Lt. Commander
OK, let's accept for a moment that we're stuck with this dilithium grinding system of getting stuff we used to be able to spend emblems on or craft for low amounts of materials.

Hey, if there's no going back on this, there's no point fighting it.

HOWEVER, the old energy credit values on gear really, REALLY need to change if this is going to be the case. For instance, a type XI purple disruptor beam array from the dilithium-only store costs 22,620 dilithium. Energy credit value on the item is even less than that number: 21,622.

Huh? It is worth LESS in the relatively worthless energy credits than it costs in dilithium?

Oh, and of course if you actually vendor-sell the item after using it because you have something else you want to use instead, the REAL resale value of the array is a paltry 10,811 energy credits.

That's just insulting. I wonder how much such an item will go for on the exchange? Millions of energy credits? Well, it would if it could be sold instead of being bind-on-pickup from the dilithium store. Maybe tens of millions for dropped items? Yeah, I know similar stuff can be crafted, but considering the dilithium costs aren't really that much lower PLUS you need crafting data, this stuff will still cost huge amounts in energy credits on the exchange.

Please, Cryptic, reexamine the energy credit values on gear, particularly high-end gear.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-19-2011, 05:20 PM
+1, although people will complain there are enough sources of EC, this really needs to be addressed. As it is now these items are basically consumables. Once you equip them they are worthless if you ever want to move on.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-19-2011, 05:32 PM
Worse, the ones that are bind-on-pickup don't even have to be used to become worthless.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-19-2011, 10:01 PM
Agree with your sentiment. However, I doubt they will change it. The devs have said that they are looking into ways of making EC sinks in the game. Increasing the EC vendor value only makes those sinks harder to do what they are intended to do.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-20-2011, 07:10 AM
Agreed, I don't see this changing especially as this has always been the case. Even on holodeck at the moment I can craft a rare MK XI purple, use if to a couple of days and then decide I don't want it. Because I have used it I can only sell it to a vendor for %50 of it's value.
In many ways I'm fine with this because it keep the value of non-bound items at a premium, therefore if I decide to craft and sell I can actually make some money. If you could re-sell a purple on the exchange they wouldn't be worth anything and there would be no point to crafting as you could buy the same item for virtually nothing.
I know it sucks in some way because I've crafted something, used it, and then found out it's not what I thought it was. Then when I went to sell it to a vendor I felt ripped off because if I hadn't used it I could have sold it for 50,000 ec's. But the big picture is, if I could have re-sold it on the exchange and not to a vendor it would devalue the exchange and I would probably only get what the vendor's price is anyway. It's all about economies of scale and supply and demand.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-20-2011, 11:17 AM
dilithium and EC were always supposed to be unrelated. There is no reason to expend dil to get EC through vender trashing since there are already a ton of EC floating around in the game.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowbert View Post
dilithium and EC were always supposed to be unrelated. There is no reason to expend dil to get EC through vender trashing since there are already a ton of EC floating around in the game.
I don't think that's really the point. No one in this thread is suggesting that you should profit or even-money trade Di/EC. Moreover, no one wants to "vendor trash" as that's a silly way of expending Di. However, there are many instances in this game where you pick up rare/vrare items that you've outgrown or cannot use. You're going to take a loss from vendoring bound items, no one is disputing that and I think everyone accepts it as an economic reality. Given the time and effort required to gain those items in the first place, and given that costs have gone up across the board by a substantial degree, it is reasonable to suggest that the NPC vendor values also rise to help offset the increase in costs and time.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-20-2011, 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by manlai View Post
I don't think that's really the point. No one in this thread is suggesting that you should profit or even-money trade Di/EC. Moreover, no one wants to "vendor trash" as that's a silly way of expending Di. However, there are many instances in this game where you pick up rare/vrare items that you've outgrown or cannot use. You're going to take a loss from vendoring bound items, no one is disputing that and I think everyone accepts it as an economic reality. Given the time and effort required to gain those items in the first place, and given that costs have gone up across the board by a substantial degree, it is reasonable to suggest that the NPC vendor values also rise to help offset the increase in costs and time.
So your idea is to further inflate EC by increasing EC rates gained from vendoring bound items previously purchased with dil?