Lt. Commander
A while back, one of the Cryptic staff made mention of the fact that Perfect World "knows what they're doing" with games, and that Cryptic would be "taking advice" for their games. so, I decided to try a couple PWE games, just to see how they work.

Here's a bit of comparison, just from what I've seen so far:

Star Trek Online:
- 3 characters Total (for gold), 2 Characters (for silver), more can be purchased for CP
- Level cap at 51
- "gear" is free, but ships cost dilithium or money. (after F2P conversion)
- All costumes except the default "Sierra" or "Antares" packs cost CP.
- able to reach max level within two weeks (my personal best was 12 days)
- 2 factions (UFP, KDF), possibly more coming
- ~20 races total, no class limitations for any
- full customization of character
- 3 classes, 3 ship types - a total of 9 total ship type / class combinations
- no "mounts" on the ground, but ship provides travel between mission points. Compensated by "sprint" and "full impulse" abilities.

Champions Online:
- 12 characters total (gold), 2 total (silver), more purchaseable for CP
- Level cap at 40
- gear is free (some accessories sold for CP)
- some costumes free, most sold for CP or "free for gold"
- leveling takes a decent amount of time (took me about a week or so to reach 20, but I haven't moved past that)
- 1 faction
- 12 or so archetypes, gold has access to "freeform"
- full customization of character
- no mounts, but "travel power" is free

Forsaken World:
- 8 characters per server (unsure of total across all servers)
- level cap at 80
- gear is free, mounts cost gold or eyrda leaves (equivalent to CP)
- armor is free, fashion costs leaves or available on exchange (bind on equip)
- takes a decent amount of time to reach max level (3 weeks in, and I'm around 50)
-1 one faction
- 5 races, classes limited based on class
- 6 classes
- Very little customization (skin color, hair color, other minor effects)
- mounts (temporary are free, permanent cost gold or leaves)

Those are the only 3 PWE games I've played, though I've heard "Perfect World" requires more money than these.

The one thing that stuck out to me was the number of characters. Most games I've played allow 5-6 characters per server. And yet Cryptic limits players to 2 characters by default, and charges them CP to get more slots. Now, I personally have bought a few slots, but always during sales. And this was before F2P.

The other thing is how fast the game is played through. This game is definitely a "casual" game, and I doubt I'll be spending much money on it. Not anymore, at least. And yeah, I'm talking about after F2P happens. I've played the beta, and I'm not happy with many of the changes. If they fix them, then I'll reconsider. Otherwise this will be just another "once in a while" game for me.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Champions Online is Cryptic's baby my friend. It was not made under PWE even if they now own it by owning its creator. It is a poor example of PWE's handywork and a beautiful example of what Cryptic used to deliver.

Go try out Perfect World International (their namesake port). I would link to it but that is... maybe forbidden? Hard to say considering it is owned by the same company that now owns these boards... but whatever... Go find it, not hard, and try it out and then tell me how it compares. Oh... and don't play it a little play it until you reach lvl 100.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-14-2011, 03:56 PM
I'd like to say that the Next Gen movie uniforms are also available for free in game.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-14-2011, 08:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinkuu_Akagan
Champions Online is Cryptic's baby my friend. It was not made under PWE even if they now own it by owning its creator. It is a poor example of PWE's handywork and a beautiful example of what Cryptic used to deliver.

Go try out Perfect World International (their namesake port). I would link to it but that is... maybe forbidden? Hard to say considering it is owned by the same company that now owns these boards... but whatever... Go find it, not hard, and try it out and then tell me how it compares. Oh... and don't play it a little play it until you reach lvl 100.
Oh I know, I've heard the horror stories about not getting past level 10 unless you pay real money. Forsaken World is actually their newer MMO, and it actually is free to play, more so than most games.

It just strikes me as funny that Cryptic has always limited STO players, even subscribers, to only 3 character slots by default, when many MMO's offer many slots, including other Cryptic and PWE games. STO was built before CO went F2P, and despite the success of that change, STO still limits the character slots.

Their reason? Limited resources. If that's the case, then why does CO offer 12 slots by default to its gold members, while STO still only has 3? The numbers don't add up at all.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-14-2011, 09:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela
Oh I know, I've heard the horror stories about not getting past level 10 unless you pay real money. Forsaken World is actually their newer MMO, and it actually is free to play, more so than most games.

It just strikes me as funny that Cryptic has always limited STO players, even subscribers, to only 3 character slots by default, when many MMO's offer many slots, including other Cryptic and PWE games. STO was built before CO went F2P, and despite the success of that change, STO still limits the character slots.

Their reason? Limited resources. If that's the case, then why does CO offer 12 slots by default to its gold members, while STO still only has 3? The numbers don't add up at all.
The CO toons don't own multiple ships that have many slots to fill and bridge officers with multiple powers and their own gear to slot. That's why.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-14-2011, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuatela

CO went F2P before PWE got involved however... Just keep that in mind.

In PWI you can get past lvl 10 easily enough without spending (assuming you find high level folks to do your hard quests for you while you sit back and watch.). It usually takes until you are past ~30 before things get ugly though no matter what the desire to spend tons of cash is omnipresent.

Why STO limits your number of Captians? Not sure... I mean in Champs it is just you. In STO it is you, your BOFFS, your Ships, soon your DOFFS... So there is a LOT more for them to keep track of and more use of their memory. So that might be part of their reasoning for that.