Lt. Commander
# 21
11-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Reality is that it takes time for new staff to train up on tools and it make sense for them to get up to speed with the environment before releasing a whole lot of new work. Probably makes sense for them to be engaged in polishing the existing code base as well to help the learning process. I for one am happy to wait and see how things pan out in the months ahead. I've really enjoyed STO since I signed up early in 2010. Once the new guys, like the J Man, are up to speed I'm sure we will start to see the things that Dan was talking about start to materialize... Sure things have taken a lot longer than first promised, but Cryptic has gone through a huge upheaval over the last few months and it's easy to underestimate the impact that can have on an organisation. PW clearly has a very different focus to Atari and I'm sure things will work out great in time.
Lt. Commander
# 22
11-14-2011, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormShade
This isn't true. The truth is, we've been hiring and staffing up all of our game teams.

Folks, PWE is committed to helping us make STO the best game it can be. Anything else just doesn't make sense to them. It's incredibly awesome to be with a publisher who has our back, wants to see us grow and succeed, and is willing to make the investments needed to make that happen for all of our games.

Thanks,

Stormshade
I like that sounds very Cut and paste there. I know it takes time to make new content but 6 months to a year almost with out new content (BESIDES C-STORE ITEMS). If you add up all the stuff they added new to C-$tore. And break it down there have been more finer details entered into the c-store than input on any FE.

They are all for C-store than FE. Don't get me wrong they need to make some cash but I mean seriously come on. Nickle and dime people to death.
Lt. Commander
# 23
11-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Quote:
This isn't true. The truth is, we've been hiring and staffing up all of our game teams.

Folks, PWE is committed to helping us make STO the best game it can be. Anything else just doesn't make sense to them. It's incredibly awesome to be with a publisher who has our back, wants to see us grow and succeed, and is willing to make the investments needed to make that happen for all of our games.

Thanks,

Stormshade
^^^
heard ALl THIS BEFORE (multiple times) - actions speak louder then oft repeated PR spin. And sorry Stormshade - since March 2011, it's been the same story:

March 2011 - JUST WAIT until post season 4 (it has the tech we need); by September you'll see FE series 4 and GREAT NEW STUFF we can't talk about...

September 2011 - JUST WAIT until F2P launches (we need that out the door before we van REALLY get the new content out to you) - PLUS you can test the F2P changes and give feedback - STO's future has never been brighter...

October 2011 - We rrealize many people are not enthused about what's on the Tribble test server, but that's why it's a test server; WE ARE LISTENING TO YOUR FEEDBACK - it just takes us a while to implememt it - WE promise this is a LONG test period, we'll get F2P in oood shape; and THEN you'lll see new content (and the KDF will get a MAJOR content patch - but we can't talk about it.)

November 2011 (after some quite minor changes - restoration of ship tokens for Golds, auto dilithium refinement - REPLACEMENT of 250 emblams with a VA1 ship token ONLY IF you didn't hget it on a character prior to F2P - READ the majority of the existing playbase WON'T get a VA tolken because they altready got one during the 18 months of Subscription): testing's gone SO WELL (and we've implememnted feedback) that, even though thge rest of the MMO gamespace will have F2P access on 1/17/12 - we're allowing the current paying playerbase to see the F2P chamges on Holodeck the week of 12./1/11. We hope you're all excited at all the changes we made (yep all 3) based on player feedback and we're happy to CHARGE you all to make this game the best it can be for our NEW and IMPROVED playerbase. As fore content - just wait - it's coming - yes the future of STO has never been brighter...

So, please - after the MESS that the Tribble F2P beta has been with all the developer blogs written by marketing (and even updated by Stormshade on one occassion, even though it still was 'signed' by the temp Executive Producer); and the whole "Yes we understand your upset but Dilithium in Crafting is staying - WE PROMISE WE'LL FIX CRAFTING LATER (it's ALWAYS "later" with Cryptic of late it seems.)

We (the players) were told by Stephen D’Angelo (link to STOKED interview here) that (paraphrased) It is his chance to relaunce STO and make it the game it was meant to be...

Really? The F2P iteration we see forming on Tribble is "How STO was meant to be..."? I really wish I'd known that this was the model back when I made a decision (based on my time in closed beta) because I would have saved myself $300.00 US (between the LTS and the game box price)

Hell, maybe someone should re-show that interview to Stephen D’Angelo; because the REALITY of what's coming (a push to the LIVE server the week of 12/1/11; and the rest); seem at ODDS with the WORDS spoken by Mr. Stephen D’Angelo in that interview (IMO). The words there ARE good - but the actions taken since those words...not so much (IMO).
Lt. Commander
# 24
11-14-2011, 04:50 PM
Quote:
Folks, PWE is committed to helping us make STO the best game it can be.
As defined by the PWE business model...

The question which remains to be answered is does the PWE business model translate into making STO a great game for the players, or for those who benefit financially from it?
Lt. Commander
# 25
11-14-2011, 05:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobar26th
Any chance they might be willing to offer more information on upcoming FE Series? Sure we're all dying to hear that one
dont ya mean to atleast play 1 . i know i want to play the new arc.
Lt. Commander
# 26
11-14-2011, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
^^^
heard ALl THIS BEFORE (multiple times) - actions speak louder then oft repeated PR spin. And sorry Stormshade - since March 2011, it's been the same story:

March 2011 - JUST WAIT until post season 4 (it has the tech we need); by September you'll see FE series 4 and GREAT NEW STUFF we can't talk about...

September 2011 - JUST WAIT until F2P launches (we need that out the door before we van REALLY get the new content out to you) - PLUS you can test the F2P changes and give feedback - STO's future has never been brighter...

