Lt. Commander
All the special abilities of C-Store ships, have been converted to consoles. That makes sense. Why not? The problem is that many of them can't be used on anything but the ship they came with anyway. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of converting them to consoles?

Here's a couple examples :

The Cloaking Device can only be equipped on the Dreadnought Cruiser and the Defiant Refit.
The Tachyon Detection Grid can only be equipped on the Advanced Science Vessel Refit
The Saucer Separation console can only be equipped on the Exploration Cruiser Refit (this one makes sense though since it's model dependent.)
Ablative Hull Armor can only be equipped on the Voyager Refit. (this one makes sensetoo since it's model dependent, but I don't see why it couldn't be put on any ship it just wouldn't have the cool look and animation.)

I'm sure there are Klingon versions too that I'm not aware of.

If the consoles have such restrictions, why bother making them consoles at all?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-14-2011, 11:08 AM
Another thread about this? Really?

If anything, converting these abilities into consoles gives players more freedom when equipinig a ship. For example, Defiant's cloak will now be a console, and the ship itself gains an additional engineering slot. You can leave the console there, or put it into science slot, making more use of an additional engineering console.

Or you may just trash the console/ability completely if you don't use it too often and get yourself some other item.

Simple as that. You lose nothing, but get more options. Why is it such a big deal for some people?
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-14-2011, 12:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suavek View Post
gains an additional engineering slot. You can leave the console there, or put it into science slot, making more use of an additional engineering console.
Ah. I didn't think about that. I was just frustrated that I couldn't cloak my Excelsior AND use a Tachyon Detection grid.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-14-2011, 01:14 PM
umm the Tacyon detection grid console can be equipped on ANY science ship. I currently have the console on a Long Range Science Ship.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-14-2011, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khemaraa_Iron_Hand_KBF View Post
umm the Tacyon detection grid console can be equipped on ANY science ship. I currently have the console on a Long Range Science Ship.
Are you sure it's Tachyon Detection GRID and not Tachyon Detection FIELD? As the former should be Nebula Refit only, while the latter from Tier 3 Nebula can be moved to any other science vessel.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-14-2011, 01:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega_Glory
Ah. I didn't think about that. I was just frustrated that I couldn't cloak my Excelsior AND use a Tachyon Detection grid.
So you're mad you can't create an imbalance by packing all the special consoles on one ship? Okay, I see your point then.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-14-2011, 03:01 PM
I feel we should be able to move the consoles to any ship we choose and why not they are all federation ships anyway and the abilties are consoles anyway, I would love to put my ablative armor on any ship being bale to move consoles on to any ships make the game far more challenging and reuqires players to think alot more it would be a great thing.
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-14-2011, 03:28 PM
If these consoles were going to be interchangeable they would need to start coming with built in penalties (more significant than just a console slot too). Balance is a real concern guys. It's important.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I mentioned something similar to this in another thread. I know what Cryptic is trying to do. They have made it perfectly clear. If I didn't know better I'd say that someone LOVES seeing these sort of threads (that way they know that the games has been successfully nerfed in the right places to "slow the game down".

IMHO the skill tree (which is still overly simplified) our BOf skills and consoles are all somewhat interrelated. All of this spells out one thing: nerf.

IMHO this is really unnecessary. there are other ways through additional content, additional steps before completeing a rank ... or even adding a rank ( ie: Commodor ).

Things were finally somewhat balanced (yes I know that there were a couple issues ... but relativly minor in the grander scheme of things.)

I'm not sure why there is this insistant refusal to hear at least some of what is being said. IMHO there is a LOT of folks all saying the same thing... each comming from a slightly different point to ponder.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveHale View Post
If these consoles were going to be interchangeable they would need to start coming with built in penalties (more significant than just a console slot too). Balance is a real concern guys. It's important.
Balance is only important from a PVP point of view and if Champions Online is any indication of Cryptic's attitude towards pvp its not considered a very important part of the game. Personally I hope they back-bench pvp entirely so I CAN fly an unbalanced ship in pve.