Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 21
11-12-2011, 10:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
Come on Nagus, we've done this all before. You don't believe that this version of an NGE includes "take away" development? How about the VA token that was given when it was actualy needed. Putting it back in, almost 2 years, down the road as a vet reward for a new subscriber, is no where near the same as most will not be here to even gain the benefit.
You cant take something away from someone who never had it. If someone starts the game post F2P then they never had the VA token, therefore nothing was "taken away" from them. As your argument is already that flawed from the very beginning, I wont bother going any further unless you want to correct it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 22
11-12-2011, 11:05 AM
I am going to compare STO:F2P to Dark Sun:Online.
Both had bugs.

Dark Sun online was a colossal failure.
Ergo, STO:F2P is going to be a colossal failure.


My logic is rock solid and irrefutable.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 23
11-12-2011, 11:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
I am going to compare STO:F2P to Dark Sun:Online.
Both had bugs.

Dark Sun online was a colossal failure.
Ergo, STO:F2P is going to be a colossal failure.


My logic is rock solid and irrefutable.
I don't think anyone is talking about STO failing.

I started this thread to discuss the FACT that STO is suffering as badly as it is NOW because Cryptic has its eyes focused so directly on what it will be in January.

A person who walks across a field with his eyes locked only on the horizon will not likely notice the deadly viper coiled in the grass until he steps on it...
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 24
11-12-2011, 11:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
You cant take something away from someone who never had it. If someone starts the game post F2P then they never had the VA token, therefore nothing was "taken away" from them. As your argument is already that flawed from the very beginning, I wont bother going any further until you correct it.
Come on now. I had the VA token @ level up. I have a lifetime sub. It's not there anylonger. You think ev1 got a LTS the exact day that STO was released? I admit, I bought one then but I also got the refund and didn't have another up to around the 1 year mark. (when Dstahl made enough improvements to make it worth it to me to get another and was saying the things I wanted to hear about the future) He's gone now and so are most of the things he said and his plans as well. So......., I think I'll join him.

I know full well that your hoping for the best out of this. I actualy applaud you for it. I did the same with the original NGE. It just didn't work out all that well for my troubles.

It wasn't the people who started post SOE's NGE that felt the pain of the CHANGES just the same as it will not be the people who start this game post F2P launch. It is the existing subscriptions that will/have felt the pain and if that "great, new, numbered in the millions, expected" playerbase they're doing all these CHANGES for (and SOE did all those CHANGES for) NEVER shows up, (as with the original NGE) then ALL of the remaining playerbase (who didn't leave over the CHANGES in the 1st place) will feel it all over again and even worse!
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 25
11-12-2011, 11:19 AM
I've said it before, give one Dev a week a weekend assignment to create a Foundry-crafted PvE mission , and then push those after a week of after-hours Dev testing and bug fixes.

It's not hard, players do it in their spare time, with a system they didn't design and (most often) barely understand, surely Cryptic Content Devs can manage it.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 26
11-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
What is it trading for? How many shares are available. How much money would it take to reach majority (51%) shareholder status?

You will find that when you add it all up, this community would likely have to raise more money thant Cryptic Studios itself sold for in order to gain any real leverage. Now Buying at least one share would make us at least shareholders. But unless our holdings with the company are significant, our voice would be about as effective as it is now...

At present, I don't have disposable income to throw into buying stock in PW or anyone else... It's an interesting concept, though...
This will answer all your quests then some. --> http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/pwrd
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 27
11-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
I don't think anyone is talking about STO failing.

I started this thread to discuss the FACT that STO is suffering as badly as it is NOW because Cryptic has its eyes focused so directly on what it will be in January.

A person who walks across a field with his eyes locked only on the horizon will not likely notice the deadly viper coiled in the grass until he steps on it...
You may not, but I am. See, when I compare two completely different things I can pull whatever I want out of it.

The F2P isn't the only poorly planned issue that has come out of Cryptic with regards to this game.

KDF. Cloak broken for a year. No Content for the year BUT tout how easy it is to make content for STO. Dstahl the "content warrior" who didn't release any content for half of the lifetime of the game. Such focus on the Cstore with a game that already had a sub.
If you look at other forums outside of this, there is absolutely no love for Cryptic anywhere. So what does cryptic do with its forum moderation? Push people to other websites where there is no love for cryptic. So, there is no way to defend themselves. Cryptic seems to encourage people to look into the abyss.
The only reason why anyone is here is because this is Star Trek. If this was called E&B3 or some other thing, this game would have closed down pretty quickly.
We have seen Cryptic do good stuff. We know they can do it. But there lesser angels seem to guide them to do pretty bad choices.

If you think F2P is the only bad focus that cryptic has had you are mistaken.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 28
11-12-2011, 11:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Esquire View Post
I know full well that your hoping for the best out of this. I actualy applaud you for it. I did the same with the original NGE. It just didn't work out all that well for my troubles. !
It has nothing to do with my hopes for STO, it is simply that your logic does not hold up under critical analysis. You talk about the VA token being moved to the 2 year reward, but you completely ignore(because it doesnt support your argument) the fact that subscribers will get 400 points every month. That means at MOST they would have to wait 4 months for the 1600 point ships or 5 months for the 2000 point ships.

However, they dont actually have to wait that long because they will also have the ability to trade DL for CPs. So if they dont want to wait the full 4/5 months, they can trade DL to get however many CPs they need in addition to their monthly stipend to get it sooner. Your argument is flawed because you ignore the facts that dont support your argument and hope other people wont notice. Unfortunately for you that didnt happen.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 29
11-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staran View Post
If you think F2P is the only bad focus that cryptic has had you are mistaken.
No... There are MANY problems facing STO. At the heart of them lies CONTENT.

Even when F2P goes into effect, if they do not create content and keep a steady stream of it coming, they will not hold a large enough regular audience for it to matter.

I think they are too premature with this move to F2P. Too much is missing and/or broken from the core game. And unless that is remedied, whether subscription or F2P, the profit potential will be held down.

That's why I am preaching content here. Because content is what will truly breathe life into this game.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 30
11-12-2011, 11:37 AM
Personally, I don't agree with most of the notions.

However, it would be nice if we had more content. But ultimately this will not easily please the majority of players who have completed most everything there is to complete. These same players will quickly consume any new content and immediately be asking for more -- especially with how easy STO currently is. More content will benefit new players the most, and this is a worthwhile venture. But I think its a bit foolish for someone, who has already done most/all things ingame, to think a new STF or two and a new mission every couple of weeks is going to satisfy them.

I am, of course, not saying we shouldn't have more content. We do. But I don't think its the only "magic bullet" that will make everything "okay" for everyone. The devs simply can't produce enough content fast enough, I don't blame them too harshly for choosing instead to polish the game and improve the foundation; where it matters more than a handful of missions people will blow past and never play again.

I see new life with the transition to Free to Play, so long as Cryptic has the insight and ability to capture it. So far I like most of the changes that are happening and I feel by and large they are good for the game. There are only a few changes that I am against, but they are ultimately minor in the grand scope of things.

I feel for the very first time that Cryptic is finally close to the product they wanted to release in 2010, but never had the time to complete. Maybe you can chalk that up to two years of paying for beta testing rights, if you want to look at it negatively. But I look forward to what STO will become, and hopefully become, in the first half of 2012. I believe that once all the F2P changes roll over and any bugs are smoothed out that we will finally see a steady stream of content flowing our way. I've never seen so much of the game worked on at once, it's quite exciting really.
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:51 AM.