Lt. Commander
I find the current choice to set the stipend to be based on our anniversary of subscribing to the game to be incredibly unfair. It just so happens that I subbed on January 28th, 2010. The game wasn't even officially released until February 2, 2010. But because I subscribed four days earlier, now I have to wait almost a month longer to receive my stipend than people who subscribed after release, or for that matter a year after release, or just last week! By the time I get my stipend, other people who subbed later will be on the verge of getting their second stipend.

So, basically those of us who subbed late in the month, which will be the case for anyone who subbed prior to the official release, are penalized almost a full month on the stipend. I'm not pleased about the timing decision at all... I'm sure this is unintentional, but it sure doesn't send a good message to those of us who've been here even before the official release date.

The Problem
In a nutshell what's happening now is that people are being arbitrarily considered to have subscribed 30 days before they received their first stipend. Someone who gets theirs on December 1st, is being treated as if they subbed on November 1st. Meanwhile, someone who receives their stipend on December 31st is being treated as if they subbed on November 31st. However, in reality both are currently subscribed, and neither one deserves to be treated more favorably.

Currently, the people who have a anniversary later in the month are being forced to "give up" up to 30 days of stipend compared to someone whose anniversary is early in the month.

The Solution: Prorate the first stipend
The simple solution is to treat everyone as if they had subbed on November 1st. To do this the [b]first[/B ]stipend (and only the first) would be prorated based on the day of the month it was received.

If you receive your first stipend on December 1st, you'd have been "subscribed" for 30 days, and thus receive 400 points. If you receive your first stipend on December 15th, then you'd have been "subscribed" for 45 days, but since you hadn't yet received a stipend, your first stipend would be 600 points (400 for the first 30 days, and 200 for the next 15). And so on.

After the first month, everything would be equal and we'd receive our 400 points on the normal schedule.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-10-2011, 04:01 AM
If they gave it on the 1st they would have to give out 100% cpoints in this first month. Taking the anniversary day, somewhere between 1st and 30th they might end up handing it out at the 15th in average, and thus 50% cpoints saved. Usual cryptic tactic these days.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-10-2011, 04:22 AM
I'm seriously hoping they count any prelaunch subscriptions' "anniversary date" as the 1st or 2nd. It's really unfair otherwise.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-10-2011, 04:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I'm seriously hoping they count any prelaunch subscriptions' "anniversary date" as the 1st or 2nd. It's really unfair otherwise.
This would be the correct decision to take in this case, thanks for bringing this up Nagorak!
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-10-2011, 04:34 AM
I wonder what happens to people who subbed on the 31st of a month, hows that get worked out on months that don't have a 31st day?
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-10-2011, 04:36 AM
Edited: Just realized I misread the OPs first post. Sorry for that.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-10-2011, 04:37 AM
The whole point of staggering the stipend across the whole month, has it's answer found in the dilithium exchange. If everyone got their stipends on the 1st, it would cause a pricing instability. C-Points would buy less dilithium as everyone competes to be the cheapest price on the exchange, and it wouldn't be as attractive for people to spend c-points on, if the market struggles to recover. Cryptic's financial future relies on that exchange being more attractive for those paying for c-points to sell for dilithium. They have a vested interest in keeping the exchange rate as stable, and as high as possible.

I think Cryptic would be far more likely to agree to starting the stipends mid-way through a month (i.e. the day lifetime pre-releases were first sold) than having everyone's stipend being received on the same day.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-10-2011, 04:49 AM
Quote:
I find the current choice to set the stipend to be based on our anniversary of subscribing to the game to be incredibly unfair. It just so happens that I subbed on January 28th, 2010.
LOL... Not what they meant man... sheesh people gripe about everything on here now without even having their facts straight...
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-10-2011, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormoran View Post
I wonder what happens to people who subbed on the 31st of a month, hows that get worked out on months that don't have a 31st day?
I expect the system will work off the very strange metric system STO has for counting days subscribed as opposed to actual days in the month or any other relevant factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuh
The whole point of staggering the stipend accross the whole month, has it's answer found in the dilithium exchange.[snip]
Great insight.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-10-2011, 05:24 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Andrews View Post
LOL... Not what they meant man... sheesh people gripe about everything on here now without even having their facts straight...
How is it not what they meant. This is what was posted:

The stipend is granted on the “anniversary day” for your account. This is the day in the month which corresponds to when your account was first activated for Star Trek Online. This means that you won’t necessarily get your stipend right at the beginning of the month, but it will be coming for you at the appropriate time during December and each following month.

So, if you activated (I used the term subbed, but it amounts to the same) on the 28th, you don't get it until the 28th. That's what the problem is. All the headstart subs are going to be from the very last days of January, and not get their stipend until the end of December.

If they have to stagger the stipend then so be it, and I understand some people are going to get shorted one way or the other. But it seems a bit lame that the ones being shorted are those who played during head start. I don't want to sound elitist, but head start players have been here from the very start, I do think that should stand for something, and that we shouldn't be penalized for joining the game even before the official release date.