Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 11
11-13-2011, 09:55 AM
I get the idea of making some items powerful but dangerous... But I think the way to do that is to have certain effects like mines damage your opponents and you but NOT other friendly targets.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 12
11-13-2011, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I get the idea of making some items powerful but dangerous... But I think the way to do that is to have certain effects like mines damage your opponents and you but NOT other friendly targets.
Well I admit that would make sense, mines have their own targerting, and they should kow the diffrence between freind and enemy. (would be nice if ss or ams would effect their targerting too, then).
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 13
11-13-2011, 10:11 AM
What the OP and what I wrote isn't about putting a target lock on a ally and opening fire. Or about laying mines in social areas, or griefing.

It adds just a touch of realism to the game. If you had a starship you wouldn't be flying it through mines and tears in space. There is no way a tear in space is going to effect enemy ships and not friendlies.

I think explosions should have a blast radius, that would damage everyone in that radius. I also think collisions should do damage.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 14
11-13-2011, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
What the OP and what I wrote isn't about putting a target lock on a ally and opening fire. Or about laying mines in social areas, or griefing.

It adds just a touch of realism to the game. If you had a starship you wouldn't be flying it through mines and tears in space. There is no way a tear in space is going to effect enemy ships and not friendlies.

I think explosions should have a blast radius, that would damage everyone in that radius. I also think collisions should do damage.
Realism takes a backseat to gameplay and practicality. In both cases Friendly Fire wether it be direct or indirect has no place in STO and Collisions even less so.

YAY !
Everyone should suffer griefing and Friendly fire because you want to have a touch of realism... how about no.
I will accept Friendly Fire and Collision physics at the same time Cryptic allow full 3D flight movement complete with inversion.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 15
11-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
Realism takes a backseat to gameplay and practicality. In both cases Friendly Fire wether it be direct or indirect has no place in STO and Collisions even less so.

YAY !
Everyone should suffer griefing and Friendly fire because you want to have a touch of realism... how about no.
I will accept Friendly Fire and Collision physics at the same time Cryptic allow full 3D flight movement complete with inversion.
You should be avoiding all mines and tears in space anyway. Unless you control you starship.

A blast radius isn't friendly fire, it's a blast radius. To think a explosion would only damage enemies and not friendlies, is goofy. If you see a ship about to explode you shouldn't be parked next to it.

Seeing mines and rifts in a fixed position and to think you can't do anything about it is laughable. It must be extremely easy to grief you, if you can't maneuver to avoid them.

Yes, there should be 3D flight, because the flight controls are to limited. I guess that would be to challenging for people who can't avoid mines.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 16
11-13-2011, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
A blast radius isn't friendly fire, it's a blast radius. To think a explosion would only damage enemies and not friendlies, is goofy. If you see a ship about to explode you shouldn't be parked next to it.
The game already has blast radius damage... are you naturally this dense or just being dishonest ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
Seeing mines and rifts in a fixed position and to think you can't do anything about it is laughable. It must be extremely easy to grief you, if you can't maneuver to avoid them.
As easy as it was to 'avoid' them in Social Zones - Right ?

If someone is looking to grief you they will be dropping rifts in your face, firing tricobalts at enemies beside you. If you want to self immolate yourself then have at it, I fail to see why others should get boned because you feel the need to include mechanics that can be abused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Englebert
Yes, there should be 3D flight, because the flight controls are to limited. I guess that would be to challenging for people who can't avoid mines.
... and this is where you failed and screwed your argument in the process.

Cryptic specifically refused 3D flight because players couldnt handle it and the majority didnt want it.

Friendly Fire - STO players have demonstrated they cannot handle it with the amount of griefing that has repeatedly caused issues and the reasons AGAINST Friendly Fire consistently out-weigh the benefit.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 17 Something Else Wrong
11-13-2011, 01:07 PM
In addition to the "griefing" possible, apparently there was something broken in the code.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/sho...d.php?t=240098

Since the last small update targeting has reverted back to normal and this problem has disappeared.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 18
11-13-2011, 01:10 PM
I am for friendly fire.

If STO is turned into a turn-based game. I think it can work just fine in such games.Of course, griefers wouldn't need friendly fire than to ruin your fun.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 19
11-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sheridan
The game already has blast radius damage... are you naturally this dense or just being dishonest ?

Blast radius damage from friendly mines should effect all players. Rift damage should effect all players as well. I haven't lied about anything.


As easy as it was to 'avoid' them in Social Zones - Right ?

Like, I said in a earlier post and you chose to ignore it. They shouldn't do damage in social areas.

If someone is looking to grief you they will be dropping rifts in your face, firing tricobalts at enemies beside you. If you want to self immolate yourself then have at it, I fail to see why others should get boned because you feel the need to include mechanics that can be abused.

It's real easy to fly away from a mine that doesn't detonate for a minute. It's real easy to keep your distance from another ship so they can't pop a rift in your face, it's a real simple tactic. A 1k blast radius from mines detonating isn't a big deal.

... and this is where you failed and screwed your argument in the process.

Cryptic specifically refused 3D flight because players couldnt handle it and the majority didnt want it.

That is completely false they never did public testing of 3D space flight.


Friendly Fire - STO players have demonstrated they cannot handle it with the amount of griefing that has repeatedly caused issues and the reasons AGAINST Friendly Fire consistently out-weigh the benefit.
I have never asked for anything to grief with. You have completely ignored what I have said. I never asked for anything to do damage in social zones. I have never asked for friendly fire. I said detonations of mines should damage in a blast radius and rifts should damage all ships.
Lt. Commander
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 120
# 20
11-13-2011, 05:53 PM
I agree certain weapons and effects should have FF, but unfortuantely the Devs can not program in player maturity so we do not get the fun rules of combat.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:27 AM.