Lt. Commander
# 1 Mixed emotions.
11-16-2011, 10:43 AM
So today I logged in for a few minutes on my Fed main and KDF alt, and I saw the 500 day vet accolade pop. My initial reaction was that I was happy for a moment, but then I went back to the general empty feeling a lot of the current 500 plus day lifers and monthly subscribers have right now.

I mean sure, 500 days of sticking with this game is an accomplishment, but what incentive do I have to continue to 600 or 700? I haven't posted a lot, yet I read the forums daily and I know the general discontent and uneasy feeling of "waiting for the other shoe to drop" as this F2P conversion looms closer.

In just the past month a number of my fleetmates have quit playing STO because they felt the game just wasn't going in a positive direction, and decided to move on. I've told the remaining members of my fleet that we should all try and remain optimistic that the ship will be righted and that the game will turn the corner soon and get back to being on a positive track, but I am not sure I can even believe in that anymore.

I know I will never technically "leave" STO since I am a lifetime subber, but I would really like to have the feeling of optimism that it is growing and expanding for the better, like I did back in season 2 and even season 3. While some of the Tribble changes are intriguing, there just isn't enough there to make me feel that what was once a solid immersion into a great sci-fi universe and really fun experience, is now nothing more than a money-driven, commercialized exploitation of something with Star Trek in name only.

I used to feel that as a sci-fi fan and Trek fan, this game was for me. Now I feel like I am being left behind in favor of catering to a hardcore MMO grinder audience who aren't sci-fi fans, but people who play just simply to grind and buy things from an in-game shop to cap out. Sadly, many of my remaining fleetmates feel like this too. Maybe I am off base, and I'll gladly admit being wrong if the game flourishes, but my optimism and patience is wavering.

Pardon the rant, but sorry I just had to let this out.

Supreme
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme_heretic View Post
I mean sure, 500 days of sticking with this game is an accomplishment, but what incentive do I have to continue to 600 or 700?
Your name is blue, therefore continuing to 6, 7, 8, 9, and 1000 days costs you nothing more than you have already paid. I dont know how much content will be added in the future, but I know SOME will, and you can check in any time you want and play whatever is new without having to pay anything. So there is your reason
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Nagus, thanks buddy for the little pickup. Besides being the Grand Nagus, you are the "cheerer upper" Nagus too.
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-16-2011, 10:48 AM
Sadly for some (many?) of Us that have been around for a while...

You are not alone with these feelings...

I too am hoping for brighter days ahead.

Only time will tell.
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-16-2011, 12:26 PM
I had such high hopes and expecations for this game, maybe too high... the first mmo I ever was willing to pay a monthly fee for.
now i am just sad about the state of the game, yet there is still a bit of hope left.
I dont know what f2p and the future will bring, maybe the miracle of new players and the promised ton of content will happen, If not, I dont expect this game to live a lot longer and it will be a long time before another star trek mmo tries it (if ever).
It would be amazing to finally see this game live up to its enormous potential. Look at all those great foundry missions,There are a few near perfect foundry missions I was able to enjoy, they should hire those guys to produce content. For me its the foundry that keeps me going.
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-16-2011, 08:08 PM
Argentum, this was my first MMO as well. I have previously played consoles all my gaming life starting from the Atari 2600 up to my current xbox 360 S. Star Trek Online made me want to experience having a unique character in the Star Trek universe and really feeling the immersion that I could explore strange new worlds on the final frontier. Sadly though, it appears fans and players like you and I are getting left behind...
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-17-2011, 12:48 AM
Perfect example supreme, "Explore strange new worlds".
This is one (maybe the) aspect of the game with the most and at the same time totally wasted potential.
The Exploration missions have not changed since beta, they were and still are a joke. Some random map is created where you either kill 5 of this or beam down to a planet so you, as the commanding officer ,can scan some plants.
What do I have ensigns and crewman on my ship for? Have you ever seen a Vice Adminral beaming down to an unknown planet to scan rocks?
Take a look at the latest F2P Blog entry. I really try to be positive, but come on. Next FE sometime in February?
In my opinion the community should do the only thing it can do, coordinate and "strike" for like 2 days.
Maybe then we would get some attention.
But thats not gonna happen.
Infinite Space is gone too. Maybe its time to re-install birth of the federation again, does it run on win7?
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-17-2011, 12:59 AM
seems like all the games I play'd before. Don't understand why you all think this is different, unless it's your first.

Then again, I see the same posts on all the other game forums, I wish that someday, the true experts would "man up" and design the game they so think everything should be. Oh well I can dream....
Lt. Commander
# 9
11-17-2011, 01:28 AM
You may be right, probably even.
I realized that my expectations were unrealistic.
I played Guild Wars before, which from start did not have a monthly fee and no shop. Some might say that guild wars is no true mmo with all the instancing, but sto has just as much instances. It did a way better job right from start then sto.
What i expected when starting sto were non-stop (monthly) content additions, in-game live GM support, constant polishing of the game, more end game content than 4! stf´s, fast response to bugs and so on....
Nothing that would require witchcraft, just a commited dev team that makes me see what i pay a fee for.
As I have not played a game before which required a subscription (and I probably wont do it again) I have no comparision.
Please enlighten me, is this normal? Are my expectations naive?
Lt. Commander
# 10
11-17-2011, 05:22 AM
I don't pretend to know MMO type games thoroughly, since STO is the only one I have played. However, I know the games that have longevity are those with active customer support, and have regular content updates. This particular game to this point appears to have fallen short of the mark on both counts. Just saying.