Lt. Commander
There's something that I have found a little bit strange from the very beginning of STO -- as players level up, and their characters become more experienced, their starships are capable of moving faster at warp speed. No need to upgrade the warp engines on my trusty TOS Constitution! If I just work hard enough and earn enough pips on my collar, I'll be able to outrun some of 2409's newest ships with impunity.

Now, I understand this is meant to simplify ship outfitting and a number of other game mechanics. Nevertheless, I think that it makes a lot more "trek sense" and game sense to add warp engines as a category of in-game items:

- Add an entire new category of loot, which will ease the current shortage of endgame equipment options.
- Give players a series of choices to make, based on the properties of the new items.
- Add additional crafting items.
- Improve the "trekness" of the game.
- Additional buff options for new engine-related Duty Officer missions-- squeeze more juice out of the engines to get somewhere faster, etc.

Throughout the various trek series, we've heard of different types of FTL and warp propulsion. A quick look around Memory Alpha produced plenty of name options, most taken from Voyager:

Tricyclic Plasma Warp Engine
Coaxial Warp Engine
Transphasic Warp Engine
Soliton Warp Engine

...and there are of course plenty of other treknological names that might be used. Each style of warp engine would have different properties, perhaps manifested in passive buffs or through other mechanics. Higher mark engines would naturally be faster, with green, blue, and purple quality engines offering bonuses to speed or other properties. All are undoubtedly supported by various episodes or films:

Sublight maneuverability buff
Energy weapon buff
Shield buff
Stealth buff

Some engines could have stronger advantages than others, but with drawbacks -- poorer stealth, poorer evasion, lower power transfer rates.

I'm of the opinion that more customization and more equipment is generally better in a game such as this, where much of the fun revolves around outfitting your ship and crew. Thoughts? I don't know how feasible or realistic this system is, but I would personally like to see something more authentic for FTL travel.
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatinblueblazes View Post
There's something that I have found a little bit strange from the very beginning of STO -- as players level up, and their characters become more experienced, their starships are capable of moving faster at warp speed. No need to upgrade the warp engines on my trusty TOS Constitution! If I just work hard enough and earn enough pips on my collar, I'll be able to outrun some of 2409's newest ships with impunity.

Now, I understand this is meant to simplify ship outfitting and a number of other game mechanics. Nevertheless, I think that it makes a lot more "trek sense" and game sense to add warp engines as a category of in-game items:

- Add an entire new category of loot, which will ease the current shortage of endgame equipment options.
- Give players a series of choices to make, based on the properties of the new items.
- Add additional crafting items.
- Improve the "trekness" of the game.
- Additional buff options for new engine-related Duty Officer missions-- squeeze more juice out of the engines to get somewhere faster, etc.

Throughout the various trek series, we've heard of different types of FTL and warp propulsion. A quick look around Memory Alpha produced plenty of name options, most taken from Voyager:

Tricyclic Plasma Warp Engine
Coaxial Warp Engine
Transphasic Warp Engine
Soliton Warp Engine

...and there are of course plenty of other treknological names that might be used. Each style of warp engine would have different properties, perhaps manifested in passive buffs or through other mechanics. Higher mark engines would naturally be faster, with green, blue, and purple quality engines offering bonuses to speed or other properties. All are undoubtedly supported by various episodes or films:

Sublight maneuverability buff
Energy weapon buff
Shield buff
Stealth buff

Some engines could have stronger advantages than others, but with drawbacks -- poorer stealth, poorer evasion, lower power transfer rates.

I'm of the opinion that more customization and more equipment is generally better in a game such as this, where much of the fun revolves around outfitting your ship and crew. Thoughts? I don't know how feasible or realistic this system is, but I would personally like to see something more authentic for FTL travel.
I know what you mean. It would make sense if you can upgrade not only the impuluse engines but also warp engines. Not only upgrade the warp engines but add the different types of FTL becides the ordinary warp drive, transwarp and slipstream.
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-14-2011, 02:33 AM
I wouldnt mind having the impulse engine category renamed to the warp core. Since TOS established that the warp engines have a lot to do with effective combat manuevering, it would essentially increase all engine capability whenever you upgraded your warp core.
Edit: Random thought: modern starships all seem to have the eject warp core ability... that would be an interesting alternative to abandon ship or ramming speed.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-14-2011, 07:24 AM
i asked if we were gonna get Warp Engine equipment in one of those Ask Cryptics, buried now somewhere... the answer was an honest no. in addition, there were no 'this could change' or 'it's not on our radar yet' words at all... meaning they possibly don't intend to include them at all

it's a shame, but there it is.

granted, that could have changed in all this time, but it doesn't look likely with F2P right now
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-17-2011, 12:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav750k View Post
I wouldnt mind having the impulse engine category renamed to the warp core. Since TOS established that the warp engines have a lot to do with effective combat manuevering, it would essentially increase all engine capability whenever you upgraded your warp core.
Edit: Random thought: modern starships all seem to have the eject warp core ability... that would be an interesting alternative to abandon ship or ramming speed.
"Eject Warp Core" sounds interesting--I would imagine that it would provide a comparable explosion to "Abandon Ship", but would hit you as well, so you would have to either get away in a hurry with "Evasive Maneuvers" and "Ramming Speed", or else use buffs like "Brace for Impact" to endure it. (I imagine that you would eject your warp core and then get a 3 to 5 second countdown before it goes kaboom on everything within 2-3 km) It might also leave behind a cloud of plasma immediately surrounding the detonation site similar to that from the "Eject Warp Plasma" ability. To balance this it would need a long recharge time--at least ten minutes.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-17-2011, 04:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trek17
i asked if we were gonna get Warp Engine equipment in one of those Ask Cryptics, buried now somewhere... the answer was an honest no. in addition, there were no 'this could change' or 'it's not on our radar yet' words at all... meaning they possibly don't intend to include them at all

it's a shame, but there it is.

granted, that could have changed in all this time, but it doesn't look likely with F2P right now
Pretty much this, unfortunately. The idea is good. It makes sense. But Cryptic didn't come up with it during the design phase and then it was too late. We will not see them in this game, even though some of us very much want to and don't understand how it could be missed.
Lt. Commander
# 7 yes
11-17-2011, 06:26 AM
yes that would include different designs on ship interiors, like with each upgrade in rarity there would be a different design for the warp core when your on your engineering deck.