Lt. Commander
You know, tactical, science and engineer? Well anyways I saw a list of things that the devs were working on and couldn't find it again to check or even know if it was real or anything but I saw something about possibly changing your race in the future and I was wondering if maybe someday soon we can change our careers? I'm tired of being an engineer and want to be a science officer since my BO's healing has to long of a cool down, and I really don't want to start over(mostly because LC 6 is the farthest i've ever gotten so I don't want to do it again). So does anyone know?

Oh and sorry if this was on the forums anywhere, I couldn't find anything about it.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-14-2011, 05:45 PM
I have never read anything other than players' desires to have species changing or career changing allowed in the game. No dev has ever commented that they were even considering it. I don't know where you read this but I seriously doubt its veracity.

Lt. Commander
# 3
11-14-2011, 06:32 PM
They've said multiple times that they're aware of players' desire for species changes and that it would likely not even be technically possible for awhile.

I never saw anything about profession changes but, really, I think they're similar enough that this should be respeccable.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-14-2011, 08:06 PM
People can change their career in real life way easier than they could their race and this is the future we are talking about so I would really like it, but I wont complain if they don't it would just be disappointing.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-14-2011, 11:07 PM
Yeah but in real life when people change careers they usually have to start over at the bottom... kind of like starting a new character.

I can understand the sentiment of wanting the option, but at the same time being able to totally respec/redefine your character at will sort of trivializes any "RPG" element there is, which really decreases the attachment you have to your characters in-game. It makes character selection a matter of finances and not gameplay (you have incentive to pick the right traits/specialization the first time, so you don't have to pay to respec later).

If you have only ever made it to LC 6, you haven't made it very far. Seriously I think you could start a new character and get back to LC 6 in an afternoon. On tribble with the faster leveling, you could literally do it in a couple of hours. I don't know how much you've played and when, but ever since the release of S4 and the new ground combat, missions go MUCH faster now because the pace of ground combat is a lot faster. Basically every mission only takes 50% as long now since you don't spend so much time shooting people on the ground.