Lt. Commander
A new article about NW recently came out on MMORPG, in which the following statement was made:

Quote:
MMORPG: Why has the team decided to take Neverwinter from a CORPG format to a true MMO? And what does it ultimately mean for the game and The Foundry content and all of that? Is anything sacrificed?

Andy Velasquez: The change from CORPG to a full action RPG F2P MMO is a change that just made sense for us. Perfect World wanted to go big. Expand everything. Do more. Do better. Take your time. Really blow it out. Pushing into 2012 allows us to make these changes.
http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...ez.html/page/1

So it sounds like PW doesnt want to release things before they are ready and dont mind taking more time to get it right. What do you think this means for the future of STO?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-14-2011, 12:10 PM
When we do get a content push, it'll be a CONTENT PUSH. Fine by me. Use this time to polish the game up and then hit us with a bunch of content.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-14-2011, 12:15 PM
I'm hoping that NWO's changes to the Cryptic engine will eventually reach STO and CO and that in late 2012 STO could do justice to the STAR TREK franchise.

I believe PWE wants Cryptic to take the time to learn and see what BioWare's doing in regards to story-telling and adapt Cryptics' games to the new kid on the block.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-14-2011, 12:21 PM
It could mean even more resources from STO siphoned off into Neverwinter
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-14-2011, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardo_Cullen
What do you think this means for the future of STO?
With Cryptic way longer focused on NW, STO will stay for another year with just a rump crew and without major new content.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
With Cryptic way longer focused on NW, STO will stay for another year with just a rump crew and without major new content.
If any game is going to get the short end of the stick I'd wager it would be Champs. Trek and DDO are both big IPs, while Champs really isnt. PW is a business and wants to make money, so improving their 2 biggest IPs makes business sense, and if there is a limited amount of resources available then it will probably be Champs that loses out. However if PW lets each team staff up like it sounds like they are, then this may not even be an issue.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Quote:
A new article about NW recently came out on MMORPG, in which the following statement was made:

So it sounds like PW doesnt want to release things before they are ready and dont mind taking more time to get it right. What do you think this means for the future of STO?
when it is ready is more important then a deadline to i am all for it
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-14-2011, 12:40 PM
Quote:

Right now it means nothing for STO; however, itís huge news for neverwinter fans.

If Perfect World has a plan for STO there being very tight lipped about it.

Part of me is hoping that the F2p STO launches with a bunch of surprises and new content that we were not told to expect.

Cryptic keeps telling us that Perfect World has the Resources and they want to see STO grow, I hope this is the case.

I hope Perfect Worlds deep pockets spillover into the development of STO.

Iím glad that NW is getting off on the right foot and is being given the time it needs to become a polished product from the start.

That being said:

Star Trek Online was here 1st and IMHO should be getting more of Perfect Worlds resources and development attention than Neverwinter at this point in time.
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-14-2011, 01:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Grand.Nagus View Post
If any game is going to get the short end of the stick I'd wager it would be Champs. Trek and DDO are both big IPs, while Champs really isnt. PW is a business and wants to make money, so improving their 2 biggest IPs makes business sense, and if there is a limited amount of resources available then it will probably be Champs that loses out. However if PW lets each team staff up like it sounds like they are, then this may not even be an issue.
STO will always have the stigma being released pre PW. They couldn't influence STOs development, they can't undo the reviews STO has already gotten, can't change the impressions of lots of users. They can't alter the game drastically without losing major parts of the current playerbase. They'll go live with their f2p model, and if it becomes somehow a huge success they might invest in STO again.

But unless this happens they will pump every bit of development time in new titles -as first NW. There is no playerbase they could upset, no negative image to correct (yet), and plenty of time to get it the way they want it.
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-14-2011, 02:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jupiter83 View Post
It could mean even more resources from STO siphoned off into Neverwinter
This isn't true. The truth is, we've been hiring and staffing up all of our game teams.

Folks, PWE is committed to helping us make STO the best game it can be. Anything else just doesn't make sense to them. It's incredibly awesome to be with a publisher who has our back, wants to see us grow and succeed, and is willing to make the investments needed to make that happen for all of our games.

Thanks,

Stormshade