Lt. Commander
# 11
11-13-2011, 01:04 PM
I think they should get minor appearences in future FE's until they become the big badass.

I.e ... your doing a mission and you see one of those ships in theb ackground for a second.. then pooof its gone :O
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-13-2011, 01:06 PM
I think they probably have a word doc somewhere with a one page outline but I recall Kestrel admitting there was no story bible and they have a couple of FEs planned beyond the current one in her last interview. She has indicated she'd like to write a story bible if she ever gets the time.

There may be detailed plans or ideas but, as I understand it, nobody has had the time to write them down.

I recall from Gozer's "content drought" comments that the content team is tasked with building social maps, doing cinematics, and writing out missions and dialogue from Kestrel's notes. We know from STOked 100 that they do things like script special ability consoles as well.

Now, the content team is, as I understand, the largest team on STO but I have to say that I think it's really about 3-5 teams worth of focus crammed into one and that hurts the game when the same people concerned with subplots and dialogue are also placing trees in social hubs and scripting boss fights; that works for the Foundry, I suppose, but I think more manpower and a reworking of the division of labor would yield better output and a cleaner focus on story.
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-13-2011, 01:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by P_Sutherland
I think they should get minor appearences in future FE's until they become the big badass.

I.e ... your doing a mission and you see one of those ships in theb ackground for a second.. then pooof its gone :O
I'm not sure I agree. That's a painfully slow storyline progress and I'd really prefer to see it developed faster than the Praetorians in CoH or the Titans plot in ********, both of which developed faster than the Iconians have to date. I have some thoughts on how to improve that and pick up the pace but it involves having a second, parallel story delivery method alongside FEs, which really need to release at least once a quarter themselves.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-13-2011, 01:24 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathan99
I'm not sure I agree. That's a painfully slow storyline progress and I'd really prefer to see it developed faster than the ... the Titans plot in ********, both of which developed faster than the Iconians have to date.
Not having played CoH, the Titans plot in ******** is one of the most plodding plots I can think of - not counting its roots in ******** III's, the story had its roots in Uldaman, and has hit dungeons and raid instances in every expansion except Burning Crusade, and if I'm not misunderstanding the Cataclysm timeline, Azeroth still hasn't seen a real live Titan since Sargeras's last visit, only constructs.

That is pretty much the kind of progression the Iconians have been on with an extra five or six years of it going on. Which is fitting for entities that share the supreme seat of their respective games. Many story arcs have run to their conclusion and major enemies laid to rest and the supreme enemies are still pretty much unknown quantities.
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-13-2011, 03:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevach View Post
Not having played CoH, the Titans plot in ******** is one of the most plodding plots I can think of - not counting its roots in ******** III's, the story had its roots in Uldaman, and has hit dungeons and raid instances in every expansion except Burning Crusade, and if I'm not misunderstanding the Cataclysm timeline, Azeroth still hasn't seen a real live Titan since Sargeras's last visit, only constructs.

That is pretty much the kind of progression the Iconians have been on with an extra five or six years of it going on. Which is fitting for entities that share the supreme seat of their respective games. Many story arcs have run to their conclusion and major enemies laid to rest and the supreme enemies are still pretty much unknown quantities.
The thing is... STO doesn't have to close up shop once the Iconians are dealt with. They are one of many world shaking threats. A 3-4 year arc with a somewhat closed ending would be plenty.

With the Titans, they want to reboot the ******** universe. They created that universe. It's the story of going up against literal gods; even the Preservers in Star Trek aren't that involved in the lore, even though they created most of the species, including humans. And I think a big reason they're holding that plotline on reserve in WoW is it actually does give them the option to reboot ******** as a property down the line if they want to.

And even then, there are now a ton of cases in WoW where you learn about the Titans or interact with their tech. Revelations unfold like the gnomes starting as clockwork creatures or how the humans are mutated Vrykull. And they kept players distracted by having one big threat or another always emerge, all of which could be traced to Sargeras, the Old Gods, or the Titans but with a relationship just enough beneath the surface to keep your main focus on the villain... while also planting the seed of that connection every time.

I still have no clue how the Iconians made the Federation apathetic about the Undine or made the Klingons warlike again when most of them seemed quietly eager to move beyond that or how they got the Terran Empire up and running again.

What we could use in STO is a conspiracy theorist with a blackboard showing how everything MIGHT be connected. It's be a great use for the DS9 augments or someone like them.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-14-2011, 07:57 AM
There are always unanswered questions. There are many episodes that had open ended conclusions that haven't been touched yet. Now, I'm not a fan of having the Iconians be responsible for every little thing, but I would like to see them some more.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-14-2011, 08:02 AM
At the end of the level grind we find out it's the Iconians that are stirring up 8472. I'm not worried about Reman FE's ending, so much as the 8472 story arch. What irks me is that they've left us with a cliff hanger for over a year.

I'd really like to see them pick up the 8472 story arch and turn the game into the events of 'The Long War' as written about in Needs of the Many. I know Kestrel has read it, she's getting ideas from it.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-14-2011, 08:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commadore_Bob
There are always unanswered questions. There are many episodes that had open ended conclusions that haven't been touched yet. Now, I'm not a fan of having the Iconians be responsible for every little thing, but I would like to see them some more.
I'm not saying to make them responsible, per se.

Just have some crackpot with a chalkboard say they are, toput us in the mood of it being a good mystery.

IMHO, a good story has moments where everything falls into place, whether or not they turn out to be true later. We don't have many of those moments in STO.

If I were king of Cryptic for a day, job one would be identifying six to twelve mysteries with reveals to play out, Iconian related or not.