Lt. Commander
# 11
11-12-2011, 11:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgomir View Post
PvP needs a revamp more than anything else. Ker'rat needs a revamp, and 4 more open PvP objective style maps need to be opened in the neutral zone. And there needs to be more queue space maps, to ease the repetitiveness of the current maps. And hopefully fleet starbases will be tied to PvP if those ever make it in.
It's not going to happen.

I seriously do not think so. I'm sure Stormie or some other dev may swing by and say "oh but we're working on this and this and that for pvp!"

The same thing they've been saying for almost 2 years.

PvP is dead in STO. There is nothing left to revive.
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-13-2011, 01:21 AM
Not only is PvP something Cryptic sucks royally at (across both titles according to much media), it is something they cannot implement properly to appease the overly large portion of their carebear playerbase, especially in this game. Teaming? Hell no, they wont' go! Heaven forbid some Kirk have to take part of some massive fleet undertaking for the good of the quadrant. If they can't do it with themselves, by themselves, this playerbase is not interested. It's the one threat from the carebears cryptic has taken seriously "make me team and make me pvp and I will quit". Despite that all proposals put forth have been optional pvp...the carebears won't hear of it. Any mention of it what so ever is an insult to their evolved sensibilities. And this is supposed to be the same massive playerbase that is keeping this game alive...the same massive playerbase that is so small the game has to go f2p in order to become profitable again.

So yes, as an end game, player-defined continuing medium pvp modes are the way to go. It doesn't need to be Eve style, which is what scares the rp'ers to death, but the fact that cryptic doesn't know how to do it, and that the rp kirk drones don't want it is what will keep pvp from ever being better in this game. Even though we've been told that Cryptic has been told to put more emphasis on better pvp. It's really too bad that narrower minds prevail.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-13-2011, 01:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardo_Cullen
Post-F2P content. While I'm not crazy about every detail of the new F2P system, in general it is sound. However the only thing that is going to actually keep people playing a game is new content. That being the case, whether F2P succeeds or fails is going to depend entirely on whether Cryptic releases new content on a regular basis after F2P launches.

If Cryptic can manage to get the FEs going again and keep them coming on a regular basis, then people will keep playing. And if they keep adding new items to the C-store then those people will wind up buying things. Everybody wins. But without the regular new content, everybody loses. Most of all cryptic, because they lose their jobs.
If they manage that, I think there is hope for STO. Not necessarily for PvPers, but at least for the story-tellers. (I am both, but I am not sure just one aspect is going to cut it. But then - I am a lifer, so I can return for FEs when I want. But it would sadden me to give up on PvP).

But will they manage that? Champison has arguably seen more content in the past few months then STO - but it's still very far away from regular weeky or bi-weekly episodes. And I am not sure that _just_ episodes will motivate people to buy much in the C-Store.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-13-2011, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by genxcraig View Post
Not only is PvP something Cryptic sucks royally at (across both titles according to much media), it is something they cannot implement properly to appease the overly large portion of their carebear playerbase, especially in this game. Teaming? Hell no, they wont' go! Heaven forbid some Kirk have to take part of some massive fleet undertaking for the good of the quadrant. If they can't do it with themselves, by themselves, this playerbase is not interested. It's the one threat from the carebears cryptic has taken seriously "make me team and make me pvp and I will quit". Despite that all proposals put forth have been optional pvp...the carebears won't hear of it. Any mention of it what so ever is an insult to their evolved sensibilities. And this is supposed to be the same massive playerbase that is keeping this game alive...the same massive playerbase that is so small the game has to go f2p in order to become profitable again.

So yes, as an end game, player-defined continuing medium pvp modes are the way to go. It doesn't need to be Eve style, which is what scares the rp'ers to death, but the fact that cryptic doesn't know how to do it, and that the rp kirk drones don't want it is what will keep pvp from ever being better in this game. Even though we've been told that Cryptic has been told to put more emphasis on better pvp. It's really too bad that narrower minds prevail.
pretty much nailed it, I don't think cryptic is capable of stepping out side the comfort zone as far as pvp goes, and it is probably going to bite em in the long run, I have been on the 800 pound gorilla beta for a bit and the story driven pve experience it delivers is going to take a pretty sizable chunk of carebears from games.

I think this dev team is capable of it, the inventiveness is there, and the creativity, but not the leadership.

