Lt. Commander
# 11
11-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevRaven View Post
I personally think STOked has done a good job at discussing the F2P changes and stuff without getting into rage, which does make for a more sensible conversation. Our community is made up of two groups, Star Trek fans and MMO players..two groups in which it's very difficult to please anyway, much less when they're combined.
Thanks

The other big thing I keep in perspective when shooting these episodes, STOked is picking up more and more general MMO players that are trying to learn about STO, the F2P details, and get a sense of the community.

We've got as many people watching STOked who play the game, as those who don't yet.

I take that responsibility seriously. That means I pick and choose my battles, and when I fire off about something it hits a bit harder as a result.
-Chris
Lt. Commander
# 12
11-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Fisher
It's people like you that drive my totally crazy. For the last two weeks I've been hearing NOTHING but how negative I am, how negative the show is, that we rant too much in the round tables... On and on.

Now this week, according to you, I only loft softballs and Cryptic.

This is nearly too much, more and more I'm not sure why I bother to make a podcast for such a difficult to please community. I question why I bother.
-Chris
That's what happens when you make yourself a public figure. Everyone has an opinion. Why are you doing this? To make money, you have sponsors and subscribers paying you to present news and entertainment. If this isn't what you thought it was cracked up to be, go back to working for someone else?
Lt. Commander
# 13
11-15-2011, 09:46 AM
Quote:
We're not forced to go on Tribble and stuff. If one wanted to play on the live server and not the test server, that's your choice. No one's forcing a player to select Tribble and forcing them to click engage.
I think you missed the point.
The F2P incarnation goes to LIVE in the first December week while F2P launch is 17 Jan 2012.
It's those 6 weeks of forced BETA that he means.
Lt. Commander
# 14
11-15-2011, 09:52 AM
Chris, and that's exactly why we need a podcast like yours! As I said, I have been listening and watching you guys since Episode 1, and I love the show principally. Also the 103rd episode is great! It's just that if you don't really speak out any demands from the playerbase, the devs think like everything is fully fine, which it's really not, at least not right now.

I don't know who told you that your round table was too hard on the game and too negative ... I never felt like that, and I loved when you got a bit critical at some time. That's how a podcast should be. Credit and gratitude where it's due, but also criticism where it's justified.

Keep it rolling, guys!

~ Meow
Lt. Commander
# 15
11-15-2011, 09:54 AM
I always felt like Chris and Jeremy were a nice balance and Jeremy was the more critical one. I never perceived Chris as negative at all towards Cryptic whereas I felt Jeremy was always a diplomatic representation of the more negative comments on the forums.

It's only been since Jeremy left that I've perceived Chris demonstrate any serious negativity.

So I have trouble seeing how anyone could say the old STOked was too negative and felt Chris did gloss things over, probably moreso than Jeremy. On the other hand, I have trouble seeing how the post-Jeremy shows are too positive and see them as containing a lot of necessary harshness.

Peregrine, in particular, strikes me as hardly a member of the "Cryptic Defense Force." He's not on these forums for a reason. If anything, he strikes me as curmudgeonly, often about as negative as you can get while still being reasonable. If he's "too glowing" in his assessment, I can't really understand where you're coming from. He strikes me as realistic to negative whereas Chris is the one who, historically, maybe tried to hard to see the bright side -- but I haven't seen that from Chris in awhile, honestly.
Lt. Commander
# 16
11-15-2011, 09:55 AM
Quote:
We're not forced to go on Tribble and stuff. If one wanted to play on the live server and not the test server, that's your choice. No one's forcing a player to select Tribble and forcing them to click engage.

I personally think STOked has done a good job at discussing the F2P changes and stuff without getting into rage, which does make for a more sensible conversation. Our community is made up of two groups, Star Trek fans and MMO players..two groups in which it's very difficult to please anyway, much less when they're combined.

I'm fortunate that Cryptic has given us the chance to test the F2P stuff and to offer our feedback on things rather than just having stuff pushed onto us. And I'm glad that STOked has dicussed the F2P issues, the good stuff and the bad, without resulting to rage or hyperbole. I continue to look forward to the weekly STOked episodes even with the slight change in format, and will peep this week's episode when I get back home.
I guess you haven't been keeping up with the announcements - or watched the STO Podcast as the F2P changes are going to the LIVE/Holodeck server the week of December 1 - 8/2011 - a full 6 weeks prior to the actual F2P launch date of 1/17/12. When those changes fgo to Holodeck, paid players will be testing whatever state teh F2P server client is on the date it's pushed.

I play on Tribble almost exclusively now, providing Feedback in the various forums, and as you said, that's my choice, andf I have no issues with it. I personally DO have an issue wtth Cryptic effectively forcing the paid playerbase to test the F2P client 6 weeks prior to the announce 'public' release date. From what I saw Chris of STOKed thinks this is a great idea.

I disagree.
Lt. Commander
# 17
11-15-2011, 09:56 AM
Chris, with regards to TOR it's competition, but yet similar to STO at the same time. I actually think they can complement one another.

Why? Because by the time people exhausted the storyline content, Cryptic surely will have new playable content. Just like how TOR now is filling our need for content while waiting for Cryptic to put in content in STO.

But that's me talking.
Lt. Commander
# 18
11-15-2011, 09:56 AM
*waves Nikki Fan Club sign*
Lt. Commander
# 19
11-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris-Fisher
This is nearly too much, more and more I'm not sure why I bother to make a podcast for such a difficult to please community. I question why I bother.
-Chris
No-one's forcing you to do it.

Ultimately, if you're not getting the satisfaction or respect from the community you feel you deserve, then you've got a choice:

Plod on each week and make yourself unhappier; resenting the enthusiasm you poured into the show to the point where you become consumed with self-loathing.

-or-

Take a break for the holidays and come back when the F2P turmoil has blown over.

Your choice.
Lt. Commander
# 20
11-15-2011, 10:13 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armsman View Post
I guess you haven't been keeping up with the announcements - or watched the STO Podcast as the F2P changes are going to the LIVE/Holodeck server the week of December 1 - 8/2011 - a full 6 weeks prior to the actual F2P launch date of 1/17/12. When those changes fgo to Holodeck, paid players will be testing whatever state teh F2P server client is on the date it's pushed.

I play on Tribble almost exclusively now, providing Feedback in the various forums, and as you said, that's my choice, andf I have no issues with it. I personally DO have an issue wtth Cryptic effectively forcing the paid playerbase to test the F2P client 6 weeks prior to the announce 'public' release date. From what I saw Chris of STOKed thinks this is a great idea.

I disagree.
these are changes to the game that they feel will be ready. the doff system, the task forces, the single currency, the ground invasion, end game gear, pug friendly task forces. these are all additions to the game that players have asked for or we would get regardless of f2p. certainly some of it has been made with f2p in mind but these are still updates to the game. people have been screaming for these updates for ages, especially the doff system and the ground invasion, and now they finally give it to us sooner than the january launch date. after the 8th december there will probably still need to be some extra testing on tribble to test out if what silver players experience is consistent with the f2p matrix but its important to get the build up live before you bring in new players. i would be shocked if they did it any differently and christmas breaks would slow things down for a couple of weeks.

yes there is a certain amount of the established player base testing it to make sure there are no final major kinks in the game, but surely anyone of us would want the new players to experience a seamless launch on the 17th. more players are better for the game. sometimes when transferring things from tribble to holodeck, new problems arise. do you want it to be a straight transfer on the 8th december for everybody and find there are still a few major unforeseen issues that wrecks new players perception of the game? if that needs us to give it a final once over then that will ultimately be good for the future of sto.
Closed Thread