Lt. Commander
Post-F2P content. While I'm not crazy about every detail of the new F2P system, in general it is sound. However the only thing that is going to actually keep people playing a game is new content. That being the case, whether F2P succeeds or fails is going to depend entirely on whether Cryptic releases new content on a regular basis after F2P launches.

If Cryptic can manage to get the FEs going again and keep them coming on a regular basis, then people will keep playing. And if they keep adding new items to the C-store then those people will wind up buying things. Everybody wins. But without the regular new content, everybody loses. Most of all cryptic, because they lose their jobs.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-12-2011, 12:58 PM
I hate to agree with you (primarily for twilight related reasons) but at the same time, just look how the content drought is hurting them already. Granted it's not ONLY the Content Drought but also the lying, not listening as well to the forums, and being about the money rather than the IP or fans, but at the same time, how many people would have less to worry about or complain about had we been receiving regular content?

With out the new content, we have nothing to do but focus on the very unpopular changes happining at the moment. If this were to keep up well after the conversion, then a lot of people would drop this game in a heart beat leaving CBS the only option of pulling the plug. Up until Pay 2 Win er... i mean... uh... Free 2 Play... was announced it was going great. We had a good supply of new content comming and people were happy. Sure there were things that needed improvement, but at the same time, give the people Entertainment and the people give you anything you ask.

If, and ONLY IF, cryptic manages to return to a steady stream of new content (and not just paid content) will they be able to recover from the Fiasco that P2W..... F2P has become.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Supposedly they intend on supplying content much more quickly after f2p launch. So their overall plan seems to account for this. They still have to deliver, but it's good to know that they've seen this coming and it's a major part of their business model.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-12-2011, 01:15 PM
I can conceive of a scenario where they produce content but have created such an awful P2W atmosphere that the game dies anyways.

We're not there yet but its not out of the question.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-12-2011, 01:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan_Kent View Post
I can conceive of a scenario where they produce content but have created such an awful P2W atmosphere that the game dies anyways.

We're not there yet but its not out of the question.
P2W only effects PvP, as everyone already wins in PvE. The majority of the playerbase doesnt PvP anyway, so even if PvP becomes worse than it already is it wont effect most people.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-12-2011, 01:37 PM
It's not what aspect of the game it affects that bothers people, it's that it affects it at all. Once pay 2 win is established, that means that there is an unfair advantage reguardless. With enough people crying foul, the game over all would suffer.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-12-2011, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith_Shadow
It's not what aspect of the game it affects that bothers people,
Actually, that is exactly what bothers people. Human history has shown that if something only effects a small minority that the majority do not really care. The same is true of MMO history. If an apsect of gameplay that only a very small minority care about is "broken", then it isnt going to get fixed. The majority of player do not PvP, and that is exactly what PvP has not gotten any attention thus far. The Devs focus on what the majority of the playerbase care about. I'm not saying thats right or that I agree with it, but it is how it works regardless.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-12-2011, 01:46 PM
Ruining PVP will still cost them customers. Some of their friends who don't PVP will leave with them or wont play it because they leave. So it will effect more than just PVP players.

I just don't think they are willing to do what it takes to make this game successful. Or they would have done it by now. I think they will just keep making c-store items, while making very little game play. C-store has been their only real focus from the start.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-12-2011, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardo_Cullen
P2W only effects PvP, as everyone already wins in PvE. The majority of the playerbase doesnt PvP anyway, so even if PvP becomes worse than it already is it wont effect most people.
PvP is very important to any mmo, especially ones that are short on content.

I have yet to see Cryptic step up to the plate at all in any of their titles as far as pvp goes, sure they have some instanced 5 on 5 type stuff, but specific combat zones that allow for large open conflicts, I just don't think thier engine can handle it.

featured episodes are great and all, but there is no way they can stay ahead of the play base If they decide that is the type of content they are going to focus on. If they do were going to be running the same STF's for another two years and sitting around bored.

What they need to do In regards to content Is put the collective brains together and start working on something that is much more player driven, and incorporates exploration,starbases,crafting and elements of both PVE and PVP..giving the players the choice on what style they want.

Putting the endgame in the hands of the players, and adding persistant and noticable effects on the game world would alliw them time to work on FE's while we create emergent gameplay.

I fear however that they just won't step outside the comfort zone, they haven't in any cryptic game to date, and that's unfortunate because with a game like TOR you can't come to the table with something less than they are bringing pve wise/story wise. In order to make deep interesting storylines with voice acting etc you need to have deep pockets.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-12-2011, 04:17 PM
PvP needs a revamp more than anything else. Ker'rat needs a revamp, and 4 more open PvP objective style maps need to be opened in the neutral zone. And there needs to be more queue space maps, to ease the repetitiveness of the current maps. And hopefully fleet starbases will be tied to PvP if those ever make it in.