Lt. Commander
In the 29th century Starfleet timeships monitor the timeline and preserve it. One of these ships, the Paradox, detected a ship from his time had gone back to 2409 only to be assimilated by the Borg. This event allowed the Borg to assimilate the entire galaxy, fluidic space, and begin the assimilation of other galaxies as well. Leaping into action to preserve individuality itself, Paradox time traveled to the moment when the future ship arrived in the past. When they arrived they were greeted by a massive chroniton minefield that disabled their ability to travel through time or space. The Paradox herself was the stranded ship that it had detected, and this was a Borg trap! As the cubes moved in, Captain Ducane did the only thing he could do: send out a 25th century Starfleet distress message...

The Save the Paradox fleet action would be very different than other fleet actions. Instead of defeating X number of ships the players would try to give the Paradox enough time to repair her time travel abilities. The players lose if the Paradox is assimilated.

To represent the level of assimilation of the Paradox their will be a bar at the top of the screen. While the bar is blue the Paradox's shields are up. The shields are reduced by damage done to them, and they regenerate normally. As the Paradox takes shield damage this bar shrinks from both sides. When it is gone their is a flashing white bar that represents a dampening field that prevents drones from beaming over. This lasts 1 minute. After that the Borg have adapted and can beam through. Next is a red bar that represents the level of assimilation of the ship. The Borg make this go up through tractor beams. I know this isn't exactly correct, but it lets the players know which cubes are assimilating it. As the level of assimilation grows so does the bar. The bar shrinks when there are no tractor beams on it. The players must keep the ship from 100% assimilation for 30 minutes. At 30 minutes the time ship escapes to the future and Borg transwarp out.

The Borg only devoted a small amount of resources to this idea because it was deemed unlikely to succeed. Once the Borg realized their plot to create a temporal paradox succeeded all Borg ships in the area are now transwarping in. The players will have to deal with theses reinforcements. Every minute to 2 minutes a new ship will appear. Their is a 20% chance it is a probe, a 40% chance it is a sphere, a 30% chance it is a cube, and a 10% chance it is a tactical cube. The starting ships are 10 cubes. Don't worry, they are firing on the Paradox .

The Paradox is a Relativity class timeship as seen in the Voyager episode Relativity. It's shields are twice the strength of strongest player shields possible in game. The ship can be buffed like any other allied ship. It doesn't return fire as it is saving its energy.

This is a Vice Admiral level fleet action.
Lt. Commander
# 2
01-10-2012, 05:12 PM
The mines would actually be Tachyon-Chroniton Mines.

Borg cubes and tactical cubes will use Tachyon-Chroniton torpedoes to slow the progress of the Paradox. This will add time to the clock.

Coming in first will give player the choice of either Tachyon-Chroniton Torpedoes or Mines at CrtD x3. They act as normal Chroniton mines/torpedoes except that they do additional damage to shields.
Lt. Commander
# 3
01-10-2012, 07:20 PM
If the players have the potential to loose the mission, then it is NOT a fleet action, but rather a Special Task Froce Mission.

I think the your temporal parodox is a cheap copy of the plot line from the Voyager episode "Future's End".

That being said, if the Federation Time Ship Parodox is an allied NPC ship that assists the player character stop another 29th century ship (say, the U.S.S. Relitivity) from the Borg, then I would support making this a mission. Failing that, you could try to make this a mission in the Foundry. Sooner or later, the power to make Fleet actions and STFs might get added.

Edit: I could also see the U.S.S Relitivity being the assisting NPC ship, and the U.S.S. Paradox being the ship under attack.
Lt. Commander
# 4
01-10-2012, 08:25 PM
Voyager has used causality paradoxes in several episodes (Year of Hell, Relativity, Parallax, off the top of my head). If my mission is a cheap parody of one, then they are cheap parodies of each other. It could also be said that it is a cheap parody of the Voyager episode One for that matter. What is interesting is this isn't a spacial anomaly. It's a trap. The Borg now have the ability to create temporal paradoxes. That makes it distinct.

Unless I am mistaken there isn't a Relativity class ship in the Foundry so a Foundry mission would lose it's coolness factor. Otherwise you would just use generic cruiser 2 or something.

That is a good point about it not being a Fleet Action.
Lt. Commander
# 5
01-10-2012, 11:21 PM
I just remembered the entire Borg plot is a causality paradox. The Borg were first encountered by the Enterprise D, but the were on their way because of a message sent by Borg in the NX Enterprise era who were from the events of First Contact. The events of First Contact wouldn't have happened if the Enterprise D hadn't encountered the Borg. A causes B causes C causes A.
Lt. Commander
# 6
01-11-2012, 03:16 AM
And why would starfleet not just shoot your "paradox" down in order to preserve timeline instead of defending it against the evil borg that come in masses to capture the ship?
Lt. Commander
# 7
01-11-2012, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schneemann View Post
And why would starfleet not just shoot your "paradox" down in order to preserve timeline instead of defending it against the evil borg that come in masses to capture the ship?
Because that's not how Starfleet operates...? Well, maybe in STO, but I think the idea of just shooting something because it's causing problems is frowned upon by Starfleet. I suppose it would take care of any temporal prime directive issues...

I like this idea!
Lt. Commander
# 8
01-14-2012, 05:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherrington
I just remembered the entire Borg plot is a causality paradox. The Borg were first encountered by the Enterprise D, but the were on their way because of a message sent by Borg in the NX Enterprise era who were from the events of First Contact. The events of First Contact wouldn't have happened if the Enterprise D hadn't encountered the Borg. A causes B causes C causes A.
(Rasberry tart fart!)

The NX Enterprise-Borg plot was a load of crap. The "message" to the collective was stolent straight from the TNG episode "Conspiracy" where the bluegill aliens took over Starfleet Command. Many sources state that this was suppose to be the tie in to intorduce the Borg(poorly at best). The Borg could have (and almost did) bring the 21st century collective to Earth In Star Trek: First Contact.

I do not consider Enterprise hard cannon unless their is a specific tie in with TOS,TNG, DS9, or VOY. It could be argued that the entire Enterprise series is just a holo-novel that Commander Riker ran during the 7the season of TNG, and is only LOOSELY based on one of the early Earth vessels named Enterprise.

Q (John de Lancie) introduced the Federation to the Borg threat separate from ANY temporal paradox BS.
Lt. Commander
# 9
01-16-2012, 01:38 AM
I would have to agree, this is an STF, not a Fleet Action.

Fleet Actions would mean you start at point A, work your way through underlings until you reach the boss character. Kinda like the Romulan Temple mission where you have to defeat the peons, then LTs, and finally Commanders and Captains as you go further up the pyramid, This sounds a little bit like Cure Space where you not only have to kill the Borg at the Drydocks, but also the Kang.
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-16-2012, 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilCell View Post
If the players have the potential to loose the mission, then it is NOT a fleet action, but rather a Special Task Froce Mission.
Erm... you know you can't actually lose Infected right?