Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by jheinig View Post
The plan for moving the dilithium cost on crafting over to material components that are purchased with dilithium is designed not just to allow fleet crafters to keep their trade because their fleet-mates can purchase the materials and give them to the crafters (or put them in the fleet bank), but also to:

1. Allow you to "tip" a crafter -- if you're happy with someone's work, you can give the crafter a couple of extra materials, and the crafter can use them as (s)he sees fit. If the schematics were purchased with dilithium, then tipping a crafter would mean that you'd have to give a specific schematic, and the crafter might wind up with something that is not useful to him or her. (Of course, these unwanted schematics can always be sold on the exchange, but getting materials that are useful for any kind of crafting has a much broader utility.) Of course, you can still tip extra anomalies, but material blocks are a way of showing that you're really pleased with the crafter's work.

2. Get discounts from special events -- we can set up particular events, conditions, or missions that may give you a discount on the components necessary to craft. If a crafting recipe calls for, say, 10 blocks of materials, we can give a 20% discount and now it will only cost 8 blocks. Since recipes only use 1 schematic at a time, though, we can't make a recipe cost ".8" schematics. This way we can have special times when crafters will really want to get their crafting on!
First I just want to say thank you for posting about this.
Next I want to try and meeting you half way and hope you will be open to this suggestion as well.

Since we now must have Material Blocks to craft, can we give them a secondary "wild card" purpose as well?

Here is what I mean...
lets say that you are going to craft a Very Rare Anti-Proton Dual Heavy Cannon MK XI, to do this under the current system on holodeck you would use
  • 1 Dual Heavy Cannon Schematic,
  • 30 Technical Schematics,
  • 1 AntiThorn Particle Trace ,
  • 1 Meteron Particle Trace.

On the new system, with my suggestion, you would have to use
  • 4 Material Blocks
  • 1 AntiThorn Particle Trace,
But lets say that you don't have your , 1 AntiThorn Particle Trace well if you have another Material block you can use it in its place.

So another option would be this:
  • 4 Material Blocks
  • 1 Material Blocks ( Substituted for the 1 AntiThorn Particle Trace) ,

The same for if you are missing the 30 Technical Schematics ( you could use a conversion rate to see how many Material Blocks equal how many Technical schematics ).

Might looks something like this:
  • 4 Material Blocks
  • 3 Material Blocks ( Substituted for the 30 Technical Schematics),

And you could even sub a large number of Material Blocks for the 1 Dual Heavy Cannon Schematic if you didnt have it.

So something like this:
  • 4 Material Blocks
  • 6 Material Blocks ( Substituted for the1 Dual Heavy Cannon Schematic),

Technically this would increase Dilithiums worth to crafters since it would make it a "Wild Card" element.

This would add Dilithium to crafting like you state we must have and at the same time give crafters a bonus tool to use. Adding something but giving something also.

Please consider this and respond.

Thank you.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-14-2011, 02:12 AM
Your system wouldn't work with the intended height of Cryptics dilithium tax.

Assuming that crafted items should never be more expensive than the ones you could buy directly in the rl cash... erm dilithium store, the math so war would be:

4x material blocks as dilithium tax
6x blocks as possible replacement for the schematic
3x bocks for the traces
1x block for the antithoron
2x blocks (?) for the metreon.
----
16 bocks in total equalizing with 100% of the non crafting dilithium costs... or only with the 4 default forced blocks "just" a ~25% dilithium tax on crafting, while they seem to intend three times more...
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-14-2011, 02:16 AM
The numbers arent perfect im just stating the concept of added the "Wild Card" element of these Material Blocks. So that they have a secondary use, and so that crafters get something positive added to crafting.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-14-2011, 06:56 PM
Like I said my math is not 100% but if we give these "Material Blocks" a secondary "wild card" use then it would at least be giving something back to the crafters who right now are planning to go throw English Tea into Boston Harbor. ( Yes. I just did a Boston Tea Party reference ).