As the title of the thread says this is for the honest discussion of whats actually good. To anyone that wants to discuss the faults there are numerous threads out there that will allow you to vent your problems with the build.
Let this place be for what is right, and the discussion of how it can be improved.
I am gonna go out on a limb and actually suggest something I resented before, the new space skill rebuild.
I spent three hours re-speccing one of my ported over toons yesterday. I really had to get harsh with the spec in order to get about what I wanted ship skill wise while I preserved some of my ground potential. Now the ship it's self is in transition from a cannons only/ trico to a beam and cannons blend with a quant for a follow up punch. I did not realize till after testing the build that it was teribad when it came to quantums, (tac console layout is one disruptor booster, two cannon boosters and a trico booster=fail LOL. Meh it's a work in progress). That said I felt just as powerful, if not a little bit more so, against the Borg Cubes in the RA I ran as I did before the complete ship and skill overhaul.
As the skill layout sits now, (set up with a raptor in mind), that tactical toon should be brutal in a BoP, (kinda goes without saying though, it is a BoP after all), effective to mean in a cruiser, and freaking pathetic in a SV. I think that is fair though. I will hand it to Geko and his team I think they got pretty close to their stated goal with the space portion of the skill system overhaul.
Where I would like to see improvement:
The exp range for a given tier used to sit over each tier's column. It would help me better plot how I am initially spending my EXP if they gave that little reference back. I feel like I am fumbling in the dark without it.
When you go for your new system respec everything of your old spec is wiped clean. Before when we would go for a respec you would see the shadow of your old build and could use that to guide you at least on the stuff you really wanted to keep. Would have been nice if that feature was kept for skills that were not completely changed. What would be nicer is for skills that were swapped or combined that they could give an average for the new analogue as a guide to help speed up the respec process and reduce the learning curve.
As a suggestion for the future I would like to use this space to re-suggest a request I made in another thread. I fear that two pools would limit the diversity of the potential builds that players could produce. I think that a three pool system would encourage the player base to exercise more creativity in their build while catering to those who prefer to STF, (generalization) or specialize in space or ground for PvP depending on how they prefer to spend the majority of their endgame time. What I think would be sweet is a space pool and a ground pool both adjusted to allow room for a final discretionary pool equal to about 9 points worth of T5 skills as a way of encouraging further long term player investment in their toons. In turn I feel this would encourage players to make more than one or two toon's within a given faction.
1) The Doff system
2) The new STFs and STF weekend - i know not everybody would agree but i hated how they were and love the new ones.
3) dilithium - a single currency thyat you can earn throughout the life of your character.
4) dilithium exchange - another controversial one but i love the idea of earning points for playing the game.
5) Events - especially the borg invasion. always nice to have events in game.
6) UI - especially around the mission journal is much improved
7) patrol missions becoming individual missions and auto levelling. Should make exploring and playing them more interesting.
8) new skill tree. I much prefer this one, even if numbers change slightly. it just makes more sense to me.
9) Graphical updates to DS9 and Earth spacedock - They look much nice now even though the changes are minor, they work.
10) Klingon Academy - another really beautiful zone.
11) New high end gear - More variety and they looks really great, especially the ground klingon one.
12) New ships - Some of them look really cool and cant wait to try them out, especially the 2.5 connie, the orion and nasuicaan ships.
13) Being able to buy foundry slots with dilithium - As a big foundry fan that is fantastic news for me.
14) 400 point stipend each month
15) Pretty much all high end ships getting an extra console and their powers removable for more customization.
16) Tier 3 nebula and excelsior ships being unlocked with the tier 5 for current customers - that benefits me as ive already unlocked the tier 5 ships, so my lower ships get upgraded.
17) Testing rewards for playing on tribble. Free stuff is always appreciated.
There is the possibility of the DS9 series coming as well, so im sure it i does that will be a huge win, especially looking at the new Bajor map they previewed on stoked.
A lot of good things named here. Exciting things! However if they don't get the ground skill revamp on here before F2P launches, you can consider that a fumble on the 1 yard line and the other team picking it up and running it the other way for a touchdown.