Lt. Commander
# 1 Armek of Borg
11-16-2011, 05:42 PM
We all know (hopefully) that Locutus of Borg comes from the Latin verb loqui, which means to speak. Technically, Locutus means "spoke" but the writers meant for Locutus of Borg to mean The Speaker of Borg.

Having said that, is Armek a word in some other language that means something?
Lt. Commander
# 2
11-16-2011, 07:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post
We all know (hopefully) that Locutus of Borg comes from the Latin verb loqui, which means to speak. Technically, Locutus means "spoke" but the writers meant for Locutus of Borg to mean The Speaker of Borg.

Interresting... It should be noted though that Locustus was meant to speak to humanity for the Borg. Therefore, a word meaning "to speak," taken from what is a root language in many earth cultures makes sense.

Is this Armek of Borg part of the invasion of Defera? If so, we could assume that the word is derivative of a similar language root in Deferi civilization.

Just my two unrefined dilithium units worth...
Lt. Commander
# 3
11-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Is this Armek of Borg part of the invasion of Defera? If so, we could assume that the word is derivative of a similar language root in Deferi civilization.
armek is the final boss at the end of the cure ground run
Lt. Commander
# 4
11-16-2011, 08:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDK-187
armek is the final boss at the end of the cure ground run
Ah... I haven't done any of those missions. My gameplay is extremely limited so I stick to solo play for the most part...

Thank you for clarifying...
Lt. Commander
# 5
11-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by atatassault View Post

To me, Armek was a rewording of "A Mech". After the guy is a tank. :p
Lt. Commander
# 6
11-16-2011, 08:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainQuirk View Post
Interresting... It should be noted though that Locustus was meant to speak to humanity for the Borg. Therefore, a word meaning "to speak," taken from what is a root language in many earth cultures makes sense.

Just my two unrefined dilithium units worth...
You could still be onto something here, as Armek is an assimilated Klingon General. The name Armek may have some signifigance to the Klingons.
Lt. Commander
# 7
11-17-2011, 05:43 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUL_EVEK
You could still be onto something here, as Armek is an assimilated Klingon General. The name Armek may have some signifigance to the Klingons.
I think it's significance is more earth bound. I can't find its origin, but just to name a few Armeks that turned up in a search:

-DC comic character
-C-canon model of shield generator in the Star Wars universe (seen in SWG and several novels)
-A number of companies use the name, top result on Google is a chemical pump manufacturer
-A rap group in Massachusetts
Lt. Commander
# 8
11-17-2011, 06:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurian View Post
To me, Armek was a rewording of "A Mech". After the guy is a tank. :p
http://quake.wikia.com/wiki/Armagon