Lt. Commander
# 1 Let's Play Star Trek Online
11-12-2011, 12:37 PM
Hello folks!

Forgive me if this isn't the right place to put this, but it makes sense to me to have this here.

My username on this forum is KDS, but these days I go by the handle of J2JonJeremy. I'm a Let's Player on Youtube. I'm not the greatest [Hell, I wouldn't even call myself good] but I enjoy doing it and seeing viewer reaction. Recently, I've been looking into doing a long-term Let's Play, something that will last for at least a few months if not half a year.

Thus, I come to Star Trek Online.

You see, when the subscription details were first released back in late 2009, I picked up a Lifetime subscription to the game. And then proceeded never to actually play the game. I know, I know. The money. Anyway, fast forward to today and I come to find out that even though I never played the game, my Lifetime Subscription is in fact, lifetime!

I am a Star Trek fan, and I am interested in seeing the work that 's been done for the game. Now, I understand that there are a lot of tensions going on right now about the game's arrival to F2P land. And to be honest, I don't really have an opinion on that. I'm just here to play the game and have fun!

If you guys want to follow the series on Youtube, just head to http://www.youtube.com/user/J2JonJeremy and subscribe, easy as pie. If you have any suggestions, tips, or other comments about the series, please post them either in this thread or on my channel/videos. I'm definitely looking forward to getting this off the ground. Thanks for watching!
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-13-2011, 11:54 AM
And the first episode is up as Ensign Jon Jeremy finds himself under attack by a raiding Borg Fleet!

Episode One: Where No Man Has Gone Before
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Vy84ChW6g
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-13-2011, 12:10 PM
That was quite a painful video to listen to, the ingame music levels were rather high and it made it hard to listen to you while the musics playing !!!!

And since your somewhat new to the game, a quick tip, if you dont want to face massive grinds to decently equip yourself (i doubt your lets play fanbase will want to see you repeating the same missions day after day after day after day), power level your character before the F2P hits the live server at the start of december.....

It should be easy for you to do since after all according the guy in charge of sto we can hit max level with good stuff in a day
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-13-2011, 12:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meehee View Post
That was quite a painful video to listen to, the ingame music levels were rather high and it made it hard to listen to you while the musics playing !!!!

And since your somewhat new to the game, a quick tip, if you dont want to face massive grinds to decently equip yourself (i doubt your lets play fanbase will want to see you repeating the same missions day after day after day after day), power level your character before the F2P hits the live server at the start of december.....

It should be easy for you to do since after all according the guy in charge of sto we can hit max level with good stuff in a day
Alright, you don't need to listen to this guy to a T. In all honesty, you don't need the VERY BEST EQUIPMENT in the game to play it. So you don't need to grind to the degree he's referencing.

If you want to do the STFs (Which are basically the Raids of Star Trek Online), you MIGHT need to do a bit of grinding to get the right equipment, but if all else fails, it can be done off-screen.

Also, I do agree with meehee in regards to the music-levels compared to your commentary levels. Reverse them!
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-13-2011, 02:07 PM
Thanks for the input guys. Episode 2-4 are already recorded, but your advice will been seen in Episodes 5 onward. Much appreciated.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-14-2011, 11:22 AM
Episode 2 is now uploaded on Youtube for anyone's viewing pleasure.

Episode Two: One Small Step...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=irJLxG4vZos
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-14-2011, 12:20 PM
I Got To Say Eicp Sig TO MEEHEE
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Doing the tutorial through the eyes of a new player... ah memories.

Glad you enjoyed it. To equip your kit, press 'u' while on the ground (ie not in space), and drag your kit into the spot. Press 'i' to open up your inventory to find your kit.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-15-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks again for the input guys.

Episode 3: Wherever You go, There You Are
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xM76G3IUzcI
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-15-2011, 04:14 PM
Tips:

1) When you push 'k' to open up your skills window, make sure you SCROLL down the window. There are a lot of other skills you can put points into that are at the bottom of the window.

2) To set your title, press 'u' while on the ground, and click 'edit record'. There should be a drop down menu to select a title.

3)Map of space dock: http://www.stoacademy.com/maps/esd.php

4) On your starter ship, you only have torpedoes on your front weapon slots. The enemy needs to be in front of you for you to fire your torpedo. (This is what they are referring to as a 'firing arc').

5) For your next bridge officer, make sue you pick a tactical officer. Your ship has stations for 1 engineer, 1 tac, and 1 sci officer. Having 2 engineers or 2 science officer right now will not help you in space battles.