Go Back   Star Trek Online > Feedback > Federation Gameplay
Login

Lt. Commander
# 21
11-14-2011, 02:13 AM
if you think that is not logical than wait until you find out that the borg are in the wrong quadrant

sto used this map to plot their sectors :

http://newpageone.com/images/hugetrekmap.jpg

the borg are known to be in the delta quadrant.

if you check this map: http://www.sevenofnineb.org/borg/galaxymap.gif

you see that refering to sto, the borg are in the alpha quadrant.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-14-2011, 02:34 AM
First of all:
The Borg do not need the tactical advantadge of a weakened Romulan empire.
They do only need ONE Tactical advantagde, and that one they already have:
!THEY ARE BORG! RESISTENCE IS (and has always been) FUTILE!

Second:
The Borg do not conquer, they assimilate. The diffrent is small but significant: They do not care about expanding a certain terretory, they want to assimilate thechnology and biology they are intrestet in, no matter where it is.

Third:
The Borg do already know the Romulan technology.
But the preserver technology might contain things they do not know and help them on their way to perfection.
And as long as there is ANY knowledge that can be assimilatet the Borg will go for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiserhawk View Post
Because Klingons aren't allowed in Romulan Space
Actually, nowerdays, we can go there...
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-14-2011, 02:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBlack10 View Post
Hello All,

I am a loyal subscriber and player of the game Star Trek Online, I have red the dev's blog about the Borg invading defera, I think this makes absolutely no sense what so ever. First of all why would the Borg invade defera which is far from the territories they have already conquered? Second of all why do the Borg need this perserver technology? there ships and armies are already more than capable of adapting to all the major powers technology. Third of all I think the Borg would more than likely invade the romulans territory, I say this for several reasons 1. The romulan empire is in massive disarray making it extremely vulnerable to invasion. 2. If they can conquer the Romulans territory it makes a great springboard for conquering all the core worlds of the federation. I feel honestly that this invasion makes no tactical sense what so ever and I dont feel the Borg would carry out a large scale invasion of defera, they may have sent a small force to gather and assimilate the persevers technology also I would like to point out that the Deferi are a very weak race technologically and the Borg do not need a large force to conquer and assimlate the deferi. Lets also keep in mind the Borg are at war with pretty much all the major powers in the galaxy at least the alpha quadrant, why would the borg waste large troops ships and resources to occupy and conquer the deferi who pose no threat to them and there ships would not even stand up to the borg, heck there ships were barely able to stand up to the breen, how could they even have a chance against the borg, I have always been in favor of turning the borg into the real tactical threat they can be.
OMG this is not real life it is a game lets not get to carried away, i think that are far more inportant fixes they need to focus on than this
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-14-2011, 03:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gard3ner View Post
OMG this is not real life it is a game lets not get to carried away, i think that are far more inportant fixes they need to focus on than this
Ohh yeah... how can we even think of discussing Star Trek online relatet issues in the official Star Trek online forum!
Dare us!
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-14-2011, 05:40 AM
I am in the camp, that it doesn make sense.

The Borg are not interested in conquer or defeat of anyone...
They want to assimilate technology and knowledge.
They got more ruthless in smiting anyone who dares to oppose them instead of flat out ignoring them... guess Janeway dealt them a bloody nose to many.

They have always been know to go for the juiciest meal they can get (even if the bite was more then they could chew on), first the Federation, then the Undine and now the Preservers, who are gone, but their technology is still there on Defera and their knowledge contained in the genetic memory of the Deferi.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-14-2011, 04:26 PM
but my point among others is that one cube could easily in a matter of hours defeat and assimilate all the deferi and wouldnt the breen or the federation come along and destroy everything or do everything possible to keep the persever technology out of borg hands maybe they would even excute geenral order 24.
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-14-2011, 05:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralBlack10 View Post
but my point among others is that one cube could easily in a matter of hours defeat and assimilate all the deferi
If it weren't for the dozens of Federation and Klingon starships that visit the sector and system that have already repelled fleets of cubes in the recent Borg incursion I'd agree with you. Cubes aren't exactly a joke but they come close to it to any halfway decent MVAM pilot. Plus you're automatically assuming the Deferi are just going to lay down and die. They may not be tough but they aren't exactly push overs either, and if an invasion threatens their homeworld they're going to fight tooth and nail for it regardless. Also you'll note that despite repeated visits from the Borg species like the Brunali are able to hold out against them. While they may have never suffered a full scale invasion, you can't automatically assume the Borg are an unstoppable Juggernaut just because they have big ships that can do a lot of damage to groups that had no knowledge of their existence. Also you'll note that other space-faring races such as the Norcadians and the Wysanti also exist in a fashion despite clear contact with the Borg. Whether or not the Deferi would be assimilatied completely depends on the exact nature of the Borgs presence their. Are they really there for a full-scale invasion? Or is this just a move to throw the Federation off its balance and they don't intend on actually on holding it? Or is it just a fact-finding mission to find out more about the Presevers? Even if they take heavy losses any knowledge they can gain on them could give them an edge. Or as I've stated before this might be more related to a strike against the Breen if they can disrupt Federation and Klingon operations in the area enough by threatening the Deferi, it will leave the Breen...out in the cold. If both factions are already to busy spending time fighting the Borg in Gamma Orionis, stopping incursions into their territory, and have to save the Breen homewolrd in addition to all the other non-borg related problems on their plate it doesn't leave much left to help the Breen. It's also not out of the question to think the Iconians may have had a hand in trying to shift Borg attentions away from Romulan Space.