October 2011 - We rrealize many people are not enthused about what's on the Tribble test server, but that's why it's a test server; WE ARE LISTENING TO YOUR FEEDBACK - it just takes us a while to implememt it - WE promise this is a LONG test period, we'll get F2P in oood shape; and THEN you'lll see new content (and the KDF will get a MAJOR content patch - but we can't talk about it.)

November 2011 (after some quite minor changes - restoration of ship tokens for Golds, auto dilithium refinement - REPLACEMENT of 250 emblams with a VA1 ship token ONLY IF you didn't hget it on a character prior to F2P - READ the majority of the existing playbase WON'T get a VA tolken because they altready got one during the 18 months of Subscription): testing's gone SO WELL (and we've implememnted feedback) that, even though thge rest of the MMO gamespace will have F2P access on 1/17/12 - we're allowing the current paying playerbase to see the F2P chamges on Holodeck the week of 12./1/11. We hope you're all excited at all the changes we made (yep all 3) based on player feedback and we're happy to CHARGE you all to make this game the best it can be for our NEW and IMPROVED playerbase. As fore content - just wait - it's coming - yes the future of STO has never been brighter...

So, please - after the MESS that the Tribble F2P beta has been with all the developer blogs written by marketing (and even updated by Stormshade on one occassion, even though it still was 'signed' by the temp Executive Producer); and the whole "Yes we understand your upset but Dilithium in Crafting is staying - WE PROMISE WE'LL FIX CRAFTING LATER (it's ALWAYS "later" with Cryptic of late it seems.)

We (the players) were told by Stephen D’Angelo (link to STOKED interview here) that (paraphrased) It is his chance to relaunce STO and make it the game it was meant to be...

Really? The F2P iteration we see forming on Tribble is "How STO was meant to be..."? I really wish I'd known that this was the model back when I made a decision (based on my time in closed beta) because I would have saved myself $300.00 US (between the LTS and the game box price)

Hell, maybe someone should re-show that interview to Stephen D’Angelo; because the REALITY of what's coming (a push to the LIVE server the week of 12/1/11; and the rest); seem at ODDS with the WORDS spoken by Mr. Stephen D’Angelo in that interview (IMO). The words there ARE good - but the actions taken since those words...not so much (IMO).
/agree!!!! Could not have said it better, myself. /deepbow
Lt. Commander
# 27
11-14-2011, 06:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHARKFORCE View Post
Have you seen the F2P matrix? Gold members are still getting a poor deal,veteran rewards need 'tweaking' in our favor as well.I want our vet status,our 'grandfathered' accounts to mean something.

And this 'content push' you talk about....time will tell if there ever is going to be one.All we have seen from PWE so far is F2P in a way most of us don't care for.The 'new' Borg content and DOffs have been in the making for months now,well before PWE took over.

All I read is a lot of talk......and only that.Proof is in the pudding....it's time to let us taste it.
Your opinion about Gold Players is noted. I personally don't find it to be unfair in any way shape or form. I can understand your need to feel more important than silver players, I just have no such need myself.

Also, making analogies is one thing, my friend, but merely being hungry for a thing doesn't mean it's done cooking. Simply ignoring my point about why there isn't new content - namely because they're transitioning to free to play and restructuring much of the game which has needed drastic work since before beta - doesn't automatically revalidate previous arguments that they haven't announced or demoed a lot of new content. That argument is as circular s the kool-aid mans head.
Lt. Commander
# 28
11-14-2011, 06:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by reanimatedfish View Post
Your opinion about Gold Players is noted. I personally don't find it to be unfair in any way shape or form. I can understand your need to feel more important than silver players, I just have no such need myself.

Also, making analogies is one thing, my friend, but merely being hungry for a thing doesn't mean it's done cooking. Simply ignoring my point about why there isn't new content - namely because they're transitioning to free to play and restructuring much of the game which has needed drastic work since before beta - doesn't automatically revalidate previous arguments that they haven't announced or demoed a lot of new content. That argument is as circular s the kool-aid mans head.
Important? Nope. But the need to feel that even with $5 a month in C-Points, there's $10 a month worth of features on top of that for at least a year and a half? Yeah. I think that is fair.
Lt. Commander
# 29
11-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwardo_Cullen
So it sounds like PW doesnt want to release things before they are ready and dont mind taking more time to get it right. What do you think this means for the future of STO?
I've consulted in IT for some major corporations (primarily in the US) and in my experience, when a company is willing to let a planned release or launch date slip, it means that one or both of the following things are true:

1) There may be some problem with the new hardware/software that needs to be fixed

and/or

2) The company is willing to take a PR and/or earnings hit in order to make sure the hardware/software works properly before launch

Either way, that's A Good Thing. I can't tell you how frightening it is to be in the middle of a major IT package implementation that's going wrong, only to be told by the client that you're going live on the scheduled date NO MATTER WHAT.
Lt. Commander
# 30
11-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Quote:

Thanks,

Stormshade
Then, respectfully, remind them that games designed to be enjoyable get players willing to put money into the system,while games that are designed to nickel & dime players get abandoned, at least in the West.

The Dilithium grind-or-pay model is not setting this game up for success.

Make Dilithium earn-able (in small amounts, 50-100 per) by non-daily, non-repeatable PvE, it's already gated by Refining, there's no reason to require your players to do the same thing every day just to get better than bottom-of-the-barrel gear.

Remove Dilithium from Crafting, entirely, and put timers (as is done in the Doff System) and level-gates (as is done to limit crafters in CO) on crafting progression and put random grab-bags of Mats and timer-shortcuts on the C-Store, as well as special items which guarantee specific modifiers (which, to avoid the P2W issue, should be added to the STF Boss drop tables). Then, you have your route to C-Store purchases, gated gear acquisition, and the Dilithium Exchange while still allowing casuals and Fleet Crafters to craft.