers if you take TNG as accurate seeded all humanoid life in the galaxy. that means they were a powerful force at one point. the borg would be interested in that, as they are not just interested in weapons and tech but the perfection of life. the preservers would have originally created the borg as well back when they were oprganic. i think that would be of great interest to the borg.enough to try and assimilate defera even if the planet and species itself is not that interesting.

the only reason they stand a chance is because the feds and klingons have an interest in keeping them safe after the events of the breen series.