Quote:
maybe they would even excute geenral order 24.
I have doubts that Starfleet would resort to using a General Order cited twice in the original series, and never used (and possibly may not even exist given how it's counter-intuitive to just about everything the Federation does and that Captains have faster communication to higher authorities to make such decisions that could have a dramatic impact on the Federation) especially since there's no indication that the Presever tech in the hands of the Borg would give them "OMGUBERZ!!!" power. Also the Klingons have a say in this and they may want the Presever tech more than they want the Borg to get their hands on it. After all a true warrior meets his enemy in battle, he does not bomb a planet to rubble to avoid one!! Unless the damned thing has Tribbles! More than likely Starfleet will quarantine the area and attempt to hold the Borg off until as many Deferi as possible can be saved (assuming they can't retake the planet) and then they might consider bombing the Presever ruins, but I doubt Starfleet is going wipe an ally of the Federation off the face of the Galaxy. There's no Sean Connery here.
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-15-2011, 08:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCell View Post
Try to avoid metagaming, it ruins the suspension of belief, which is CRITICAL to good fiction story telling and Role Playing.
Suspension of DISbelief. Also, WILLING suspension of disbelief. I suspend my belief every day I play STO. I never suspend my DISbelief. Why would the klingons and federation go to war against each other again? That's ridiculous. That very fundamental tenant of STO is just damn wrong, there was too much intergration, they were staunch, staunch STAUNCH allies at the end of show/movie canon. To the point of having almost integrated navies during the dominion war. So yeah. There it is. I said it.
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-15-2011, 08:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes01101 View Post
Suspension of DISbelief. Also, WILLING suspension of disbelief. I suspend my belief every day I play STO. I never suspend my DISbelief. Why would the klingons and federation go to war against each other again? That's ridiculous. That very fundamental tenant of STO is just damn wrong, there was too much intergration, they were staunch, staunch STAUNCH allies at the end of show/movie canon. To the point of having almost integrated navies during the dominion war. So yeah. There it is. I said it.
I totally agree with this statement, the klingon and the federation should fight along side each other and become friends and I am happy to see that this happening, the borg should really invade another planet, the invasion of defera makes no sense, instead the borg could invade a key federation/klingon or maybe a cardassian world maybe bajor, just pick another target that makes sense.
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-15-2011, 09:54 AM
Just to answer some of your questions.

1). Why wouldn't they want to go out of the way for an assimilation attempt? I mean, from the Delta Quadrant the Borg invade Federation Space. To say that Defera's too out of the way... you can also claim that Earth is too out of the way as well from the scale of distances they're working with. Besides, with transwarp hubs it's less of an issue.

2). The Borg achieve perfection by any means. They mean it when they say that they will add their BIOLOGICAL and TECHNOLOGICAL distinctiveness to their own. Deferi are a unique species. And so are the Preservers, whom have established in the Breen Missions that they have superior genetics technology.

3). The Borg already raided Romulan settlements in TNG (later backed up by a episode of Voyager that featured a ex-drone Romulan). STF mission Khitomer Accord already establishes that attacks were made on the Romulans.

4). Look at it this way. For unique things, the Borg tend to do raids (such as the Romulans and the Deferi/Perserver tech). For threats that they've established are a danger to them (like the KDF and Starfleet), they focus more attention on them. You see it in the TV show as well. The Borg ignore people and ships a lot of the time until they are perceived as a threat. That's why in TNG and VOY you see the away teams walk around Borg drones while they do nothing. They aren't registered as a threat yet. The same can apply to the large scale. The Federation has registered as a major threat to the Borg, and are therefore getting the brunt of the Borg's assault. But the Romulans aren't perceived as a major threat, so the Borg ignore them.

Prioritizing is what they do.