It's going to be interesting when guildwars 2 launches as well, there is a company that knows how to do pvp really well, and not let it ruin carebear pve. I guess at some point someone might snap thier fingers and realize they cant possibly release Featured episodes at a sustainable pace to retain the players, and probably after the free to play churn trickles off when they get bored we might see some hail mary attempt.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-13-2011, 07:03 AM
I think we've established PVP is important and should get attention. We've been asking for that for a long time. Secondly, I don't see anything at all in the C-Store that resembles "Pay to Win" on any real scale. Unique consoles don't count-- there is a trade-off for using them, afterall, and they're only one power in the grand scope of the ~20 or so space abilities we already have. None of them are so good that they, in any shape or form, garauntee that you will win in either PvE or PvP.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-14-2011, 04:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillingMeSoftly
I think we've established PVP is important and should get attention. We've been asking for that for a long time. Secondly, I don't see anything at all in the C-Store that resembles "Pay to Win" on any real scale. Unique consoles don't count-- there is a trade-off for using them, afterall, and they're only one power in the grand scope of the ~20 or so space abilities we already have. None of them are so good that they, in any shape or form, garauntee that you will win in either PvE or PvP.
To be fair, "we've been asking for it" for almost two years. And many other things besides pvp.

They are not fixing pvp. Just like the Foundry, it gets no love, no fixes, no real additions. At this point we have to redirect our efforts in the game into other areas of the game. Seriously why spend my time pvp'ing when I'm playing the same exact maps as I was almost two years ago? Or fighting OP skills that never get nerfed accordingly or buffed appropriately? I'd rather goof around and parkour my way through ESD than go faceroll the keyboard a thousandth time on Assimilated Cruiser or Briar Patch..
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-14-2011, 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillingMeSoftly
I think you may not be entirely up-to-date on the P2W C-Store ships. They also get an additional console slot over other ships of their tier, and an additional bridge officer power. (Tier 2 ships get a 2nd Lt. slot, Tier 3 seem to get an additional Ensign Slot, not sure now what the Tier 4 ships get aside from the extra cosnole slot.).
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-14-2011, 08:30 AM
Content is right! Without it STO dies.

PvE content that is agnostic fro all players, PvE content for the feds and actual Faction PvE content for the KDF that gives them/us a meaningful level of play, PvP needs love in the form of new maps, Player made maps and a reason for existing that ties it to the war effort, The Foundry needs love so those whom use it have a reason to do so....

the list goes on.
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-14-2011, 09:14 AM
PVP needs more than maps it needs meaningful games. When I was playing the so called capture and hold. You and a ally could sit at a node. It would take like two minutes to take it. Then you move to another to take it. A enemy player could just fly through the one you took and it would reset. A enemy player should have to wait there for two minutes to take it. While you get points till it turns. I hated the mechanics in that mini game.

[I]Last Man Standing[/i] This would be a game where when you die you don't respawn. You can run or fly around stealthed after you die to watch the match. The last person alive that team wins. You would probably have to deactivated cloaks in this, you could say radiation in the area wont allow cloaking. This game would probably have to have a five minute timer too. Last ship/person would get a slight bonus. Be the last one standing so many matches you get a accolade title

Capture the Flag You would be capturing a valuable resource. It would make your ship glow and the radiation would keep you from cloaking. The would be flying through a asteroid belt. Each side would have a mining station and you would take the enemies resource and deliver it to yours. While keeping them from taking yours. When the carrier of the resource is killed you press F to take it. It you kill the one carrying your resources you have to take it back to your station.

Boss Kill You would fight through NPC enemies to kill a NPC Admiral/General before the enemy kills yours. There would be like four groups, with mini bosses. You would have to fight before you get to the boss.

Capture Station You would start out fighting outside a station, in space. There would a be a Klingon station and another game with a Federation station. You would defend if you got in the game with your factions station. You would defeat the stations defenses till you knock the shields down, then go in and kill a Boss to capture the Op's to take the station.

The first three would be ground or space.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardo_Cullen
Post-F2P content. While I'm not crazy about every detail of the new F2P system, in general it is sound. However the only thing that is going to actually keep people playing a game is new content. That being the case, whether F2P succeeds or fails is going to depend entirely on whether Cryptic releases new content on a regular basis after F2P launches.

If Cryptic can manage to get the FEs going again and keep them coming on a regular basis, then people will keep playing. And if they keep adding new items to the C-store then those people will wind up buying things. Everybody wins. But without the regular new content, everybody loses. Most of all cryptic, because they lose their jobs.
100% agree whit you but not for FE but for content in all mainly end game content for VA not let keep this a single player game to me i play a MMO to make friends not to play a game alone if i wonted that i play star trek bbridge commander